Gears of War: Ultimate Edition coming to PC

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Hunter

BeyondUnreal Newsie
Aug 20, 2001
...Behind You...
www.unrealfans.com
PC Gamers haven't had much love from Microsoft in recent years and that's because Gears of War was such a massive hit on the Xbox.

Now Microsoft is looking to right those wrongs and has announced that that Gears of War: Ultimate Edition is coming to PCs running Windows 10.

Just announced at the @PCGamer E3 Briefing... Gears of War: Ultimate Edition will be coming to Windows 10! #GearsPC pic.twitter.com/tv64N1VmAH

-- Gears of War (@GearsofWar) June 17, 2015

[GU]elmur_fud

I have balls of Depleted Uranium
Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
mywxwri.jpg

Hooray for arbitrary OS requirements! Yipeee!............... Seriously lame attempt to bolster sales there. If not for that I might be excited. I have 7, so I can upgrade to 10 and all... I just dislike the stupidity. What's next? Requiring me to have a copy of MS office or use IE?

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
If you haven't noticed, a lot of previously or at least frequently XBox exclusives are now coming back to PC. Fable Legends, Killer Instict and Halo games have all made it (albeit only poor twin stickers).

PC is by far the biggest market, so I suspect Microsoft are testing the waters again.

[GU]elmur_fud

Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
Maybe because Windows 10 supports DirectX 12 and previous versions of Windows don't?
Yes. Except that my cousin has it already (leaked beta) and in its current build at least there isn't any valid reason that it has to use DX12. Maybe the mentioned 4K support which isn't there yet is part of DX12...

It certainly doesn't look like it has any advantages over DX11.

Al

Reaper
Jun 21, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Gears Ultimate will use DirectX 12. Thus the need for Windows 10.

Regardless, complaining about needing a FREE upgrade to Windows is kind of dumb. I could understand if you had to pay for it.

There's always the Xbox if you really want to play Gears.

Last edited:

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
I don't see the point in this release. I have the original PC release of Gears on my shelf and unless the game is totally just borked now because of GFWL, I can just pop that in and play that.

How about release Gears 2 and 3 instead. Screw Judgement I heard it was poop anyway.

ravenus

The Heretic
Oct 7, 2000
India
Visit site
What is GoW Ultimate Edition, how does it differ from vanilla GoW? I would have thought that this was a compilation release of all the previously release GoW games into one package.

[GU]elmur_fud

Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
Gears Ultimate will use DirectX 12. Thus the need for Windows 10.

Regardless, complaining about needing a FREE upgrade to Windows is kind of dumb. I could understand if you had to pay for it.

There's always the Xbox if you really want to play Gears.

I am not complaining about that. I find it to be a cheap and boorish marketing ploy for 10. The game, in beta, runs fine on 7. So what it boils down to is 'what are they adding that makes 10 a requirement?' According to everything I have read it isn't anything save 4k support. Which is awesome mind you. But are they going to require you to have a 4k monitor to play the game? Doubtful. So it will support more common monitors also, which means the assets are in place to run on 8.1 and 7. Sure you can have a free upgrade which makes support semi redundant but if it is currently backwards compatible and should remains so logically, why tout it as an exclusive? There are only 2 answers Marketing ploy or MS isn't telling us something... Knowing them either is possible.

What is GoW Ultimate Edition, how does it differ from vanilla GoW? I would have thought that this was a compilation release of all the previously release GoW games into one package.
Supposedly a HD remastering of all game assets and possibly some other stuff.

StalwartUK

Feb 12, 2008
England
This whole thing is starting to sound like a repeat of Halo 2 Vista.

Wouldn't surprise me if people eventually figure out a way to get it to run on Windows 7/8.1.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
... I suspect Microsoft are testing the waters again.

Nah, they're in the process of slowly merging Xbone with Windows 10, as a result of that most XBONE games will be ported for the same OS, Win10.

I wouldn't calling it "Testing the waters", more like trying to litterally own the PC market. They couldn't with Games for Window Live / MS games Marketplace, so they'll do it by a free Windows 10 upgrade. Fucking brilliant if you ask me.

LgG4plL.jpg

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
My guess is it will only be on the Windows Store and loaded with crappy Xbox Live new incarnation of GFWL.

dinwitty

DeRegistered User
Nov 10, 1999
midwest,USA
www.qtm.net
what I am hearing the Win10 is supposed to be able to run any Xbox games. Win10 may be free, but theres the catch, buy games and software from MS...
at any rate I am waiting for win10 it should be nextgen capable (thats PCIe 4.0 guyz)

and yeh, GOW wasn't on PC till some roundabout Russian maker ported it over some quiet EPIC day (2 weeks!), the game altho interesting, it has the console overtones all over it. Porting it over won't change that. In the time we wanted to see an Unreal 3 they did this. Hmmprh

Last edited:

dinwitty

DeRegistered User
Nov 10, 1999
midwest,USA
www.qtm.net
from Dualshockers

During the San Diego Comic Con panel held for Gears of War: Ultimate Edition, The Coalition Studio Head Rod Fergusson talked in more detail about the differences between the Xbox One version and the PC version.

After reiterating that the PC version supports 4K resolution, DirectX 12, unlocked frame rate and all the Windows 10 features including Xbox Live, GameDVR and screenshots, he mentioned that back in 2007 the PC version was simply a port of the Xbox 360 version.

This PC version is not a port. It’s enhanced greatly, and all the content is “authored at a much higher rate.” There are 4K textures all the way through the environment. For Xbox One the team had to resize them appropriately, but on the PC they could just “turn off those clamps and unlock it fully, and the world just becomes super crisp.”

Recently the team tested the game at 4K on a 70” TV and it was “mindblowing.” According to Fergusson, at $39.99 it’s a great deal to go back and get ready for Gears of War 4.

Fergusson also mentioned that the PC version launched in 2007 has five new chapters, that were actually cut from the game when they were trying to ship the Xbox 360 version in time. For the Ultimate Edition (both for Xbox One and PC) they took those five chapters and integrated them into the campaign where they should have been. They are about two hours worth of content.

All these years they have suckered and reduced quality to fit into the console.

I thought having named it the Ultimate edition all the other gears games would be included......Well?

not so ultimate if its just the first gears...

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I agree, I thought it would be the whole trilogy so far and coming to PC would have been huge. Who cares about just the first game at this point? Where's my Master Chief... I mean Marcus Fenix Collection?

Reactions: Al

leilei

ANIME ELF'S !!
Jan 20, 2008
If "play xbox games" doesn't mean playing Metal Wolf Chaos or UC2 then idgaf