One Year Later There's No UT3 Client For Linux

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

HEDRumple

Jan 20, 2010
A more important topic would be "Three Years Later There's Still No Way To Get Rid Of Gamespy."
:lol:
There will never be linux support or any other kind of support for this game period.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Wine 1.3.20 now officially solved the mouse input problem! Now we only need better graphics drivers and we won't need Windows any more.

Speaking of which, I wonder if UnrealEd works there now.

WHIPperSNAPper

Mar 22, 2003
Visit site
And it's pretty darrn certain epic will never ever try a linux port again. So, that's the end of that thread and any potential future one. We lost and don't even know who to blame.

Why would they want to waste time making a Linux version when all they seem to really care about is consoles and getting into bed with the likes of Gamespy? I won't be at all surprised if they abandon the UT franchise completely and never release a UT4.

Last edited:

Severin

Feb 8, 2008
No, shelving != canning.

-v: They stated that they were going to hold off making another UT title for a few years. Guess how many years have passed since they said that?

I wouldn't hold your breath on that one. I can see at best the name returning at some point but not the game.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
We'll see. It's probably likely to assume that if Epic were to make a new UT game that got as much time and attention as any of the Gears of War games, was integrated with Steam (or, alternatively, had super amazing custom multiplayer stuff), and was highly affordable a la UT2004, there could yet be a successful UT game today.

I know for me, one annoyance with UT3 is the horrid Gamespy integration (not that good Gamespy integrations are anything more than horrid, but this was notably bad). This was particularly aggravated by the fact that, not 18 months earlier, Epic had been on this very forum asking what kinds of community features people would like in UT2007 (so named at the time). I wouldn't be surprised to find that not a single one of them was ever implemented, in fact 50% of what UT always prided itself on was non functional (acquiring custom content through the game) and it took almost a year to get it mostly working.

The UT3 Linux client not existing is just one more notch in an already crowded belt of things that UT3 ended up falling short on, and, while most of the major issues were resolved in the game over a year later, you can't stop a ship with a bunch of holes sinking by building a slightly nicer looking boat on top of it with a bunch of holes in it.

Severin

Feb 8, 2008
@Sir_Brizz : Pretty much agree with your post. Unfortunately there is no will to do as you described in the first paragraph. Epic is focused on consoles for the foreseeable future. (though BS hopefully has proved to them that going console is not a sure fire cash cow and burning bridges with their PC fans is not such a great idea)

@GreatEmerald
Unreal Vertua Tennis Tournament 4 :p

More seriously they said they are shelving the franchise (unreal not just UT ?)
As UT has been for its last few incarnations a showcase for their new tech/engines the next one (missing the next gen of consoles) is what 6-7 years away ?

Last edited:

d3tox

Face down in a pool of his own vomit.
Apr 8, 2008
I think this would make a great lolcats thread.

Attachments

• i-can-has-cheezburger.jpg
    i-can-has-cheezburger.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 9
  • funny-pictures-monorail-cat1.jpg
    funny-pictures-monorail-cat1.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 11