need dedicated linux server help

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

lucifur

68.232.183.18:7777 Redeemer/Nali Server
Nov 19, 2009
Nebraska
I need some body to help me fix up my private server, I have had some help from the tech guys but they are not prepared to give as much as I need.

I need somebody that's willing to go step by step with every thing, I have done some things so I am not at the complete beginning, but "I know nothing".

The reason at first i got it was because I wanted to make maps and suddenly it became our server "we have four players", I have made a few simple maps.

Shane

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
You'll need to start browsing here:

http://www.unrealadmin.org/

If you want you server to be visible in the server browser then you'll need a server cd key - you can get one from here:

http://www.unrealadmin.org/server_cdkey

These two pages are worth reading (most of the 2k3 stuff is applicable):

http://wiki.unrealadmin.org/FAQ:UT2004/Linux
http://wiki.unrealadmin.org/FAQ:UT2003/Linux

http://wiki.unrealadmin.org/FAQ:UT2003

Invoking the game:

http://wiki.unrealadmin.org/Server_Setup_(UT2004)

Command line options:

http://wiki.unrealadmin.org/Commandline_Parameters_(UT2004)

(substitute ucc-bin for ucc)

lucifur

Nov 19, 2009
Nebraska
Thanks, this will help, I have been putting skins and models on the server, I found the instructions and the bot manager, so the server will push the skins to the players but the new skins won't show up in there player list which kinda defeats the purpose of pushing them from the server, if they want to play that skin they have to install it on there system, I know the skin must be on there computer in some fashion as they can see it, is there a way to enable it to go in there player list?

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
so the server will push the skins to the players but the new skins won't show up in there player list which kinda defeats the purpose of pushing them from the server, if they want to play that skin they have to install it on there system, I know the skin must be on there computer in some fashion as they can see it, is there a way to enable it to go in there player list?

I confess that I've never bothered trying to push skins from the server but if I've understood what you are trying to do then the issue is that the skins are in the games cache. Whilst they are in the cache they are available for anything that references them (e.g. another player using that skin) but they are not visible to the main menu system (that, I think, is your problem).

The only way out that I can suggest is to use a cache extractor. There are a number of these available (google is your friend).

Here are two:
http://www.coco.mynetcologne.de/ut2k4ce/
http://planetunreal.gamespy.com/View.php?view=UT2003Files.Detail&id=91

What this means is that after a player has connected to your server, he or she will have to run the cache extractor and then restart the game. With a bit of luck, the pushed skins/models should now be visible.

lucifur

Nov 19, 2009
Nebraska
Thanks, My map list is getting kinda large, If I use the webadmin to separate maps they eventually come back after maps are played, Is there a way to make for example a drop down in the map vote that only shows DM-1-on-1name maps and so on?

"By the way I am a terrible searcher, I had been looking for a backup UT2004 map compressor for a long time, I get err some times for no reason that I can see and was wondering if another one would work, I have searched the wiki for to find about the map vote thing but no luck with my specific questions."

(Reminder, I have a lot more questions, also if you want to play with us I will send you the IP and password.)

Thanks for the support, Shane

lucifur

Nov 19, 2009
Nebraska
the guys just tried it and the player mods arn't in vote, I was reading one of the help files and it said something about editing the xplayer file but there was no details? If i have the player files loaded they can see my new mod or skin but they cant choose it in there settings.
Thanks, Shane

lucifur

Nov 19, 2009
Nebraska
we have been trying but no luck, after installing the catch folder the new skins are not in the list, I have figured out what is missing, it is the ".upl" file, for some reason it doesn't need it to recognize the skins if some one is using one on there system.

lucifur

Nov 19, 2009
Nebraska
Yep, thanks total mind bog but I am reading through it and it looks like the game make will do the trick.

still have some other stuff but this will take some time to perfect, can you help me with the particulars?

If not that's ok just wondering it looks like the instructions are there, but I have found that coming from the out side that the instructions of things often leave out things that they think every body knows and of coarse I am the one guy that doesn't know that particular thing.

I was reading and it does need to be set properly as far as players a server will except and my server is rented from clanservers so I asked them to install the main thing as there is settings they are interested in, how ever I assume there will be aplenty stuff to do after that.

Also you never said if you want to play we only have four players and could use another?

Other than that Thanks very much for the point in the right direction it is helping a lot, Shane

lucifur

Nov 19, 2009
Nebraska
well its on the server, it is i hope a good addition to it, just the defualt mutaters are in the list which is what it said it would be.

I thought that species statistics was a default mutater, any way it isn't there now and so far I have not found it any were to download either, I did find the instructions for adding mutaters but since I cant find a package for this one I can't figure out how to get it back, a figure it is still there but some how disabled?

thanks, Shane

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
I thought that species statistics was a default mutater, any way it isn't there now and so far I have not found it any were to download either, I did find the instructions for adding mutaters but since I cant find a package for this one I can't figure out how to get it back, a figure it is still there but some how disabled?

AFAIK, Species Statistics is part of the default install. Certainly is there in webmin on a trial server that I ran up (admittedly, on a Windows XP box).

Assuming that you have not deleted any game relevant files, then the only thing that I can think of is that you have somehow broken UT2004's ini file.

My suggestion would be to extract the ini file from the original tar or zip that you used to install the server and then diff that file with the current configuration file and use that information to figure out what it is that you need to put the mutator back on.

lucifur

Nov 19, 2009
Nebraska
What does this mean?

GameType::ImportText: Illegal or missing key name in: (GameName="DeathBall",AllowVote=True,Hide=False,Clan=True,RequiredPlayers=1,

lucifur

Nov 19, 2009
Nebraska
Well I fell like I have figured lots of stuff out, but I still can't seem to get were I want to go yet.

So far I have ut2vote installed and have two custom game types running, "jailbreak and deathball" how ever I have it all messed up, the only way I could get deathball to work in the map vote was to just extract all the files directly into the main directory, I have pulled and reinserted the system files numerous times now, trying different combination's and still no luck, it just wont run (I don't understand what exactly needs to be in the config to let it find it's folder) unless it is in the main directory." I have many times tried putting "path=" in the config with other commands."

----------------------------------------
So deathball keeps giving this problem when it boots it can't load utk4menus.utx. I read in this forum that all you need to do insert this code:

ucc-bin packageflags 2K4Menus.utx 2K4Menus1.utx +ServerSideOnly +ClientOptional
ucc-bin packageflags UT2004Thumbnails.utx UT2004Thumbnails1.utx +ServerSideOnly +ClientOptional

Thats nice and all but I am using a rented server if that has anything to do with it? But were do I put this code? I have inserted it numerous times in the console but nothing changes.

Deathball still runs, but I figure this is causing problems somewhere.(If it's ran from it's folder, this file problem causes a version mismatch / disconnect problem.

--------------------------------

Now I have been trying to get ChaosUT to run for days now, and I tried the same sloppy tactic and just extracted it all into the main directory, but it did not work this time "I read on an epic forum a long time ago that unreal sees every thing the same any way and the file extensions are more for to communicate with windows rather than an intricate part of the functionality of the engine.

Well the darn thing now has several "default.ini" files in it and when I pick a ChaosUT game type and map it restarts, and the server looses it's admin settings, (temporarily until a restart is compleated) I figure it is arbitrarily using one of the default.ini files to boot with rather than the linux config file.

it then simply switches back to the last working game type and map.

I have tryed to fallow these instructions for ChaosUT found here:

forums.beyondunreal.com/archive/index.php/t-144252.html

forums.beyondunreal.com/archive/index.php/t-144252.html

the important part is this:

- study the default.ini in Chaosut/system
- add all the +path=... to your paths in your ut2004.ini
- add all chaosut-specific sections from the default.ini to your ut2004.ini
- do not add guicontroller or editor-things
- copy the chaosut-folder to your ut2004-folder

I have tried it in many combination's to the point I had to reinstall the server, for one thing what is "add all chaosut-specific sections from the default.ini to your ut2004.ini"?

They all look important to me? Do the pluses need to stay? When the pluses are there it seems to ignore the command, and when i take them out the server either crashes or simply doesn't work. Also some have a minus (-) in front of them? Whats that all about any way?

Shane

Last edited:

lucifur

Nov 19, 2009
Nebraska
I got it to the point it will change game types but it cant find its maps duel shows up on ther default map no matter what I do.

Shane

Last edited:

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
I got it to the point it will change game types but it cant find its maps duel shows up on ther default map no matter what I do.

Have you set the paths properly in UT2004.ini?

The section like below:

Code:
[Core.System]
PurgeCacheDays=30
SavePath=../Save 
CachePath=../Cache
CacheExt=.uxx     
CacheRecordPath=../System/*.ucl
MusicPath=../Music
SpeechPath=../Speech
Paths=../System/*.u
Paths=../Maps/*.ut2
Paths=../Textures/*.utx
Paths=../Sounds/*.uax
Paths=../Music/*.umx
Paths=../StaticMeshes/*.usx
Paths=../Animations/*.ukx
Paths=../Saves/*.uvx
will have to have equivalent paths for each mod directory e.g. assuming the main game is installed in ~/UT2004 and Chaos UT2 is installed in ~/UT2004/ChaosUT2/

Paths=../ChaosUT2/Maps/*.ut2

and so on for each of the mod's subdirectories.

UT2Vote should not have anything other than ?Mutator=UT2Vote59.UT2Vote on the command line.

ucc-bin packageflags 2K4Menus.utx 2K4Menus1.utx +ServerSideOnly +ClientOptional
ucc-bin packageflags UT2004Thumbnails.utx UT2004Thumbnails1.utx +ServerSideOnly +ClientOptional
Those should be done from the command line (e.g. bash) and probably should be something like

Code:
cd ~/System
./ucc-bin .....

That said, as far as I can see, packageflags is missing from the Linux dedicated server.