Which do you think is better: UT3 or UT2k4?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Which is better: UT3 or UT2004

• UT3 is better

Votes: 63 52.1%
  • UT2004 is better

Votes: 58 47.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bersy

Apr 7, 2008
Sweden
I like the aesthetics of UT3 (not talking about the ****ty UI or HUD) but prefer the useability and overall fun level of UT2004. ONS was more fun than WAR. DM is more fun in UT3. I refuse to vote simply because I like different things about each, but neither were the successes they should have been. More people play UT2004 even today though so that alone makes it the better game. Simple.

sneh

-
Apr 11, 2008
www.grozmo.com
Straight out of the box, UT2004 is by far a better, more enjoyable and lasting game IMO. I often still play it offline

However, now that I have UT3 closer to the way I would have liked it from the start, I think UT3 is superior (only just getting there now though).
Also, because I'm a mapper, the superior engine / editor really helps put it over the line for me.

(.. so I voted UT2004 because it was better from the start)

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
I remember UT2k3 differently than it actually is. After playing UT2k4 a long time and then trying UT2k3 again make me think that a lot of things are missing that I take for granted in UT2k4. Looking upon UT3 I realize that we need another release of UT3 with all the goodies that it could and should have.

Choosing between UT3 and UT2k4 is an impossible decision. I don't even want to make it. There are more things one can do in UT2k4 but the way UT3 look, it's too good to turn down.

The expectations on any game in the Unreal Tournament series are huge because of it's previous versions and all the community effort put into them.

Why not release development kits prior to the release of the game so mappers, modders and modelers can contribute at the same time the game hits the market?

Also, placing this poll in the UT3 forum section can cause bias, you might as well start a thread like this in the UT2k4 section as well. UT3 deserves some handicap I guess. Another place for this could be in the off-topic section, even thou it might be off-topic to the off-topic section. Some amusement intended.

Last edited:

Ignotium

Que hora es?
Apr 3, 2005
Madrid
Why not release development kits prior to the release of the game so mappers, modders and modelers can contribute at the same time the game hits the market?

Do not agree there. You wouldnt be able to create proper content for a game that you dont know how fast is, how slow is, how much splash damage the rockets have for a corridor for example, or how far they can wall dodge for ramps and etc. So, all the content created prior the game release COULD be visually appropriate, but not gameplay appropriate

Bersy

Apr 7, 2008
Sweden
it is an interesting idea to somehow give the community some involvement in development of a UT title.. but in practice it would have to be very carefully managed otherwise it would turn out to be a disaster.

I do know one thing, and that is that UT needs something radical to revive it. With Quake Live coming I wonder if Epic is going to respond somehow.. if they don't then I will be convinced they have truly given up on the series (no matter how much they insist they haven't)

Severin

Feb 8, 2008
2k4 without much doubt.

UT3 has better graphics and I liked the faster movement but thats about it.
I don't play DM or CTF otherwise my view may be different though it would still be tarnished by the poor quality of the release.

Last edited:

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
Gameplay can change drastically and late in development as well as resources. Teaching the community to edit anything in the game in the beta stages could give the game a faster start. What if Epic started selling full version betas aimed at mapper, modelers and modders? Fully aware of last minute changes that could render some, most or even all work unplayable, wastly unproportional or just unestetical. Giving enthusiasts a head start. Making profit in the process. Released as is, mostly for editing purposes. Would anyone actually buy it? I know I might.

Oh, yes, if UT aka UT99 was an alternative, then I would be even more puzzled.

oldkawman

Master of Your Disaster
I voted UT3. After playing WARfare and then once in a while trying ONS again, it's so obvious. WAR is just so much faster, way more intense, and totally non stop. ONS seems just too slow in it's pace and the weapons are so weak compared to UT3.

I do miss all the great UT2K4 ONS maps though. Only recently have custom maps started being played online due to some sort of bug. Even so, there is no going back unless there was some sort of event where ther would be full servers without Torlan on the vote list.

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
The original UT is still the best, probably, but UT3 is a close second. It has that "feel" of UT, just not the polish. If this game (or the expansion, if they end up making one) gets the polish like 2k4 got over 2k3, I expect a great game.

As it stands, 2k4 was fun, for about two years, and then everyone began to realize that all you needed was good hitscan aim to win and the game degenerated into a laserfight that made it horribly unfun and dull to play. Which is probably why I stuck to ONS and vehicular gametypes - a couple guys with lightning guns are, for the most part, negated in that.

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
As it stands, 2k4 was fun, for about two years, and then everyone began to realize that all you needed was good hitscan aim to win and the game degenerated into a laserfight that made it horribly unfun and dull to play. Which is probably why I stuck to ONS and vehicular gametypes - a couple guys with lightning guns are, for the most part, negated in that.

In UT2004 I always found if someone was really good at DM and CTF they weren't that great in ONS, and the other way around.