Which do you think is better: UT3 or UT2k4?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Which is better: UT3 or UT2004

• UT3 is better

Votes: 63 52.1%
  • UT2004 is better

Votes: 58 47.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
In response to that orange splash, the collector's edition came with a DVD of UnrealEd tutorials.

Exactly.....and original UT2004 didn't have these tutorials either, the CD version and pardon me, but what I have tried so far, it seems to me UT3ED is far more easier and optimised than any other UED before...

kafros

F1 manta tryouts
Jan 21, 2005
Under Articstronghold's bridge
I agree, but shock abuse was just as bad in vehicles gametypes, to the point where any vehicle could be effortlessly defeated by the shock. Its insane knockback on vehicles made it even harder for air vehicles to survive more than 15 seconds. Thankfully, UT3 fixed these issues.

lol wot? Shock is good against noob vehicle drivers. Try killing a strafing manta that spams at your legs. Good raptor drivers will soften up 2 node defenders in no time (and also crash the destroyed vehicle on them)

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
lol wot? Shock is good against noob vehicle drivers. Try killing a strafing manta that spams at your legs. Good raptor drivers will soften up 2 node defenders in no time (and also crash the destroyed vehicle on them)

2 defenders with good aim + shock rifle > raptor (ut2004-FullBleed was talking about UT2004 right?)

Last edited:

oldkawman

Master of Your Disaster
There was also a 3v3 WAR ladder. I do not think it was very popular, I did not play it. When it's 3v3, WAR or ONS, it's pretty much just a race. More so in WAR because of the orb. I like at least 5v5 for WAR and no more than 12v12 on most maps. There are many custom maps that can handle more than that, but not any stock ones, not really. Too many players just get in the way of good team work and frustrates many players if the teams are not balanced.

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
go to clanbase, and download some demos from ons 3v3 games. Raptor rushes primary on most maps killing both players there or softening them up enough for a kill on foot.

Then they must not be very good players. You can see the raptor flying in from across the map, and two players constantly shooting the raptor with shock beams will blow it away. It was the best defense in UT2004.

Thanatos45

Frag-tastic
Mar 19, 2004
Dutchieland
Depends... as far as infantry gameplay goes, I prefer UT3. More shooting instead of jumping around like a madman, and no more hitscan dominance (because I suck with hitscan). Vehicles are exactly the other way around though, UT3 vehicles feel and handle (and sometimes also look) like oversized, supercharged dinky toys. UT2004 vehcles feel and handle more like... well, real vehicles instead of toys.

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
Depends... as far as infantry gameplay goes, I prefer UT3. More shooting instead of jumping around like a madman, and no more hitscan dominance (because I suck with hitscan). Vehicles are exactly the other way around though, UT3 vehicles feel and handle (and sometimes also look) like oversized, supercharged dinky toys. UT2004 vehcles feel and handle more like... well, real vehicles instead of toys.
Ummm... what?

Did you try driving 2k4's Goliath around? It was like a frigging brick.

Jordan L

Jan 20, 2008
UT2K4 had great graphics for its time, it had a huge amount of content, a low amount of bugs, lots of players/clans, good built-in IRC client, and much more. I think UT2K4 by far was/is better than UT3. I also liked UT2K4's gameplay more, especially the hitscan. I'm interested to see how UT4 turns out, it will either be better or worse than UT3. It could go either way. The only thing that UT3 did better than UT2K4 was the more responsive vehicle controls.

Last edited:

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Actually, 2k4's graphics were never that great! Sure perhaps back with UT2k3 it was like "wow instanced meshes" we can use 3dsmax now to add detail to maps but the lighting system was always subpar even vs the original Unreal. It took em till UE3 to really get back with the volumetrics and additions like self shadowing, its all gone hardware side so its much better all round in that regard.

Looking forward, especially with comments my friends have made about arena styled games over the last few years. UT4 is probably not worth the paper its printed on unless it contains something more outside of that, to me Unreal 3 with coop is the way to go. If Epic can add a solid multiplayer experience to that without a 'botpack' then they would blow any of their previous titles out of the water, perhaps even GoW.

Theres alot of assumptions in that, I'll just wait a see what happen. As with previous UT's I'll be more then happy to keep playing UT3 for many years to come regardless of its mainstream popularity :cool: