Call of Duty: Black Ops

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Call of Duty: Black Ops Thread

Unlike Infinity Ward's Mordern Warfail 2, Treyach's Black Ops will have dedicated servers and quite possibly modding tools and especially, a dev console. Also BOT AI for training grounds before taking a trip in Multiplayer action.

Source: Joystiq's

Producers Dan Bunting and David Vanderhaar took the stage at the LA Coliseum to talk three pillars for the new CoD multiplayer game: "Compete, customize and create." Competition was the first element -- beyond the standard Call of Duty multiplayer elements, Treyarch has added a whole new mode called Combat Training, which brings AI opponents to the mix. Yes, bots have arrived in Call of Duty.

OLDER MULTIPLAYER TEASER
[M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_fsM6LBi54[/M]

WAGER MATCH TRAILER
[M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kg_8mPoloBo[/M]

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
COMMUNITY/PERSONAL WORRIES

WEAPON BALANCE

Infinity Ward has always been better than Treyach for creating a fairly decent balance in the multiplayer. A shinning example of this would be this video

[M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yXKw9E-2DA[/M]

Before we all agree the game isn't done yet, taking a look back at Treyach's W@W, the MP40 would have pretty much the same coding that weapon in the video has (knowing Treyach and their passion for WW2 weapons, Thompson again I presume). A SMG that kills in a mere 2-3 shots max, very decent hip accuracy and whatnot. You know when you see that video a lot of people will run with these until they fix it. If they do.

It's just something to keep in mind.

SERVER ADMINS

Server admins have the right to kick whoever they want to. They pay or run their own server(s) and have their own rules. With Modern Warfare 2, I personally am to a point where I can barely handle a game without being called a hacker. Yet there's at least 2 players who are better than me posting on the forums here.

My point is, I have played both MW1 and MW2 on the PC and it simply does not compare. Players would evaluate your kills before accusing you of cheating. You'll find yourself accused of cheating in MW2 for killing someone who's sitting in the corner waiting for you to UAV spot him and shot trough the wall his ass is up against. And even less, for actually using a headset and be attentive.

Modern Warfail 2 created it's own type of ego-player where if someone's nemesis is doing better than that person, well, he's clearly hacking. Bullet penetration is a feature in the game and people get called a hacker for using it. The list goes on and on. They can't be blamed though, the amount of actual wallers (hackers using see-trough mods that reveals the position of every enemy players) in MW2 is absurd and completely blamable on those idiots at IW who thought VAC and P2P was the deal for the game.

Imagine if most of those players migrate to BO1, and have their own servers. Anyone who's merely suspicious (I know I apparently am) will get banned from a server because of some self-confident admin thought that person was a hacker and/or he'll go the "Hey I pay for this ****, I don't want someone to have THAT much of a decent score on MY server" way and then immediately proceed on perma-ban that said person.

Fair enough, I expect to see a lot of admins ban skilled players. Hopefully most of the future BO server admins are competent.

Last edited:

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
Having dedi's back is a big improvement, but I can see the badmins migrating to this game in a hurry. A month after launch you will see stupid rule setups like

No noob tube
No knifing
No running
No jumping
No shooting

Yeah that is going to get tired fast. As craptastic as MW2's multiplayer(implementation at least) was, at least you could play without fear of getting kicked for using a grenade.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Also I just want to point out that I got accused of cheating last night as usual on MW2 by someone who was actually using a blatant wall. That person kept denying the fact that he was one (so was the whole server) and he would only kill me using the wall's name ability. Basically, running around only tiring to hunt me down so the whole server would agree I am the only one cheating.

Yes. I have seen in it all now.

That tomahawk in the WagerMatch is going to make a lot of people ragequit

It sure as hell will. You get penalized for losing. Losing is frustrating in Call of Duty at heart, now imagine with a penalty bonus.
It's a very bad move for that, however the game modes looks refreshing.

Last edited:

Kyllian

if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;
Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
rofl. Accused of cheating by a cheater
Your hax are better than his hax! :lol:
It sure as hell will. You get penalized for losing. losing is frustrating in Call of duty at heart, imagine with a penalty.
It's a very bad move for that, however the game modes looks fine.
Assuming everyone in a wager match gets to use it, it's not even going to be a penalty for losing
It's going to be whomever is in 1st/2nd using it on everyone else to keep their position secure
I figure what Trey was thinking with it is some kind of "upset victory" thing where those on the bottom rungs could suddenly turn the game around

If everyone does get it, the guy in 1st place doesn't even have to be a good shot, just good at throwing that tomahawk

Last edited:

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Thrown weapons sure are a good shot in my book. ;)
[Hold right Click] [(prone/crouch)] [Left click] sure is easier in that case.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Reposting because Jacks missed it.

Answer to the question below, hopefully no one miss it that time:
[m]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrurGjHbPU8[/m]

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
looks pretty.

also looks like it's going to be so heavily scripted (again) that you can basically play through it once and forget it. hopefully it's at least a little longer than MW2. the campaigns have been getting easier and shorter ever since CoD 2.

KEEP YOUR EYES ON THE DIRT, I DON'T WANNA GET SHOT IN THE BALLS

Defeat

GET EM WITH THE BACKSMACK WOOOOO
Apr 2, 2005
Illinois
www.google.com
Treyarch's SP were never as good compared to IWs. I'm mainly interested in the MP. I plan on getting this game after seeing the latest two vids.

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
Meh. I feel like they're running out of ideas. Most of this stuff is basically mods. I mean, that last one, "The Gun Game", has been a mod since COD1 if I'm not mistaken. I guess it's cool that it'll be available for everyone to play though.
Reposting because Jacks missed it.
Answer to the question below, hopefully no one miss it that time:
[jungle gameplay]
Also pretty meh. I like how they kept auto-targeting (an aimbot really) available for console single player :lol:
Treyarch's SP were never as good compared to IWs. I'm mainly interested in the MP. I plan on getting this game after seeing the latest two vids.
Sort of agree. I enjoyed WaW SP about as much as I did for MW2 SP. Treyarch makes good use of hardass metal for combat music. :D Infinity Ward just kept making games more and more ridiculous and questionable with parts like the airport.

Mar 6, 2004
Having dedi's back is a big improvement, but I can see the badmins migrating to this game in a hurry. A month after launch you will see stupid rule setups like

No noob tube
No knifing
No running
No jumping
No shooting

Yeah that is going to get tired fast. As craptastic as MW2's multiplayer(implementation at least) was, at least you could play without fear of getting kicked for using a grenade.

LMAO! how is no noob tubing a BAD rule? only bad players use those stuff....like Cod4 Noobtube, marty, last stand. Atleast if you use an RPG you can kill yourself in the process. I jump all the time, but it is mostly corners and stuff as i mostly play search and destroy.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
I loved that one Punkbuster script that auto-kicked out whoever had a kill with either martyrdom or 20mm.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
Meh. I feel like they're running out of ideas. Most of this stuff is basically mods. I mean, that last one, "The Gun Game", has been a mod since COD1 if I'm not mistaken. I guess it's cool that it'll be available for everyone to play though.

It's been a mod since Quake.

Either way, they've got it retardedly the wrong way around. You're supposed to start with the *best* weapons and work your way down to the worst (so the last kill would be with the pistol / knife / assorted melee weapon). The idea behind it is that the further ahead you are versus your opponents, the harder the challenge gets - and easier it is for them to catch up. In their version, the best player is rewarded by getting better weapons, which will probably only see the margins getting increasingly wider.