How do you play MonsterHunt?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

evilgrins

God of Fudge
Sep 9, 2011
Palo Alto, CA
unreal-games.livejournal.com
Yesterday paper played one of my map edits and said he was quickly overwhelmed, which got me to thinking. Map in question averages about 10 to 15 minutes playtime and while it's got a nearly endless legion of foes, eventually the counters wind down and their troops run out of supplies.

I've seen this edit of mine played on someone's server before, and when I played it with other players what struck me odd was they all cowered in their base and tried to snipe the legions of BetaKrall from a safe distance... which seemed weird to me.

· More often than not I play MH with the Excessive health/ammo regenerator on, which keeps bringing me back to 300 health.
· Very rarely go the sniper route. With any monsters I fight I'm usually fighting them nose to nose, with a rocket launcher or minigun or pulse gun. I fight in very close quarters against most every monster type.
· I have backup in the form of bots, usually 4 and sometimes 8 depending on circumstances.
· Not one to use limited lives in MH. I've got an unlimited amount so I'm not terribly worried if I get killed.
· Tend to cruise the redeemer about 10 feet above the heads of my enemies and explode it above them, gibbing dozens at a time.
3748805_original.png

Playing without bots or other human players makes little sense to me in MH. If I wanted to fight on my own against overwhemling odds I'd do SP; Single-Player campaigns.

How do you (whoever's reading this) play MH?

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
I used to play it mainly on 3s server. 3 ran it on the highest skill level, no superpowerup/health mutators and hard maps such as "the great escape". That's a long time ago, though. It was actually more fun this way iirc. We actually went into the inmost dens and fought the beasts up close. And we were a good team as well. Knew how to rely on eachother, give good cover etc. Nothing worse than playing a team match when everyone's playing solo.
Those maps with tentacels firing deemer missiles at superhigh velocities and monsters with a billion health points, or endless streams... they really got old rather quickly.
But most people just wanted to fire a million rounds with a million health points iirc...

AlexCoal

Oct 13, 2023
Interesting observations! Everyone has their own playstyle when it comes to MH, and it's always fascinating to see how different players approach the same situation. Like you, I also prefer close-quarters combat and rarely go the sniper route. That adrenaline rush from being up close and personal with the enemy is just unbeatable!

However, I've also played with many who prefer to stay back and snipe. They argue that it's more strategic, and they enjoy the challenge of precision aiming. I think it all boils down to personal preference and the mood you're in.

I love playing with bots too, as it feels more like a team effort. But sometimes, for a change, I try tackling maps solo just to test my skills and see how far I can go. I guess it's about finding that balance between wanting a challenge and just wanting to have fun with friends or AI teammates.