Hard Reset

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
Link to some drooling about the game

Dunno if you guys have been following this game at all, but the Demo has been out on Steam for a few days. I played through it and I can say that the game is pretty snazzy looking, has an EXCELLENT look and controls very solidly. This is a game in the olden style, meaning no cover, no regenerating health, no reload. Just kill things with your guns. Switch between different kinds of weapons, use your secondary fire and make use of the environment.

Truthfully, while I enjoyed the demo well enough, I never particularly cared for this style of game. I LIKE cover and people only taking a few shots before their down. On the other hand, it isn't a game like Serious Sam which DELIGHTS in being completely ridiculous and over the top. There are not a bajillion enemies swarming over your screen all the time, the weapons are not silly, etc. It is just good, clean, classic shooting things a lot until they die. If you miss this kind of game, you will be thrilled. If you, like me, prefer modern games, you will be less thrilled. Either way, check out the demo.

hardrest4-4e3961d-intro-thumb-640xauto-24284.jpg

Sjosz

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Dec 31, 2003
Edmonton, AB
www.dregsld.com
After trying the demo, I hard resetted that thing off my harddrive. There's seemingly just nothing there that sets it apart. Looking pretty doesn't count.

Apr 11, 2006
It looks good but I really question the whole weapon upgrade system. I guess it's more believable to only carry two weapons that can configure themselves to function in many different ways, but when I watched a demo of this game I could not distinguish visually between the weapon states/modes. The implausibility of having 10 guns strapped to your back is better to deal with than the problem of not being able to tell what your gun is going to shoot when you pull the trigger.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
This is a game in the olden style, meaning no cover, no regenerating health, no reload. Just kill things with your guns. Switch between different kinds of weapons, use your secondary fire and make use of the environment.

Yep that right there was enough to put the game on my watch list. Hell finding out the painkiller devs helped out with the title was a joy to hear. Downloading now so hopefully won't be disappoint

After trying the demo, I hard resetted that thing off my harddrive. There's seemingly just nothing there that sets it apart. Looking pretty doesn't count.

Wasn't CoD enough for ya eh :)

Slainchild

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2004
London, Ontario
www.slainchild.com
Thought the demo was pretty terrible.

There are no good bits from Painkiller in there, like the fast movement and fun weapons, only hordes of boring robots. The level design was simple flat corridors, cluttered with annoying crap. Weapon switching is slow as fuck, and they were unsatisfying to use.

They spent too long making super sharp textures and shitty particle effects and not on the actual game behind it.

Sjosz

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Dec 31, 2003
Edmonton, AB
www.dregsld.com
Wasn't CoD enough for ya eh :)

I sincerely dislike CoD, but sure. It just didn't feel like it had anything going for it that gave it an identity of its own. The guns don't appear to be all that crazy or different, the fact that you don't reload is not exactly a selling point, the enemies were tiny or slightly bigger robots in waves with a bunch of the same type of environmental explosive to use. There was no kick-ass moment in it at all. As far as demos go this one was pretty boring.

Kyllian

if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;
Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
when I watched a demo of this game I could not distinguish visually between the weapon states/modes.
Yea, between the standard and "electrothrower" modes there isn't much change beyond the energy ball becoming smaller, the fins/teeth extending from the end and a new xhair

Demo wasn't too bad, but I don't think I'd spend any cash on it unless it dipped below $15

Last edited:

DarkEmperor

Buried By The Dead
Mar 22, 2002
Visit site
I liked it. It is much more "Painkiller 2" than Bulletstorm was that's for sure. True PC FOV, lots of shit exploding and bosses look interesting nevertheless

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
Looked more like a great visual tour than anything else. Gameplay and monsters don't stand out for me too (still easily better than DNF haha)
Bring me another bulletstorm-like game or the next Serious Sam

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
Well tried the demo last night and I liked it, but I may wait for a sale.

Gameplay - Everything that I expected. I liked using that energy weapon and the alt fire attack that creates a large explosion was a joy to use.

Interface - I agree the main menu is pretty snazzy, but really I don't want to have to wait for the robotic arm to pick up my load game screen. In game menu is simple, but gets the job done

Graphics - Not bad for what was presented, but being the demo I am sure their are much more impressive environments in the game. I think I might have been bottlenecked because my performance stayed the same regardless of resolution and graphic settings. I ran the benchmark and had a minimum fps of 10 :eek: Looked at one with a similar system, except he had a triple core and his minimum was 31. I should stop beating around the bush and just get a quad.

Overall I agree that you need to love the old school shooter in order to appreciate this title. I do but that is my opinion of course.

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
Was fun, although I wish sprinting did not make your gun go away. I liked having to run over dead robits to get more ammo.

The comic strips definitely need to be a bit darker to fit the game environment...maybe if they were more like Max Payne, a bit more noire and darker.

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
Yeah that main menu is annoying as FUCK. It takes 4 seconds (by my count, idk I am not a clock) to switch between menus. What a waste of time.

I will agree that the demo did lack a moment of "badassery". The switch time between NRG and CRN was annoying too. Overall, I felt it was fun.

HedgeMaster

May 3, 2009
Thought the demo was pretty terrible.

There are no good bits from Painkiller in there, like the fast movement and fun weapons, only hordes of boring robots. The level design was simple flat corridors, cluttered with annoying crap. Weapon switching is slow as fuck, and they were unsatisfying to use.

They spent too long making super sharp textures and shitty particle effects and not on the actual game behind it.

Seconds. They say demo is short, yet I quit it.
There was hardly a place to "play", it was like moving forwards and backwards. Weapons shoot without aiming and do no damage to opponents... yet their ammo regenerate. Feels like a cosy room in asylum, not an entertainment for serious gamer.

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
I liked the visual style - streets and cityscape. Reminded me UT somewhat, but that was about it. Visuals were nice and shooting was decent, but it missed something to keep my attention after finishing the demo. I'm waiting for reviews.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
Seconds. They say demo is short, yet I quit it.
There was hardly a place to "play", it was like moving forwards and backwards. Weapons shoot without aiming and do no damage to opponents... yet their ammo regenerate. Feels like a cosy room in asylum, not an entertainment for serious gamer.

What the fuck did you even say?