OMFG Street Fight IV Thread

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway
Actually I heard that SF doesn't even have scripted combos

It varies between games, but the type of moves that hit multiple times are usually super attacks that require you to fill up a gauge or something, and each character only has one of them.

Each character only has 4-5 special moves otherwise. Everything else is contextual and nuances - Cammy does an upwards kick if you hit hard kick while your opponent is jumping, a long kick if you're standing at medium range, and a knee to the groin if you're standing at point blank. Another character might have a launch, or knockback, and whatever. It's something you can mash for decent effect, and after a while you just have a feel over when your character will do which and you start using them consciously.

That's why SF has always been so accessible. It takes about 5 minutes to memorize all of a character's specials. After that it's just learning how and when to use them.
It should also be mentioned that the specials are all really straightforward, and you have to look pretty hard to find any that aren't a half/quarter circle or "the dragon punch motion". Even the super/ultra moves are usually just variations of existing moves, ie. a double fireball or something.

Trynant

Manic Brawler
Jan 31, 2002
Quiet Island
trynant.wordpress.com
You know, I was never really a big fighter fan back in the Snes days, though I did play a fair amount of MK but it was all just in good fun. Never played SF2 as much even though I had it, guess I loved the blood in MK as a kid and it just seemed funner to mess around in. :lol:

Anyways about SFIV, never planned to get it but it could happen. The fighter genre is dead to me but I've heard some stuff about SF4 that could make me like it. For instance it's supposedly more about skill and less about memorizing combos. That's the main reason I don't enjoy the genre, it seems like I just have to memorize random combos instead of just laying down some basic moves with awesome timing. I heard SF4 is more about the latter and you can easily beat someone that knows combos and moves if you have better skill and timing even with basic attacks. That would be cool and fun to me. :p

Actually I heard that SF doesn't even have scripted combos where you just press a random set of buttons and your char pulls of a chain of attacks, but instead it's just a combo counter that counts how many attacks and special attacks you pull off in a row. That sounds even more awesome. :D

SFIV definitely has a simple move set. Even the special moves are very simple (not Smash Bros. but close). It's very much doing basic attacks.

I played some more today. My friend commented it's a game that seems like you can't really do anything at first, but if you learn the controls for half an hour the game really opens up to you. I'm amazed at how much strategy is in the game with so simple controls.

Also, Crimson Viper is frackin' awesome...except that all the female characters in the game seem to either do less damage or take more damage than the male characters :mad:

Exus Tecius

like diamonds in the sky
Sep 24, 2003
Visit site
i actually would like to play streetfighter against a few guys here arround hehe.:rolleyes:
you can take ryu or ken no matter for my beast blanka.

oosyxxx

teh3vilspa7ula
Jan 4, 2000
It's a beautiful and engaging game, although I do thumb-stumble over the XBOX 360 D-pad and joystick. Seems like a lot of others have this problem although some people have no problem at all.

B

Bee
Sep 6, 2000
Bussum, NL
www.zdclan.nl
Got it! :)

Are the standard joypads for the PS3 good to play the game? Or are the custom controllers required / recommended?

sfiv-ps3-gamepad-ken.jpg

I'm about to order the game, but I'm not sure if it's worth it to get 2 of those pads..

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
I think after I move I am going to buy an arcade fighting stick. Has anyone played it online yet. I have the PS3 version and was wondering how it plays over it.

Iron Archer

Holy ****ing King of Trolls
Mar 23, 2000
Obamaland
I think after I move I am going to buy an arcade fighting stick. Has anyone played it online yet. I have the PS3 version and was wondering how it plays over it.

I played the last few nights. Works fine. Had to disconnect from the internet at one point because I was trying to play through the arcade mode and kept getting challengers from online. I think since I'm on FIOS my connection quality shows and I keep getting selected by challengers.

Last edited:

XeroWolf

Unreal Ninja
Jan 21, 2006
Grenada
Button mashing at it's finest but I just don't get what all the fuss is about with everyone splooging all over this game.
Looked at the video of this at work the other day and I just thought it was OK - nothing amazing.
+ points though for presentation and retaining that retro 2D vibe - it does look really nice but it aint revolutionary.

Lruce

Dude it's effing Street Fighter!
The original, bestest fighting game evar!
Just hearing the name it self makes people froth at the mouth.
I say my good sir, you have not lived until you have at least played Street Fighter II. And if you have and still so not understand what all the fuss is all about then I'm sorry to say. But you my friend are not human.;)

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
lol @ 5:02
Or this at 1:00

This game look definitively awesome. The only picky concern I have about this game is the fat ugly character that resemble to some clownfail. I'll check it out when it's out for PC. Or rent it if my Xbox ever gets repaired soon.. (Still waiting for the delivery)

Oh and Elfuerte is on crack. :lol:

Last edited:

Iron Archer

Holy ****ing King of Trolls
Mar 23, 2000
Obamaland
Yeah, Rufus looks like an Insane Clown Posse fan or somethin'. Odd how he kinda floats around as if he's full of helium.

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway
Pretty sure that's deliberate for comedic effect. The producer once stated that he's loosely based on Yun and Yang from sf3, which were some of the fastest in the franchise.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Ok I just gave the game a good run now, by rent.

As no SF gamer veteran point of view, I found the game to be abused. I'm referring to takedown attacks or some character grabs. Especially moves like [Crouch] + [High kick] on any character. I have tried the game on many difficulty settings, and even on hard the enemies couldn't even breathe at it. I just spammed the **** out of them with these attacks to see what happened and was entirely disappointed.

Other than that the game was interesting to play, try the different characters and see what they do all different.

I tried the challenge mode to get familiarized with them, I got pass the basic moves, then once you get the combo challenges I just completely lost the beat. I just don't understand how fast combo-ing works, but to me it just looks as if you need a perfect timing right after the kick/punch. Otherwise your attacks comes too late and it doesn't count. It was a bit frustrating, even when doing the move correctly while the character did the punch/kick attack didn't work.

This game is really hard to get used to, it's not really a problem I suppose, but for non veterans it might be. Simple basic attacks are easy to pull, but some others are just not. Like the revenge moves, hell these are incredibly hard for me to pull when next to my opponent, if not impossible. Yet I've seen AI's do it like a grab is easy to execute.

Anyway this is no keeper for me, but watching veterans playing this game is quite a blast.

BTW: Seth and Zangief are big fags.

Seth: Big p***y boss
Zangief: Huge damage grab whore

Last edited: