Nostalgia

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
do you guys keep Unreal Tournament installed on your machine?

all my fancy modern video games are great and stuff...
but sometimes I just ache for this old feeling. and I'll just fire up UT99 on the laptop, broadcast it to the big screen with the surround sound stereo in the living room, and it's like fucking reliving my childhood or something. it's a rush of comfort and familiarity that's like going home for Christmas.

am I alone?

like here, play these 2 videos at the same time. close your eyes.

/memories

leilei

ANIME ELF'S !!
Jan 20, 2008
It's still installed because I never deleted it

also you're lucky with your laptop's UT experience. UE1 and dynamic speed switching CPUs don't mix.

As far as nostalgia goes with UT to me it's only the demoscene-ish soundtrack that does it since i've been listening to stuff like that many years earlier, going back to Unreal....this unreal that is

tomcat ha

Feb 2, 2002
Visit site
i reinstall ut and 2k4 every once in a while just like with TA.
i reinstalled civ3 today for the first time since i played civ4 but i just felt that urge too.

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
Unreal, UT, 2K3, 2K4, UT3 have been on every machine I have built since the late 90's. I just copy the installations from one system build to another....my install folders are actually still the original folders.

No reason not to keep them around; storage is cheap and nostalgia aside, they are still a blast to play.

gopostal

Jan 19, 2006
UT2003...still installed on my machine.
Are there any servers still for that version? I really enjoyed playing Mercury Missiles DM. There was a clan keeping the fire going a few years ago, I wonder if they are still around.

Hellkeeper

Soulless Automaton
Feb 16, 2014
France
hellkeeper.net
Are there any servers still for that version? I really enjoyed playing Mercury Missiles DM. There was a clan keeping the fire going a few years ago, I wonder if they are still around.
Just took a look at the in-game browser, looks like it's just bots playing on the servers.
Can't say UT2003 is the one I launch the most, unfortunately. But hey, if a friend wants a game, I'm always in.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Yeah it's there. I fire up the game once in a blue moon.

It looks terrible now, and it has for quite some time. The feeling has mostly worn off for me. It was a great, fun game though. I've really had my share of good times with UT. But that's the past. Maybe somewhere in the future the vibe might return with a vengeance. Who knows.

Sometimes I do miss the coop sessions on 3s monsterhunt. That was last decade. Mainly. Thanks to UT oldskool I got the most out of Unreal. Without UT spicing it up Unreal bored me.

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
It looks terrible now, and it has for quite some time. The feeling has mostly worn off for me.
aw :(
say it ain't so.

it's not like I play it very often, but I can't bring myself to walk away yet.
those cute lil' war cows still give me the feels!

tGFJxdJ.jpg

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
I understand that.
And Warcow used to be my favourite. Sure, another biped but compare that to those dull human models.
Not to mention how well it matched with countless voicepacks. Especially chewbacca. ..

Ah I've played that game too much that's all. Yes, that is possible :D
But I'm keeping it though.

Al

Reaper
Jun 21, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I feel the same as Neo. I'll watch people on Twitch duel in the new UT every once in a while, but that's about as far as my interest goes these days.

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
When my last computer died I lost all my UT franchise installs (I saved the hard disc) but I never got around to installing any of the games on the new rig under W7. (About that time I was getting heavily into RPG's; Fallout franchise, the Elder Scrolls franchise).

I have thousands of maps, mods, total conversions and the rest burnt to CD's as an archive. (Same for the original Dooms but that takes me even further back in time).

I certainly feel nostalgic for the games.

The BU flame wars......

Nali City map discussions......

All that great FPS gaming. Unreal and UT were a whole era for me.

I have the discs and I would install them again. At this point I have been stuck on space sims like Space Engineers and Elite Dangerous Horizons.

leilei

ANIME ELF'S !!
Jan 20, 2008
Deus Ex makes me nostalgic for the same similar reasons (same composers, same aforementioned demoscene influence). however unlike UT there's an engrossing single player experience in there, so the throwback soundtrack is icing on the fine rpg cake.

AVOID INVISIBLE WAR HOWEVER. THAT'S A DORK GAME and doesnt hold any relatable nostalgic value if UT is your thing

Last edited:

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
now that you mention SF, it makes me nostalgic for Tekken.
can't remember the last time that I played a legit, straightforward arcade fighter. with a health bar, and fucking combos and stuff lol. everything is so complex nowadays.

DooM is also one of those games I usually keep on my laptop at all times.
replaying random DooM levels will never get old. which sometimes also makes me nostalgic for Serious Sam. did you guys play Serious Sam?

also; Duke Nukem :lol:

Reactions: Al

gopostal

Jan 19, 2006
Sometimes I do miss the coop sessions on 3s monsterhunt. That was last decade. Mainly. Thanks to UT oldskool I got the most out of Unreal. Without UT spicing it up Unreal bored me.
If you ever feel like checking it out you can install Unreal and grab Smirf's patch from OldUnreal. I think you'll be very pleasantly surprised at what's capable in Unreal now. It has surpassed UT by a large margin and aside from bandwidth and ragdoll it can pretty much do anything UT2004 can do. I run a coop server geared to looking around these great maps. PM me and I'll set you up with a semi-admin account and you can god/ghost/fly all you want and enjoy the old gems.

These are some Dragons I was working on. It's all done in Unreal:

BTW, has anyone heard or seen 3 lately? His email bounces now.