WIP Rokiahi Weap: PASKAL Jupiter Rifle

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

XenoAisam

Paskal Foot Soldier
Jan 20, 2008
SouthEast Asia
xenoaisam.wordpress.com
Seem its already long time since my last thread on Kos-Mos, well here i'm posting thread about my WIP for UT2004, Custom Weapon For Rokiahi

Rokiahi aka Rocky:

and her custom weapon consist of shotgun and rifle/smg (only concept image for now):

and another concept drawn by Ruki:
szwacxrvzr.jpg

some of the people who've download my Naluri in this Skincity would know its include Bertha Sniper Rifle (custom weapon) in the pack... and now its Rocky turn! i would appreciate if u have another suggestion on the weapon looks

-Tj-

Nov 30, 2004
Awesome. Always nice to see new content for '04.

My only concerns about the concepts are that the forward grip on the gun probably won't mesh well with the way characters hold the gun in the game (palm up, against the length of the gun), and that the 2nd concept looks really difficult to hold. How would one hold it, anyway? :confused:

Other than that, let's see one of these made! :D

XenoAisam

Paskal Foot Soldier
Jan 20, 2008
SouthEast Asia
xenoaisam.wordpress.com
Awesome. Always nice to see new content for '04.

My only concerns about the concepts are that the forward grip on the gun probably won't mesh well with the way characters hold the gun in the game (palm up, against the length of the gun), and that the 2nd concept looks really difficult to hold. How would one hold it, anyway? :confused:

Other than that, let's see one of these made! :D

well those are maybe a worst design? ...well i need more idea though~ i just need your guys help on design

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
Well I was trying to avoid posting and coming off as an ahole but if no one else is giving any input I guess I will.

Imo you should just make weapons based on pre-existing concepts instead of using concepts like this. Why? Well because these concepts look like they were made with no thought put into how the actual mechanics of the gun work at all. For this reason they will just end up looking silly.

For example, in the first one, why is the magazine curved backwards? The whole reason mags are curved forwards in modern guns is because the way the cartridges are shaped. It's even more apparent in the second one, where are the magazines in the first place and where are the empty cartridges going to eject and how the hell are you even gonna hold the thing comfortably? It has no grip. :(

XenoAisam

Paskal Foot Soldier
Jan 20, 2008
SouthEast Asia
xenoaisam.wordpress.com
hmm maybe i should base of from oicw eh?
oicw1.jpe

but i would like have some change to it instead just copy from existing one... but unfortunately those exist one already in perfect design.. so i dunno how to reshape it~
unless concept the new one but still in same function

-Tj-

Nov 30, 2004
I agree with SleepyHe4d in that more thought should be put into the designs based no how guns work since these look like they are based more on realism. You don't have to entirely base what you have on existing designs, but there is reason to why guns are shaped the way they are. For example, the clip is curved forward because the bullets are arranged in them. While it's possible to have a clip that is curved backwards, it would mean the bullet itself is larger than the casing, and the barrel of the gun should reflect that by being bigger as well.

The first design reminds me of a modified AK or something. For a combination MG/Shotgun, it seems to be lacking the shotgun portion. (EDIT: I think I see the shotgun portion now) Adding a second barrel to it will help, and you could probably go with some kind of sawed-off shotgun look and position the barrel where a grenade launcher would go, as long as you leave some concession for shell loading or a clip of some sort. The grip looks workable, but uncomfortable (but not like UT weapons look any better in that department lol). However, as I mentioned about the way the characters hold the weapons, the forward grip should be of the horizontal variety, otherwise the vertical-style grip might protrude through their hands as they hold it.

The 2nd design reminds me of the P90 (my favorite SMG ^^). The P90 has a really unorthodox design in that the clip stores the bullets in a clip that runs along the gun's length, and are perpendicular to the gun. A mechanism twists the bullet into the correct position as they are loaded into the barrel for firing, otherwise the gun looks like some kind of fantasy weapon. The grips on it somewhat resemble the one on your second design, but where the trigger is positioned on it is really where your thumb should be were you to hold it like a P90. If you added a thumbhole behind the trigger, it could work, but like the first design it might look kind of strange when the characters hold them in UT.

I gotta be somewhere soon, but when I get back I'll try and draw up some examples. I think you could make what you have work, they just need some tweaking.

Last edited:

-Tj-

Nov 30, 2004
Ok, I went and did some mods of the guns you have.

For the first one, I added a shotgun to the bottom front of the weapon and messed with the magazine placements and stuff. It's probably not something that would win gun design awards (it looks somewhat difficult to manage; the clips are too close together, for one), but it's a more believable. Gun fanatics would probably point out everything that's wrong on it. haha

The second one, I just redid the grip and trigger areas, and moved the clips to the stock, but mostly kept the bullpup look to it. It's not the OICW, but it takes cues from it. However, as I mentioned in my earlier post, the positioning of the forward grip might make it look funny in UT.

You don't have to follow either of these or anything. I just wanted to drop in some suggestions on how you could make what you have work better.

haha... I already see a problem with my 2nd design... the ejected shotgun shells would hit the shooter's chest.

Attachments

• 20090705_xenoaisam_gun_mod2.jpg
    20090705_xenoaisam_gun_mod2.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 20090705_xenoaisam_gun_mod.jpg
    20090705_xenoaisam_gun_mod.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 14

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
haha... I already see a problem with my 2nd design... the ejected shotgun shells would hit the shooter's chest.

Not only that but there's no room for the shell to recoil if you want semi-auto action. Also it looks like your front hand wouldn't be in a very comfortable position.

Other than that, nice effin job. Something cool to add to the first one would be a foldable buttstock so you could use it better in cqc. It kind of reminds me of of a compact version of the Aliens' pulse rifle.

That brings up a point about making concepts. One trick is to take parts from different existing real life guns and put them together or change them in ways to make fictional weapons. That's pretty much what they did with the weapons in Aliens, and those turned out awesome even thought they used like WW2 weapons. :lol:

Also, to clear this up:
I agree with SleepyHe4d in that more thought should be put into the designs based no how guns work since these look like they are based more on realism.

I not only meant that for guns meant to be realistic, but any kind of fictional weapon has to have thought put into how it works when considering design. Even extreme scifi weapons like UT3, why do you think you can see all the inner workings of the guns and small stuff like that that makes them look like they can actually theoretically work?

There's even a video they released before the game came out where they explain exactly this.

-Tj-

Nov 30, 2004
I not only meant that for guns meant to be realistic, but any kind of fictional weapon has to have thought put into how it works when considering design. Even extreme scifi weapons like UT3, why do you think you can see all the inner workings of the guns and small stuff like that that makes them look like they can actually theoretically work?

There's even a video they released before the game came out where they explain exactly this.

I agree, weapons should be created on how they work, realistic or fantasy, even if they're powered by mini fusion reactors or ammo that's teleported in from some distant universe. :lol: I have some weapons of my own design that I'd like to make someday, and I put a lot of thought into them... which sometimes means I never finish them. lol

One thing I never really cared for about the UTX weapons was that they didn't look like they could exist. Surely they looked cool, but visually they don't seem like they'd work (with some exceptions, like the Enforcer and Avril). I never saw the vids, but no doubt there's some explanation on how the ammo systems work on things like the rocket launcher or flak cannon. It would be awesome to see those if you have a link to them. The way I imagine, unless they're teleported in, most of the guns have nowhere to store the ammo. And many of the guns look really uncomfortable lol. I could go on and on, but I digress. This is about XenoAisam's guns, not UT's. :)

Also it looks like your front hand wouldn't be in a very comfortable position.

I found the P90 to be quite comfortable, the unorthodox look of it being one of the reasons why it's my favorite SMG (I mean PDW :lol:). I based the grip almost entirely off the P90, save for a few rounded corners here and there. I was in a rush lol. (P90 in Stargate SG1)

Btw, what's that character in your avatar?

Testrun

May 29, 2008
What kind of rounds is the gun supposed to fire? Ammunition based or energy based?

If it's ammunition based, is it a semi-automatic, fully-automatic or something like a sniper rifle, where after one shot you have to reload?

If it's energy based, does it fire a laser or an exploding energy ball/glob?

You should ask these questions whenever you make weapons. For example, ammunition based weaponry tend to look more realistic with a touch of futuristic design(e.g. UTClassic's sniper rifle), while energy based weaponry look more futuristic(e.g. Quake 3 Railgun).

In the end though it's up to you.

Last edited:

XenoAisam

Paskal Foot Soldier
Jan 20, 2008
SouthEast Asia
xenoaisam.wordpress.com
sorry for late reply~ just entered university back!
yes! its ammunition base, does tend to be realistic a bit (but not :p)
well of course i'm targeting for near-futuristic theme, not such futuristic like unrealtourney.. its more like neotokyo style! :p

well yup, as explained, my first drawing is more like p90 submachinegun but i know its weird to see the big mag at the small barrel~ lol its not a final concept... i still like backward curve mag, looks a bit different... nothing wrong with it right?
and
the second pic is not my drawing! i dunno how to explain this

well i like ~TJ~ idea on sketchy... maybe i'll try change it a bit if allow to do so! :D or just take what have you done!

ps: my avatar is Naluri eh?

-Tj-

Nov 30, 2004
well yup, as explained, my first drawing is more like p90 submachinegun but i know its weird to see the big mag at the small barrel~ lol its not a final concept... i still like backward curve mag, looks a bit different... nothing wrong with it right?
and
the second pic is not my drawing! i dunno how to explain this

well i like ~TJ~ idea on sketchy... maybe i'll try change it a bit if allow to do so! :D or just take what have you done!

Well, there's nothing really wrong with using a clip with a reversed curve, just that, as mentioned, there's a reason to why they're shaped the way they are.

You may use my sketches for whatever purpose you like. I did base them on what you and your friend's drawings, after all. :)

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
The way I imagine, unless they're teleported in, most of the guns have nowhere to store the ammo.

I found the P90 to be quite comfortable, the unorthodox look of it being one of the reasons why it's my favorite SMG (I mean PDW :lol:). I based the grip almost entirely off the P90, save for a few rounded corners here and there. I was in a rush lol. (P90 in Stargate SG1)

Ah yeah, wasn't considering the ammo storage when talking about the guns, was just talking about how they unfold and stuff and you can see the firing mechanics.

About the P90, yeah it's actually my favorite weapon from the smg and assault rifle categories too. (I don't really like assault rifles except for maybe F2000, ak47 and OICW) I've never held one though and didn't realize your grip was from it, (doh) but yeah, I'm sure it works fine since it's actually on a real weapon.

ps: my avatar is Naluri eh?

He was talking about my avatar, but I don't think he wants to know. :lol: If he really wants to though I can tell. :p

-Tj-

Nov 30, 2004
He was talking about my avatar, but I don't think he wants to know. :lol: If he really wants to though I can tell. :p

Sorry about the mix-up, I should have been more specific. PM me if it's something weird. Even if I regret it later, I still want to know. :lol:

XenoAisam

Paskal Foot Soldier
Jan 20, 2008
SouthEast Asia
xenoaisam.wordpress.com
Sorry guys! i need to delay this weapon progress.. well i just getting paid to make one model! so money work come first nya~

well as to replace for a moment, i give u this image:

have a nice day!

ps: Naluri in Hl2 image is just to self promote lol!

-Tj-

Nov 30, 2004
Cute!

Can't help but think we should feel a little let down because it's not for UT, but regardless that looks great. :) Work first, pay bills. I had to delay some of my own personal projects for that reason.

Bummer I don't have HL2 installed anymore...

XenoAisam

Paskal Foot Soldier
Jan 20, 2008
SouthEast Asia
xenoaisam.wordpress.com
Hey XenoAisam, I found this today while doing my daily rounds on the internet: http://www.resistanceunion.com/wprofiles/img/marksman.jpg

Backwards clip! From Resistance 2. Someone made a real prop of the weapon, but the design looks a bit different from the 3D model. Might be a good bit of inspiration though. :)

woaaa!! good finding!! thanks!!
i will reconsider the design a bit~
if i've chance :p