UE3 - UDK Import models into the UDK!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

larafan25

Oct 11, 2008
Hiiiiiiii...:)

So I have a few questions about getting 3D models into the UDK....

1. Does it matter what program you use to create the models?

2. I have seen the specific file types that will import into my content browser, non of these type are available in the program I am using (Metasequoia).

3. Is there a way to create my models in my prefered program (Metasequoia) and save them as a file type, then convert the type of file so it will be accepted by the UDK?

Basic questions, if someone can answer them and help I'd be so happy.:D\o/:B:clap::crazydance:

larafan25

Oct 11, 2008
look for an .ase export plugin for your 3D package. If there is one you will be fine.

What is a 3D package?

Do you mean a plugin for the program I am using?

The program I am using doesn't save as or export as any of the file types UDK accepts, which is definitely a problem, so I am not sure how to overcome it.

If you did give me the answer I apologize, I couldn't understand it.

Edit: Ahhhh no it doesn't save as that.:(

Last edited:

larafan25

Oct 11, 2008
Sorry for double posting I needed some organization here.

I have figured out an action plan....

I have found a common file type between Metasequoia and Blender, if I can save my model as this file type then open it in Blender, I could export it as a file type that UDK accepts...

NVM no I have not....

Last edited:

larafan25

Oct 11, 2008
Great so....I searched, and I found an export plugin for Metaseqouia that exports to .ase (UDK purposes).

Now I just need to understand how this thing works...there is a readme...that is either in Japanese or no language at all, a dll file which...well...does nothing, and some samples....Time to go figure this out and hopefully get models into the UDK.:)

.....Yaaaa....I'm not sure how this thing works.....

Last edited:

Bi()ha2arD

Toxic!
Jun 29, 2009
Germany
phobos.qml.net
Most likely you have to put the .dll somewhere in your Metaseqouia install directory, where plugins belong. Try googling something like Metaseqouia plugin installation. Maybe that helps.

larafan25

Oct 11, 2008
Most likely you have to put the .dll somewhere in your Metaseqouia install directory, where plugins belong. Try googling something like Metaseqouia plugin installation. Maybe that helps.

Well....another brick wall.

It turns out I can't use the plug in because I am using a freeware version of Metasequoia.

So....my next plan would be to import my models made in metasequoia to Blender and from there export them as .ase.

This requires requires a plugin for Blender I guess.:/

larafan25

Oct 11, 2008
^AWESOME!

I will try this, hopefully everything goes well, I don't see how it can't and soon I will have meshes in UDK.:)

Thanks so much.:)

Edit: Hmmmm I'm lost at opening the script. I've just downloaded the ASE script for Blender but I am not sure how to work it, Man this is confusing. O.O

Last edited: