#ut3pugs on Youtube HD

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

i_hax

member since Jan07... didn't survive
Jan 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Nice idea. By the way, I think more descriptive video names won't hurt, e.g. add mapname or something.

Good suggestion, thanks.

I'll be uploading more next week and possibly this weekend, generally every Tuesday when I abuse my colleges 20+mb/sec upload. If anyone has good demo's send me the file on IRC or Xfire and I can record/encode/upload. I want nothing but the highest quality I can fit into Youtube's 2GB limit...

Also, Numb: come play more the better

Lethargy

Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra
Feb 24, 2006
The upload cap at my college is 0.2mb/s... but really it never gets higher than even 16kb/s. :(

Numb51

Feb 3, 2008
Numb51! Where the hell you been man? :) I remember you wiped the floor with me a couple times during the UT3 demo but then I never saw you again.

Also I could definitely go for some UT3 pew pew over winter break since I'm bringing my desktop back home with me. Fair warning though I haven't played in months so I'm going to suck hardcore.

I haven't played to get better 6 months after the game was released. I'd get owned too hard, and the little ego I have left will be gone completely.

I'll probably come play though. I'll get de`pain to play with me!

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
I haven't played to get better 6 months after the game was released. I'd get owned too hard, and the little ego I have left will be gone completely.

I'll probably come play though. I'll get de`pain to play with me!
We live in the same state and you never visited me when I was in charge of the shows at Six Flags. I'm angry at you................

Forever. :crysmile:

Numb51

Feb 3, 2008
... You were in charge of the shows at six flags? You know I can basically walk in the woods for 10 minutes and be in the safari throwing rocks at the lions right?

I hope you didn't organize the show in the batman stadium where the people dressed up as glow worms. That crap was horrible, and I never went to six flags again since. haha

Quaglax

May the funk be with you...
Apr 25, 2006
ATL
Good stuff there! Its **** like that which got me into playing UT2004 competatively.

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
... You were in charge of the shows at six flags? You know I can basically walk in the woods for 10 minutes and be in the safari throwing rocks at the lions right?

I hope you didn't organize the show in the batman stadium where the people dressed up as glow worms. That crap was horrible, and I never went to six flags again since. haha
No, I had nothing to do with the batman show, I did lighting and audio stuff for the tiger show and a few others, not the choreography or outfits. :p

i_hax

Jan 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
I only had time to get one duel up this week, I'm really busy with finals. Expect more in the next few weeks...

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
It would be nice to have at least one demo every week to keep the momentum going.

How do you upload a match to YouTube? A step by step guide would be helpful.

1. How do you record and play a demo in UT3? Yes, I know, I should not need to ask, but none made it it obvious in the game.

2. How do you capture a video segment from UT3? Software, resolution, frame rate, codec, system requirements, etc.

3. How do you convert a video for optimal YouTube HD quality? Software, resolution, framerate, codec, clip length, size, etc.

Of course, not anyone can upload a video to your channel, but naturally anyone could make their own account.

Bi()ha2arD

Toxic!
Jun 29, 2009
Germany
phobos.qml.net
Well, you can automatically get clientside demos with UTComp by ticking a checkbox. Then you have to use fraps or a similar program to record it. After that Re-encode in smaller format (and resolution) with Super2009 or whatever. I don't know what codecs and what settings are best for that tho.

i_hax

Jan 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
It would be nice to have at least one demo every week to keep the momentum going.

"demorec *filename*" in console at start of each game. I do it manually.

Capture video with FRAPS. I'm not sure what the system req would be for that, but I can FRAPS 1920x1200 @ 60fps and it occasionally stutters due to slow hard drive write speeds. See system spec's in sig

Covert using VirtualDub (or your choice of program) - I encode into XVid and make the files just below the 2GB youtube limit for best quality. Keep the 60fps recording.

Lastly - check your .ini's and (google it, i forget how) set it to record demo's at a higher framerate. The default is 30fps which leaves behind any fast movement, I demorec at 90fps.

I apologize for the lack of new videos. This is just a bad time of year... I've written 4 exams since Monday.

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
Managed to capture, compress and upload a little video myself. It was encoded with 4Mb/s, maybe I should use more, around 8 or maybe 16. I tried with 24Mb/s first, but that didn't work well with my video player so I ditched that file. Uploading to YouTube takes ages.

Finding the entry in the ini file ain't that hard, was kind of obvious once I scrolled over it.

Code:
UTEngine.ini
[Engine.DemoRecDriver]
NetServerMaxTickRate=90
LanServerMaxTickRate=90
Is that what you meant?

MeStinkBAD

Lurking where you least suspect...
Dec 26, 2000
Tucson, Arizona
If you are going to upload to youtube... know how to encode properly... Capture the demo @ 29.97 fps or 24 fps using fraps. NOT 60! This is meaningless since youtube re encodes everything @ 24fps. Once then encode the video using an h.264 codec. I use quicktime. Quality is exceptional and you don't need a monster bitrate. I usually encode the video @ 3500 kbps w/ 64 kbps for audio (using the AAC codec) for a video captured at 1280x720. Encoding w/ a huge bitrate again does nothing since youtube just re encodes it.

I don't have any UT3 videos up (I'll upload one later) but you can find my youtube page here.

i_hax

Jan 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Thanks, but no thanks. It's as simple as comparing even my own uploads - see the difference between one encoded at 30fps and one at 60fps.

60fps
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kU6E75TDpo

30fps
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GB4uAp1eqs0

Huge difference in the smoothness of the video, which is more important than quality in something so fast paced...

Your film and NTSC standard framerates are not useful for computer games where each frame is rendered crisp (without the blur from a camera shutter exposure). Regardless of how youtube re-encodes, there is a noticeable difference in smoothness.

MeStinkBAD

Lurking where you least suspect...
Dec 26, 2000
Tucson, Arizona
Thanks, but no thanks. It's as simple as comparing even my own uploads - see the difference between one encoded at 30fps and one at 60fps.

60fps
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kU6E75TDpo

30fps
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GB4uAp1eqs0

Huge difference in the smoothness of the video, which is more important than quality in something so fast paced...

Your film and NTSC standard framerates are not useful for computer games where each frame is rendered crisp (without the blur from a camera shutter exposure). Regardless of how youtube re-encodes, there is a noticeable difference in smoothness.

I just uploaded this...
29.97fps = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pdz9HR4oIt8

You know what... why don't you read up on the subject about frame rates. You won't listen to anyone says here. So I encourage you do to your own research.

Last edited: