Official BeyondUnreal Photography Thread

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

das_ben

Concerned.
Feb 11, 2000
Teutonia
[SCREENSHOT]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4098/4895190145_ca958b7756_o.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

[SCREENSHOT]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4073/4899432504_8acdd4610d_o.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

[SCREENSHOT]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4100/4895769100_d8873bb912_o.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

[SCREENSHOT]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4138/4899432526_c38b34f49d_o.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

First and third shot from the flooded Spree river, second and fourth from the previously flooded Neiße, which marks the border between Germany and Poland.

OO7MIKE

Mr. Sexy
May 2, 2000
Nalicity, NC
I'd give you the RAW file in case you wanted some more data to work with, but I'm not sure where to upload it.

The raw file would probably help out a lot. The photos was underexposed and there where more than a few different colored light sources which is causing the blue/purple color cast on his face. IMO it isn't worth keeping it in color because it doesn't look natural or cool at all. Crotale's attempt is pretty good but still underexposed quite a bit and as you can see the colors get all strange looking.

This is a tough photo to do. I thought I would chime in a different approach to the same photo. I processed your JPG through ACR 6.0. I added grain to the shot because i like it in B&W photos. By all means this is just one possible processing technique.

julianat1600isojpg_1.jpg

Last edited:

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
The raw file would probably help out a lot. The photos was underexposed and there where more than a few different colored light sources which is causing the blue/purple color cast on his face. IMO it isn't worth keeping it in color because it doesn't look natural or cool at all. Crotale's attempt is pretty good but still underexposed quite a bit and as you can see the colors get all strange looking.

This is a tough photo to do. I thought I would chime in a different approach to the same photo. I processed your JPG through ACR 6.0. I added grain to the shot because i like it in B&W photos. By all means this is just one possible processing technique.

julianat1600isojpg_1.jpg

That is simply great.

You know, I actually started on a B&W version myself when I was working on it earlier but ran out of time. As for the color version, I wanted to blow it out a lot more, but was unsure how bright RJ would want to go.

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
Woa, that looks fantastic Mike! BW conversion is black magic :D

If you don't mind me asking, what exactly is the process? Do you just convert to convert to greyscale, turn up the contrast and add a little noise? Or is there more to it?

OO7MIKE

Mr. Sexy
May 2, 2000
Nalicity, NC
The RAW conversion went a lot better! Lots more detail in the eyes and hair. A neat little trick if your worried about noise and getting too many hotspots is to use the brightness slider in ACR instead of the exposure. You will have to compensate with the contrast slider in order to keep the image from getting washed out.

I use two different methods of doing a BW conversion in RAW. You can simply push the saturation slider down to -100 for a smooth looking conversion or you can go into the HSL/Grayscale tab and click "convert to grayscale" for an edgier look. Feel free to move the color sliders around for some really strange looking conversions. Things really look weird if your model has freckles and you start to mess with the Red, Orange and Yellow sliders. Try it!

I put the tone curve on "strong contrast" to give it a little extra pop. I also added a yellow color tint in the shadows for a warmer feel. Noise was added once imported into PS. I like my own noise actions than the ones in ACR. Lastly I added a Post Crop Vignette. Most people go for the normal lens vignette but I like the extra control I get from the post crop vignette in ACR.

It looks like you may be editing in ACR 4.6 so I dunno if you be able to use an xmp file from ACR 6.0. Here is the xmp anyways:

http://michaelbrinkerhoff.com/BU/julian.xmp

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
How do I update my ACR? I'm using CS5.

edit: huh, it says Camera Raw 6.0 at the top of my window.

I do like how that looks, though I like what you did with the first conversion better. The white is much stronger. It looks really cold, or something. Either way, BW processing certainly is interesting. Maybe I should look a little more into it when I have photos that don't quite work in colour :)

Last edited:

pine

Official Photography Thread Appreciator
Apr 29, 2001
IRL
Visit site
I like my latest version the most. It's easier on the eyes and less noisy. Your version is a little too bright I think and has an odd feeling to it, like really dry and cold. Moist photos are good :p

FWIW I agree.

< photography/art n00b though

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
Meh, I like the first shot the best, to hell with "underexposed."

Does that imply the room is actually brighter than the photo makes it appear? I think the photo looked pretty accurate, and all the attempted changes just made it look worse, apart from Rambo's final edit.

F it.

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
My version of Rambo's shot.

attachment.php

I didn't know how to feel about his eye being so dark. I didn't like making it too light as you loose too much detail in his face.:hmm:

Attachments

• julian.jpg
    julian.jpg
    410.1 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
I don't know BBA. If you're going to make it BW, you might aswell go all the way like Mike did. I think your version just looks like a generic "I suck at photography, so here's a photo of me in BW" photo. And you see those EVERYWHERE on sites like Facebook, and it's stupid as hell. Mike's BW process is a lot more than that, and that's what I like about it :)

Last edited:

M.A.D.X.W

Aug 24, 2008
Here's my version.
I pushed up the contrast and really enhanced the blue tones.
It turned out really great I think. The exposure is perfect. And the subtle effects really add to it.
Julian_extracool.jpg

It only took like 3 hours as well.

theabyss

No One Here Gets Out Alive
Dec 3, 2005
East Coast
Here's my version.
I pushed up the contrast and really enhanced the blue tones.
It turned out really great I think. The exposure is perfect. And the subtle effects really add to it.
It only took like 3 hours as well.

The first time M.A.D.X.W actually made me :lol:

Hey! This guy has become the new Igoy!

Hm...I wonder what would happen if you combine both into one single....ahhhhhh....
....Holy Goddamn Batman its Jimi Hendrix!

hendrixisaliveandwell.jpg

Last edited: