Xbox 360 Motherboard Types (And Why You Should Care)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
Another one of my 'useless' articles.

We all know about the RRoD by now but wouldn't it be great if you could predict which Xbox would suffer this horrible fate? You can, by looking at some key attributes of your 360.

Let's go over the types first.

(Copied straight from Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360_hardware)

"The initial motherboard version was known as "Xenon" and used a 203 W power supply. The "Zephyr" revision was largely the same aside from the addition of an HDMI port. "Falcon" incorporated a 65 nm CPU, new 80 nm GPU, and came packaged with a 175 W power supply. "Jasper" (released late August or early September 2008[21][22]) used both a 65 nm CPU and GPU, as well as 256 MB of flash memory on-board (this was to help run a then-recent Dashboard update. Without this internal memory, a hard drive or memory card was required). The power supply was also reduced to 150W in the "Jasper" revision. The power connector on the back of the system incorporated a "keying" system that will prevent plugging a lower-rated power supply into an older system.[23] Some stores used to exclusively carry units with the Jasper motherboard. A new motherboard version called "Vejle" has also been released into public in the form of the slim Xbox 360 S with a 45 nm integrated CPU, GPU, and eDRAM (i.e. all in the same chip package).[24]"

The RRoD started to seriously stop with the Falcon and up and the new Vejle makes it pretty much non-existent now but the Vejle's are only mounted on the new Slim black models. So, if you want to get a good, cheap 360. The Falcon and the Jasper motherboards are the way to go with Jasper being better as it has some internal memory on it.

So, how can you tell which 360 has which motherboard? The simplest and best way is to simply look at it's needed power supply. You can also go by manufacturing dates. Any manufacturing date on or after 8/24/2007 is a pretty safe bet as it most likely has the falcon motherboard or above.

You can also see quickly by the power connection socket. Here's a great diagram:

Xbox360_Model_Guide.jpg

And that's about it. Just remember to keep your Xbox cool at all times even if you do have the falcon motherboard or up just in case.

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
You can also fix the RRoD on any generation of 360 by performing the x-clamp fix. As long as you're not afraid of voiding a warranty or opening an xbawks.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
This article is moot since the next xbox will be out in a year or so anyway. And with that a new wave of RRoD's will occur. Enjoy your brickboxes.

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway
Because every single person out there instantly throws out their old one to buy the latest new thing. Consumerism, ho!

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
You can also fix the RRoD on any generation of 360 by performing the x-clamp fix. As long as you're not afraid of voiding a warranty or opening an xbawks.

I've read about a lot of homemade fixes for the RRoD but I've also heard of pretty much all of them not working in the end.

Naw, it's best to just avoid the issue altogether if you can.

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
I've read about a lot of homemade fixes for the RRoD but I've also heard of pretty much all of them not working in the end.

Naw, it's best to just avoid the issue altogether if you can.
I've done it to three xbawkes. None of them have RRoD'd on me yet. Hell, the fans don't even speed up anymore because they stay that much cooler.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
I've done it to three xbawkes. None of them have RRoD'd on me yet. Hell, the fans don't even speed up anymore because they stay that much cooler.
Hm, exactly how hard is it to do?

haarg

PC blowticious
Apr 24, 2002
Over there
Another one of my 'useless' articles.
They wouldn't be so useless if you could write or pick an audience.
a bunch of shit
If someone has an old Xbox there's really no point trying to predict if it will fail. Anything pre-Falcon is already out of warranty so the only real choice is to wait to see if it will fail. Anyone getting an Xbox now is going to get a modern one without the heat problems.

You then go on to discourage people from fixing the issues themselves, which is the only possible time they might care about which motherboard they have.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
There are still plenty of older models, with better prices, being sold new.

I guess just telling someone to fork out the extra 50-100 dollars for a new Slim model would have sufficed, but it's not my thread.

:con: How on earth are there any pre-2008 models being sold new? Yeah, there are non-S version xboxes being sold, but those are of the Jasper variety, so you're as good as gold, really. There is no real worry of overheating.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
They wouldn't be so useless if you could write or pick an audience.If someone has an old Xbox there's really no point trying to predict if it will fail. Anything pre-Falcon is already out of warranty so the only real choice is to wait to see if it will fail. Anyone getting an Xbox now is going to get a modern one without the heat problems.

You then go on to discourage people from fixing the issues themselves, which is the only possible time they might care about which motherboard they have.
This is more for people who want to buy an Xbox but don't want to spend the extra money for the S models. And I don't know about where you live but in my town, Gamestop only sells S models now with a grab bag of other non-S model Xbox's. You want to know what you're buying.

And if you knew that you had an Xbox with a faulty motherboard before hand, you could sell it before it fails on you.

inferyes

Spaced In
Aug 16, 2009
I used to fix xboxs for extra cash back in the day. Problem was that the way I did it made my house stink so I eventually decided it wasn't worth it. :p