How you got into the industry

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Hourences

Aug 29, 2000
Belgium/Holland/Sweden
www.Hourences.com
Sjosz you know too there are plenty of producers who are into designing things, especially in smaller studios. It is a problem.

Futhermore creativity is of course an absolute must, and talent in general is, but do not underestimate commitment and dedication. Like Rachel I know plenty of people who's dream it is to work in this industry but when you ask them what they are doing to actually achieve that "yeah like two years ago I wrote this game design document while sitting in a maths class but since then I have been playing WOW every night". Does that kid has talent? Perhaps, but whats the point if he does jack **** really? He is never going to succeed, not because of his talent for game development or lack thereof, but because of his commitment.

If you want something, work for it. And hey, if you are also just good at it that obviously helps a whole damn lot but it is useless without commitment.

While talent can get you there faster, and while talent is important to keep your job, it is commitment that will get you that job in the first place, over talent really.

Hyrage

Apr 9, 2008
My entire point is that creativity is an important part of being a designer. I'm not disputing that applying creativity has its different restrictions.
Yeah, and it is absolutely right, but I do point out that whatever your job position is, you aren't always the One that creates the Layout. In other terms, sometimes, only the Lead Level Designer would commit a Layout and the Level Designers will exclusively ''build'' it. Yes, it does involve ''some creativity'', but they have to deal will the default Layout Even if they say, ''oh adding that and a room there could be better and all that stuff to orient the player too''; it doesn't mean that the Lead will accept, because you just aren't him. (Ego problem anyone?)

I really don't see the point of stating that to have a producer influencing a Game Design is a bad thing. If the Producer is skilled, it will never be a problem because if his statement his wrong, then the Lead Designer should make the cut. For now, the worst Design Decisions I saw where coming from HQs.

cooloola

A good samaritan
Dec 31, 2005
Bumpity bump bump
So yeah after several years of mapping I've decided that it's time to see if I can actually land a job and start sending applications, since in the past year it's really been bugging me and I can't seem to focus on anything else and it's starting to **** up my academics. So I just need some pointers.
First of all does it help if you have a fancy portfolio because I know next to nothing about web design. Or is it just fine if I have a simple page with all my best maps with download links and screenies.
The thing I'm worried most about is the resume since I don't have any professional experience what are the other things they focus on? I've worked on some mods but nothing that really came to fruition and it was for UT99, does that help at all?
If there's anything else you want to mention that I have thought about, I appreciate any help greatly.

evilmrfrank

Banned
Apr 22, 2005
Florida, US
www.evilmrfrank.com
You don't need a fancy portfolio. A lot of people who know nothing about the gaming industry are always yelling at me to make my portfolio more fancy looking and amazing looking and its really quite annoying. Keep your portfolio simple and to the point. Only put your best work on there. Of course the page should still look decent and not like it was made back in 1995 but companies are there to see your work not your site :p It's kinda hard to write a Resume for companies when you don't have any professional experience but my advice is to put your strengths on there and also list some of the mods you have worked on. Companies like to see that you've done mod work because it shows them you can work in a team and even possibly make deadlines. Thats about all the help I can give on Resumes cause I suck at writing them :p Any other advice I have is to definitely go through all the other Resumes and portfolios of other pro level designers and get an idea of what portfolios and resumes look like :)

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
Yeah - your work speaks volumes more than your web design skills do (unless of course, you were applying for a web design position...). So long as it's all accessible and presented in a fashion that shows it at it's best, you should do fine in terms of portfolio.

Sjosz

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Dec 31, 2003
Edmonton, AB
www.dregsld.com
Applicable knowledge of design theory is relevant. If/when you land interviews/tests you will likely be asked questions that deal with problems and situations that require resolving to make something a fun experience. Understanding what is fun and how you can apply it is as important as having a decent amount of work to show.

As long as your website is easy and straightforward to navigate and prospect employers don't have to click several times to get to see your work, and you keep things neat, it should be fine. And make sure you don't come across as 'hai gais I can has make level plzkthx I want job nao k' (even on the website). Showing resolve and a degree of being serious about what you want helps. The stuff you've made that's the most recent in terms of technology should probably be around the top of the list of things to show, so make those things extra visible. Pretty sure nobody cares what levels people make in the Super Mario World editor these days.

cooloola

A good samaritan
Dec 31, 2005
Wow, you guys are awesome! Seriously you are, I've still got 2-3 maps that I definitely have to finish but I'll keep you posted.
Also over the past three years I've gotten pretty good with blender, does it help, or is it better if I train myself with more popular software like max or maya?
Again I love you all!

Mozi

Zer0 as a number
Apr 12, 2002
In the Borderlands..
www.mozidesign.com
If you're going in as an LD, knowing Max or Maya is definitely helpful (higher priority on Max), I would also learn Google SketchUp as well, a lot of companies are starting to use it for whiteboxing.

Google SketchUp:shake:

Had some bad experiences with that in the past making geometry then giving it to artists who did all the pretty work in max. A change in SketchUp meant a lot of re-exporting...

But not to say it's a tool you should not know. It's very easy to use. Just have a good pipeline for it.

cooloola

A good samaritan
Dec 31, 2005
If you're going in as an LD, knowing Max or Maya is definitely helpful (higher priority on Max), I would also learn Google SketchUp as well, a lot of companies are starting to use it for whiteboxing.
Ok, I got google sketchup, doesn't seem like a very sophisticated piece of software so it shouldn't take long to learn. I've already got basic knowledge of max but I'm gonna train a little bit more. Also I'm looking for fairly new games that support SP custom maps, any suggestions?
Thanks for the help.

Mozi

Zer0 as a number
Apr 12, 2002
In the Borderlands..
www.mozidesign.com
Ok, I got google sketchup, doesn't seem like a very sophisticated piece of software so it shouldn't take long to learn. I've already got basic knowledge of max but I'm gonna train a little bit more. Also I'm looking for fairly new games that support SP custom maps, any suggestions?
Thanks for the help.

Gears PC does, but word of wisdom. Have patience. That editor crashes a lot!

cooloola

A good samaritan
Dec 31, 2005
I have Gears so I'll reinstall and check the editor out, also I'll search for a cheap copy of BIA. And again you guys rock.

Cursed_Soul

Now known as Luos_83
Jan 13, 2001
dordrecht
www.vladderbeest.com
In case some of you still get email notifications:
What have you been up to nowadays?
Some of you I still follow on twitter, or through other social media.
(@luos_83 on twitter btw)

I've been mainly doing VFX-stuff for mainly (unsuccessful) indies, worked for 3drealms some time.
(At least I was able to make some VFX for Duke Nukem himself)
And now I kinda want to focus on at some point make an actual game.
I kinda had it with working on other people their dreams and want my own dreams to come to fruition.
I am still highly active in a variety of unreal communities as well.