question about using HDTV as computer monitor

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
I just recently hooked up my television using a DVI to HDMI cable to my computer and had a resolution question if answerable. In source games(namely TF2, Portal, HL2), it lists my native rez as being 1280*720, yet my tv is 1080p? Why is that exactly? Is this saying that my 1080p signal is upscaled from 720p? I have ran games at 1080p and they certainly don't look upscaled, as a matter of fact the difference is quite noticeable.

Last edited:

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
What does it have your desktop set to?

If it matches the tv's native res, then you should see the resolution options in the games as well.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
What does it have your desktop set to?

If it matches the tv's native res, then you should see the resolution options in the games as well.

Well yeah the resolution options are there, but it lists 720p as native.

For instance if you bring up the listing of rez's it will look like this

1280*720(native)
1920*1080

I can choose 1920*1080 and it looks quite a bit better than 720(which it should), I am just curious as to why the game thinks 720p is native when my tv is fullhd 1080p?

MeStinkBAD

Lurking where you least suspect...
Dec 26, 2000
Tucson, Arizona
1080i has a frequently of 30Hz that's why... and yeah your TV probably is 1280x720p. Unless it's over 55-60" in size it's probably 720p. When displaying the desktop does the text look crystal clear in 1920x1080p? Does it look as clear as it does at 720p? Or is it slightly blurry? If there is any blurriness your TV is downscaling.

What model is this TV? I will tell you from experience that you often find better looking TVs with a native resolution of 720p.

Last edited:

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
1080i has a frequently of 30Hz that's why... and yeah your TV probably is 1280x720p. Unless it's over 55-60" in size it's probably 720p. When displaying the desktop does the text look crystal clear in 1920x1080p? Does it look as clear as it does at 720p? Or is it slightly blurry? If there is any blurriness your TV is downscaling.

What model is this TV? I will tell you from experience that you often find better looking TVs with a native resolution of 720p.

Interesting theory and I won't rule that out as a possibility. It is an RCA LCD 40 inch 1080p FullHD yada yada whatever.

When running in 1080p, the desktop isn't blurry at all(though really freaking small) so I usually keep it at 720p to see things a bit better.

When running games, 1080p looks miles better than 720p. Text and menus are alot sharper, especially in CoD4 and Borderlands. The little compass thing in cod4 looks a bit jaggy at 720p. I will post a pic of my Nvidia control panel rez listings when I get off work to give you an idea on what it shows.

MeStinkBAD

Lurking where you least suspect...
Dec 26, 2000
Tucson, Arizona
Interesting theory and I won't rule that out as a possibility. It is an RCA LCD 40 inch 1080p FullHD yada yada whatever.

When running in 1080p, the desktop isn't blurry at all(though really freaking small) so I usually keep it at 720p to see things a bit better.

When running games, 1080p looks miles better than 720p. Text and menus are alot sharper, especially in CoD4 and Borderlands. The little compass thing in cod4 looks a bit jaggy at 720p. I will post a pic of my Nvidia control panel rez listings when I get off work to give you an idea on what it shows.

Your TV has a native resolution of 720. But a recommended of resolution 1080. This allows the TV to multi sample the image down... this is exactly what you'd want for both television and gaming. It also explains why the desktop is so small you leave it at 720.

There is no reason why the TV would report it's native resolution incorrectly. The software is assuming it's hooked up to a monitor, not a TV. That's why it shows it's true native resolution not it's recommended resolution.

To be honest I think this is all in your head. I mean you play a PS3. I assume you've set it too use 1920x1080. And i does, for just 3 of the games that appear in your public trophy list. Wipeout HD, and God of War I and II. The rest all run at 720p. Your TV must display what it's running at any particular time right by pressing a specific button on a remote? Try using that..

Last edited: