Making Windows 8 not suck

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

cryptophreak

unbalanced
Jul 2, 2011
So UNIX is still the gold standard of computing and all hail Richard M. Stallman and blah blah blah, but I actually have to set up a secondary Windows machine and I want it to not suck. Windows 7 is losing mainstream support next month so I want to use 8, except that this touchscreen bullshit really gets on my nerves. I just want an efficient UI that gets the fuck out of my way. Suggestions?

Also, what ever happened to Launchy? It used to be my favorite thing in the world and yet it appears abandoned and half-working.

Al

Reaper
Jun 21, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Classic Shell

Makes your start menu work just like it did in 7. I've been using it since 7 (I use 8.1 now) because I like the old school start menu from the Win9x days. But you don't have to use that one, it's totally customizable. It's also freeware.

skins.gif

Last edited:

[GU]elmur_fud

I have balls of Depleted Uranium
Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
Classic shell is just one solution. It is possibly the best one, but through a lot of registry hacks you can bring back the start menu without any 3rd party application and/or shell patching. I did a quick Google search but didn't find the info, I believe I read it on msdn technet...

This page contains info on what setting to tick to boot straight to desktop:

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/make-windows-8-8-1-look-like-windows-7-xp/

Of course there are many other facets of the ui of previous iterations that you may want to add. Just searching 'windows 8 shell customization' should bring up more results then you would ever want.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
How to get rid off the panels Windows 8 starts up with ? I just want to use Explorer and have a start menu.

[GU]elmur_fud

I have balls of Depleted Uranium
Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
Windows 7 is already losing support? That can't be right. It seems it was just a couple of months ago Microsoft dropped XP support.

Anyway, in 8.1 it's pretty easy to make Windows boot to the desktop without any external programs, just a quick right click on the taskbar.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2043243/how-to-boot-to-desktop-mode-in-windows-8-1.html

*Cough*

[GU]elmur_fud;2614214 said:

This page contains info on what setting to tick to boot straight to desktop:

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/make-windows-8-8-1-look-like-windows-7-xp/

Though a little redundancy probably doesn't hurt given how daft loading into the app center is.

It might also be a good thing to point out some of these custom shells come with there own app market which I personally at least find slightly dubious.

Big-Al

amateur de bière
Jun 14, 2003
Under a black flag.
www.ttrgame.com
"To give you complete control over all the configurable options in Windows at a single press of a button just simply create a new folder anywhere and rename it to this: GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C} The folder you create will now have 270 items that are to do with configurable options in Windows 7. Interestingly it also works for XP & Windows 8.1 as well."

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
[GU]elmur_fud;2614218 said:
*Cough*

Though a little redundancy probably doesn't hurt given how daft loading into the app center is.

Sorry. I missed your phrase about booting to desktop. Will try it out on the portable.

Jefe

The Dark Rat
Nov 11, 2008
T E X A S
www.vgmp3.org
[GU]elmur_fud;2614218 said:
*Cough*

It might also be a good thing to point out some of these custom shells come with there own app market which I personally at least find slightly dubious.

Different things - I was showing him how to enable boot-to-desktop without third-party software, which I don't see on your link. ;)

"To give you complete control over all the configurable options in Windows at a single press of a button just simply create a new folder anywhere and rename it to this: GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C} The folder you create will now have 270 items that are to do with configurable options in Windows 7. Interestingly it also works for XP & Windows 8.1 as well."

Whoa. That is awesome.

Last edited:

cryptophreak

unbalanced
Jul 2, 2011

KaL976

*nubcake*
Nov 28, 2003
Cardiff | UK
Visit site

well fuck me gently with a chainsaw... how did I not know this :notworthy:

Arcturus

Not From Bloody Starcraft
Jan 23, 2000
Totally Not Korhal IV
Personally I use Start8, it gives you a pretty nice Start Menu which fits in nicely with the UI theming of Win8. It costs a fiver or so but once you have it, you have it. Though I got this when it was Win8 was fairly new, and ClassicShell is probably just as good now.

You'll still have to go into the options of Win8 itself and disable the annoying bits like Charms if you want a bullshit-free experience, though. Some of the default filetype associations use full screen metro apps as well, which is slightly annoying, but you'll end up replacing them with your own stuff before long anyway.

tomcat ha

Feb 2, 2002
Visit site
I've been using classic shell since december and i like it. Win 8 generally is nicer than 7 except for metro. It just seems less stable too.

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
...Windows 7 is losing mainstream support next month...

Windows 7 is already losing support? That can't be right. It seems it was just a couple of months ago Microsoft dropped XP support.

It’ll still get critical security updates as part of the extended support cycle until January 14, 2020, but mainstream support ended January 13, 2015:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle

Yes, but this only means that Microsoft will not be actively developing any new features for Windows 7, which they already haven't been doing for a while. There is no good reason to upgrade if you're happy with Windows 7 and own no touch devices (like me.) I have a copy of Windows 8 Pro that I got for free and I don't even use it.

Some people say Windows 8.1 is a bit faster than 7, some say it's not, and benchmarks also tend to point both ways depending on which website you're getting them from. In my own testing there was no noticeable difference. If you're a desktop user like me, the new file transfer dialog is nice and I like what they've done with the task manager (except for the fact that it takes ten fucking seconds to start, whereas it's instant in Windows 7 and XP) but otherwise 8 has nothing that makes the upgrade worth it.

Last edited: