Ten Years eXpanded MultiPlayer: A view back and a little surprise :)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

nb_steel

Kill Xmp I Kill ¥ØÚ!!!
Aug 23, 2005
Looks great. I look forward to watching the development process. Looks promising already!

EQ²

Code Monkey
Oct 30, 2004
Near Birmingham, UK
www.teambse.co.uk
Jesus, Saiboat, what have you created!? Looks awesome dude, all the best with it.

Looks cool so far. I am interested.

UTXMP didn't really split the community. U2XMP was already dwindling by the time it came out. Also, UTXMP was far less buggy in the end and it would have just been better for everyone to marshal behind it instead of sticking to U2XMP forever (and I loved U2XMP).
I'd say it's impossible really to say. I think a lot of people (at the time, myself included) blamed the exodus to UTXMP for U2XMP's decline but of course it's really impossible to say whether it would have happened or not on its own. I think the biggest disappointment in retrospact was really the abandonment of the UTXMP project which disenchanted many and caused them to leave the **XMP community altogether, when perhaps both would have had a longer life had that not occurred.

All water under the bridge now, I just do my best to keep what remains of U2XMP's legacy alive, and great props to people like Sai who are able to keep the legacy of **XMP alive in a more tangible way with projects like this one.

EDIT: oh, I thought I was replying to the end of the thread, didn't see the "page 2" there

Last edited:
Can't believe my stupid map RGB became so popular, while my other maps didn't fair too well, but I don't actually remember if I released them or not. Still have them on my computer somewhere.

Looks great though. Good luck with the project. Maybe I'll get back in to it one day.

Mar 6, 2004
Can't believe my stupid map RGB became so popular, while my other maps didn't fair too well, but I don't actually remember if I released them or not. Still have them on my computer somewhere.

Looks great though. Good luck with the project. Maybe I'll get back in to it one day.

Small low grav map making it much easier to frag and brag about how we are the best ever? Surprised there were not more maps that way. People love the small maps aswell for some reason....don't need no HUGE map for 8 players aka Demilune but people loved the tiny maps. I never really liked them, i wanna play and move around the map rather then just frag bitches.

Last edited:

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
Sounds like U2XMP suffered Quakeworld syndrome.

Cheats made a 'standard', player numbers dwindling due to it, and constant failed 'revivals' to get people to play against their high 'skilled' (as in picmip, brightskins) selves. and of course, the only players left to play with are in Europe...which isn't really ping balanced with the larger potential audience.

not to mention fake playercounts on most servers to try and gauge interest with faux popularity
Sounds like a lot of multiplayer; UTXMP included.

»TWJ«RIkimaru

»TWJ« lives on in our hearts
Jul 12, 2017
discord.gg
Well, now i feel kinda old. What happend to utxmp? Are there still Server online? or u2xmp would also be nice :p
Really miss the good old times.

Saiboat

Apr 14, 2004
Has that happened?
Unfortunately not. Reasons (aka excuses) are real life, uni, work, UT development being unreliable, difficult to devlop a mod in the current state of the pre-alpha, also no work at all on vehicles coming from Epic Games.
The code for the mod is open sourced on GreatEmerald's GitHub profile:
https://github.com/GreatEmerald/UT4XMPGameMode
However, it would take a lot of effort to make it work with the current build of UT.

Well, now i feel kinda old. What happend to utxmp? Are there still Server online? or u2xmp would also be nice :p
Really miss the good old times.
Me too buddy. I'm playing TF2, Overwatch, DOOM etc. but nothing really scratches the itch like U2XMP did back in the days.
We desperately need a large map shooter with vehicles. There's nothing out there at the moment. BF1 meets those cirteria but its more on the realism side of things :(

EQ² the madman still has the masterserver up and two servers running. The third server is Dusty's from France AFAIK:
http://ms.aybab2u.com/
You can allways go to the Steam XMP community group and ask if people are wanting to schedule a session:
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/xmp

I don't think it's really played today sadly.
Let's hope Epic get their act together and continue making progress on the next UT. Maybe when it's done in a couple of years it will be easy to add a quick movement mutator like Aksen did for UT3.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
It says there are 0 servers currently and has been that way for a while, at least for me.

Saiboat

Apr 14, 2004
It says there are 0 servers currently and has been that way for a while, at least for me.
jbgZh5k.png

Maybe you have to update the master server or smth? IIRC EQ²'s installer from http://xmpcommunity.com/ had an option for that in the settings somewhere...

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
I mean even on the wesbite I don't see it. I don't have the machine where u2xmp is connected to the internet right now though. But something is wrong with the communication obviously. I don't see any servers and couldn't see even before.

It's like a block of some kind.