Sufficent computer for unreal 3

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

recycledsoul

Aug 11, 2011
Hello,
I liked UT 1 alot, and now i want to build a computer for playing ut2004 and UT 3. Can you please recommend a good computer (specs) for getting good frame rates on relatively high settings? i want to make maps also.
what i am thinking is:
2.6 - 3.6 ghz processor
512- 1gb gddr video card
2+gb ddr ram
motherboard
small hard drive (80-200gb)
i would like to keep it around $200 if possible. i have seen some options on craigslist of used computers that look similar to this.
if anyone knows another site to buy computers, i would be intrested
thanks
im grateful for any suggestions
thanks

oldkawman

Master of Your Disaster
try these, my minimum recommended specs for playing UT3 online;
minimum CPU Intel core i5-2500 or AMD Phenom II X4 975 Black
minimum ram 4Gb DDR3 1600
minimum video card is GTX560 or HD6870
minimum mouse, MX518 and set it up correctly

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
That's a pretty high minimum video card there. You could easily run UT3 just fine on these specs:

Dual core Intel Core 2 Duo/AMD Athlon x2 (not the old ones, the ones based on the Phenom cores)
4gb RAM (this is the biggest help here)
Any GTX line nvidia card over 50 (260, 460, 560) or Radeon HD 47xx or higher or 57xx or higher

You should be able to find parts for the above mentioned for around $200-$300.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
The biggest thing, as with all Unreal Engine games, is the CPU and RAM.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
The biggest thing, as with all Unreal Engine games, is the CPU and RAM.
Not with UT3. I had a pretty nice CPU with a lot of RAM on my old laptop (before it was taken away from me) but it had an intel built-in graphics card and just because of that, performance was majorly bottlenecked. I had to run it with the absolute worst graphics to get a smooth frame rate.

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
try these, my minimum recommended specs for playing UT3 online;
minimum CPU Intel core i5-2500 or AMD Phenom II X4 975 Black
minimum ram 4Gb DDR3 1600
minimum video card is GTX560 or HD6870
minimum mouse, MX518 and set it up correctly

You only need the better hardware to play online multiplayer.

ROFL, don't give advice if you don't know what you're talking about. That just makes you look like an idiot. :lol:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Not with UT3. I had a pretty nice CPU with a lot of RAM on my old laptop (before it was taken away from me) but it had an intel built-in graphics card and just because of that, performance was majorly bottlenecked. I had to run it with the absolute worst graphics to get a smooth frame rate.
That's because Intel GMA is the worst POS card in existence.

I said "the most important thing" not "the only important thing". Of course you're going to need at least an nvidia 8800* card to play the game decently, but it will play like crap on an Athlon x2 4200+ with 2gb RAM and an 8800GTS 320mb. I know because I had one. Once I moved to a q6600 with 2gb of RAM it ran way better, and when I went to 4gb of RAM it runs buttery smooth. Of course, now I have a Radeon HD5770 and it runs like silk.

oldkawman

Master of Your Disaster
If you want to play well online against high rated and highly skilled players in a competitive match, you need hardware that is faster than you, the player. Using hardware that is slower than you the player, places you at a disadvantage. When the hardware is faster, you do not have that holding you back.

Now if your slow to begin with, all the hardware in the world will not help you. But at least it will not leave you at a disadvantage.

Everyone is of course free to play online and test things out. If you upgrade your hardware, you may find your ratio improving as well as your movement ability and speed.