E3 2009: Day 1 Wrap-Up

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
A decent amount of Unreal Engine news came up today at E3:

Probably the most interesting development today came with a trailer for Mass Effect 2, however, which revealed that players will, indeed, be playing Shepard again - and also that he can wind up very dead by the end of the game.

As planned, players can carry over their saved data from Mass Effect, with character choices and gameplay decisions impacting the events of the dark sequel.

The real surprise coming out of E3 is that it also won't be much of a spoiler to say that Commander Shepard dies in Mass Effect 2.

Liara eventually dropped Shepard off at the target building, at which point the party quickly captured a guard, leading Hudson to introduce the new "interrupt system"--a new way for players to physically and abruptly end a conversation.

During the guard's interrogation--"Tell me where the bomb assassin is!"--players will eventually see a flashing exclamation mark in the lower left corner marked with the left-trigger icon. Upon pressing it, Shepard simply pushed the guard out the window, leading one character to quip, "So when do we read him his rights?"

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
I think Red Steel 2 is not using UE. Wikipedia lists it as using the LyN engine. However, it is probably too early to tell. From the walkthrough video I do not think it is UE though.

DorDuke82

Mar 13, 2008
Saxony, Germany
Splinter Cell: Conviction is supposedly a Xbox 360 exclusive, although Shacknews still says it will also come out for PC.

Ubisoft themself confirmed in their Press-Conference that Splinter Cell Conviction will be released on Xbox360 and PC ;)

When M$ says "exclusive" they mean "console-exclusive" as they even said Alan Wake and Left4Dead2 would be Xbox360-exclusive (when infact both of these Games are too being released on PC - L4D2 even stating so in the Trailer shown after that "exclusive" announcement). M$ just tries to "pretend" the PC Gaming side doesnt exist - they treat it like the redheaded Stepchild, not even announcing one single PC Game from MS even in the face of a new Windows Release - wich according to MS will be the Best Gaming OS to Date - they just dont support it with First Party MS Games, because on the Xbox360 they have full control over what the User can do and what he cant do (for example germans cant buy DLC Packs for Games on the Index here) and can charge the users for every single thing, when PC Gamers would just show them the Finger and use some alternative free Solution to their crap.

Darkdrium

20% Cooler
Jun 6, 2008
Montreal
About Alan Wake on PC: Really? I went to Wikipedia's page and it listed only as Xbox360. I know it can be edited by anyone, but up until now I considered it as a pretty reliable source for that kind of information...
So is Alan Wake coming to PC (yay) or not (nay)?

DorDuke82

Mar 13, 2008
Saxony, Germany
About Alan Wake on PC: Really? I went to Wikipedia's page and it listed only as Xbox360. I know it can be edited by anyone, but up until now I considered it as a pretty reliable source for that kind of information...
So is Alan Wake coming to PC (yay) or not (nay)?

Whoever made that Wikipedia listing is a 360 Fanboy :D

From the official Alan Wake FAQ:

"What platforms will Alan Wake be available on? #

Alan Wake is currently confirmed for release on the Windows Vista for PC and the Xbox 360."

There was even a Tech-Demo at a Intel Press-Conference 1 year or so ago, where they showed off the Multithreading by letting a tornado go over the Island and the tornado was processed alone on one core.
That and the fact that Remedy made it Vista Only (well 7 will work too) because of technology decisions (stated in the FAQ) make me believe the best version to get will be the PC Version (better graphics, mouse and keyboard gameplay and hopefully Mod-Support just like Max Payne).

Kangus

Zombie on your pwn!
Jan 29, 2001
Illinois, USA
www.planetunreal.com