Official BeyondUnreal Photography Thread

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

OO7MIKE

Mr. Sexy
May 2, 2000
Nalicity, NC
Yeah, but you gotta remember I'm not pro, so it might be worth it to save a couple hundred if I can. :eek:

The 7d looks and feels exactly like the xxD series cameras, so operating them shouldn't be a problem. What makes it so special is the way it works and how quickly it works. Auto focus is dramatically better. Never have to worry about it. It works and it works well.

If having low noise at high ISO settings is what you are after, the 7d will do it much better. No banding and the dynamic range is better than the 50d.

Yes there is a bump from 15 - 18 megapixels but at the pixel level you will find that the 7d is much sharper per pixel than the 50d. Back in the day I bought a 40d instead of the 50d because it even with a 5mp advantage i couldn't much of a difference. This is due to a strong AA filter over the sensor.

If i where just a hobbyist looking to get a good camera, I would go for the Rebel t2i. It has the same sensor as the 7d, many of the same features but with a smaller buffer, slower autofocus, and its priced under $700. Use the extra $$ for lenses.

To make things more complicated... rumor has it that the 60d will be announced with in 1-2 weeks. It will likely be the same as the Rebel and the 7d in many ways but will find some kind of healthy way of staying in between the two feature wise.

OO7MIKE

Mr. Sexy
May 2, 2000
Nalicity, NC
Would you believe that I don't actually have a Macro lens? I used a friends macro lens at a wedding to get some ring shots recently. Rather difficult to use if not on a tripod. The shots turned out really well but I wasn't happy with the bokeh. Specifically the effect it had on things that reflected the sun. Turned out rather ugly for my tastes.

What Macro lens are you using Bi()ha2arD?

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
I went out recently to Desert Shores in Vegas to do some RC sailing. This is one of my better shots.

[screenshot]http://www.acliffhanger.com/images/neckandneck.jpg[/screenshot]

Also, I got a single shot of a bee doing his thing.

[screenshot]http://www.acliffhanger.com/images/beezness.jpg[/screenshot]

Last edited:

Mastame

Dec 27, 2004
The Netherlands
I need your help for a bit, guys.

My GF's been wanting a polaroid ( = instant) camera for quite a while now. Next month's her birthday and I was planning on buying her one.
There's truckloads of authentic polaroid camera's to be found on this Dutch eBay equivalent website and they're not even that expensive. Thing is, I have no idea what I'm looking for. Could anyone help me out a bit on certain specs I should pay attention to?

I don't exactly know what my GF's looking for in such a camera, all I know is that she really wants one. She does enjoy making macro's with her digicam though. :hmm:

Last edited by a moderator:

WaitForTheRain

Feb 26, 2008
UK
I need your help for a bit, guys.

My GF's been wanting a polaroid ( = instant) camera for quite a while now. Next month's her birthday and I was planning on buying her one.
There's truckloads of authentic polaroid camera's to be found on this Dutch eBay equivalent website and they're not even that expensive. Thing is, I have no idea what I'm looking for. Could anyone help me out a bit on certain specs I should pay attention to?

I don't exactly know what my GF's looking for in such a camera, all I know is that she really wants one. She does enjoy making macro's with her digicam though. :hmm:

I'm pretty sure that modern Polaroid cameras don't really have much difference in quality, but owning one myself my advice is to stay away - unless you don't mind paying a hell of a lot for film. Not sure where you live, but in GBP it's about £14 for a pack of 10 film - Not a cheap hobby.

I will admit that Polaroids do have a nice feel to them, but I guess it's up to you/your GF to decide whether it's justifiable considering the price of film.

Mastame

Dec 27, 2004
The Netherlands
What do you mean by modern? I'm not looking for something like this:
t400_2ecc620a5e68f76f19fd575e9bebc68a.jpg

but more something along the lines of this:
a9e68957945bb359_polaroid-camera1.jpg

I know the film's proper expensive, but she's been dying to get a polaroid cam, and even if she doesn't end up using it an awful lot (though I'm sure she will), it'll be a pretty awesome gift. ;)

I've managed to find a way to get film for SX-70 cameras, 600 series or for Image/1200/Spectra cameras. Do you happen to know a bit about the differences between those series?

WaitForTheRain

Feb 26, 2008
UK
The second one you posted is more or less what I meant by modern (although most of them are a little more rounded and little less clunky and a some a bit more compact) I haven't actually seen one like the first one there.

I own one of these ones:
polaroid-p-camera.951298.jpg

And that's more or less what I meant by modern because they haven't changed much in about 10 years to my knowledge.

Edit: Just had a look and it turns out that the first one you posted is the result of Polaroid trying to bring back instant film. Not sure what this means for film prices as it uses 300 film while many slightly older ones used 600 IIRC.

Last edited:

WaitForTheRain

Feb 26, 2008
UK
I don't post much stuff, but here a few macro shots of some feather boas I took with a 30-40 year old macro lens - both pretty much unedited.

4895117871_8938292cee_z.jpg

^Bottom left - yes my sensor needs a clean!

4895131445_14b4e0a4db_z.jpg

Mastame

Dec 27, 2004
The Netherlands
The second one you posted is more or less what I meant by modern (although most of them are a little more rounded and little less clunky and a some a bit more compact) I haven't actually seen one like the first one there.

I own one of these ones:
polaroid-p-camera.951298.jpg

And that's more or less what I meant by modern because they haven't changed much in about 10 years to my knowledge.

Edit: Just had a look and it turns out that the first one you posted is the result of Polaroid trying to bring back instant film. Not sure what this means for film prices as it uses 300 film while many slightly older ones used 600 IIRC.
Yeap, the first one is a present-day polaroid camera.
But I'm not looking for one of those. More like the second one I posted or the one you have. A more old-school kinda camera, if you know what I mean. What series is yours?

Going with an old SX-70 or a 600 camera I can't go wrong, it seems. A lot of the cameras for sale seem to be 600 series.

/edit: those boa shots are quite amazing IMO. Great feel to 'm.

Last edited by a moderator: