OMFG Street Fight IV Thread

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
I picked up Street Fighter IV yesterday and went over to a friends house, ordered a pizza, and we played it for about 6 hours non-stop. I haven't really been into games for the last few years, but this game is so well done and polished.

Basically, I had one of those gaming nights that you will always refer back to as an epic moment in gaming. Oh yeah, I beat the game too. \o/

Slainchild

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2004
London, Ontario
www.slainchild.com
I've never really invested much time into fighting games before, 2D or 3D. I used to play Tekken on the Playstation back in the day, but nothing really since then. Street Fighter 4 Needs to be released on PC so I can "demo" it first. ;)

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
go play street fighter 2 and imagine its in 3d and you'll know how 4 is. I love it.

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway
Yeah, I'm looking forward to this one myself. I'm waiting for the PC version so it's a few months to go. June I think. Right now I'm playing Alpha 3 and 3rd strike a bit to keep me entertained.
Based on how the arcade is the 'original' which is practically a PC (and consists of a 7900GS, according to eurogamer), I have a lot of faith in a solid PC version. If it's of any indication, Devil May Cry 4 is a fantastic port which runs at a steady 60fps with all details maxed in 1680x1050, and works perfectly with my gamepad out of the box.

I'm a big fan of fighting games, and I particularily love SF for it's simplicity/depth and tongue-in-cheek characters. The theme of it all is so much more upbeat and easily digestable than, say, tekken or soul calibur.

I'm not a reviews kinda guy, let alone scores, but the reviews for it are through the roof. Between the 360 and PS3 it's gotten 22 100%'s according to metacritic. A common thread seems to be that they really nailed the whole 'accessible yet deep' thing.

Last edited:

Lruce Bee

Transcending to another level
May 3, 2001
Sherwood Forest
Button mashing at it's finest but I just don't get what all the fuss is about with everyone splooging all over this game.
Looked at the video of this at work the other day and I just thought it was OK - nothing amazing.
+ points though for presentation and retaining that retro 2D vibe - it does look really nice but it aint revolutionary.

Lruce

Last edited:

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
Button mashing at it's finest but I just don't get what all the fuss is about with everyone splooging all over this game.
Looked at the video of this at work the other day and I just thought it was OK - nothing amazing.
+ points though for presentation and retaining that retro 2D vibe - it does look really nice but it aint revolutionary.

Lruce

I agree it's not revolutionary, but it doesn't try to be. It's just fun and they nailed that.

shadow_dragon

is ironing his panties!
I might grab this if it's on a platform i own. Not played Street Fighter 2 since my old Snes. Should be fun.

Fighter games are one of those games that i HAVE to play on a console these days though i didn't get very far into the street fighter series as i ended up with platforms that it wasn't released on. :(

Mortal Kombat games though i don't think i ever missed one and though the last couple of entries to the MK series have been dodgy the most recent MKvsDC was actually really rather fun. Anyone who can fight as or against the Joker in that game without gigling like a child just shouldn't be allowed to play games at all ;)

Long live the fighter game. :)

Lruce Bee

Transcending to another level
May 3, 2001
Sherwood Forest
Yeah, definately got that old skool feel to it - get your mates around and just have a laugh - would excel in that department for sure.

Lruce

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin

Lruce

that's the point. recreating the glory of the infamous 2nd part of street fighter in a more modern look. I must say I was so glad selecting ryu for my first match and finding out that almost all moves were just like on the snes.

Also, SF4 isn't as indepth complex as other fighting games which is good since this makes it possible that people will play against you that aren't hardcore about the whole genre.

Banoffee

Armoured
Jan 20, 2008
UK
I'm just looking forward to the competition. With so much hype around it, SF should get a huge amount of fresh blood, and with BlazBlue and KOF XII on the horizon, maybe 2D fighters can stop being horribly niche. :p

SF4 does look gorgeous though. A perfection of the basics.

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway
Button mashing

angry_baby_head.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FJaT4-wnms
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U08xNVUx7RA

Last edited:

Trynant

Manic Brawler
Jan 31, 2002
Quiet Island
trynant.wordpress.com
SFIV is incredible, but Chun Li's legs in proportion to the rest of her body scare the crap out of me.

I wouldn't call the game button-mashing, if by that you mean randomly pressing buttons. In fact I would go as far to say that there's less random button spam than in other fighting games (Soul Calibur IV comes to mind, although I love that series to death). It's very accessible game play with tons of depth.

Playing with the 360 controller irks me somewhat, however. The trigger buttons are practically worthless for a fighting game. And hell no will I buy an arcade stick for $80 :mad:

What really pisses me off is that I left the game at a friends place and have to wait to play it :mad:

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway
My stance on Chun-Li's legs (and forearms, for that matter) is the same as with the female Juggernauts in ut2k4. She looks awesome, but not necessarily attractive.

They did tone her down a bit compared to how she looked at the initial reveal. That one was more bordering on just plain weird, but I was assuming it's just an art style that grows on you after a while.

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
You know, I was never really a big fighter fan back in the Snes days, though I did play a fair amount of MK but it was all just in good fun. Never played SF2 as much even though I had it, guess I loved the blood in MK as a kid and it just seemed funner to mess around in. :lol:

Anyways about SFIV, never planned to get it but it could happen. The fighter genre is dead to me but I've heard some stuff about SF4 that could make me like it. For instance it's supposedly more about skill and less about memorizing combos. That's the main reason I don't enjoy the genre, it seems like I just have to memorize random combos instead of just laying down some basic moves with awesome timing. I heard SF4 is more about the latter and you can easily beat someone that knows combos and moves if you have better skill and timing even with basic attacks. That would be cool and fun to me. :p

Actually I heard that SF doesn't even have scripted combos where you just press a random set of buttons and your char pulls of a chain of attacks, but instead it's just a combo counter that counts how many attacks and special attacks you pull off in a row. That sounds even more awesome. :D