Any new background loading screens out there?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Growler

Jul 26, 2004
I'm getting absolutely sick of seeing the same old ugly loading screens every time I load up a new match!

If there's not many of them, what folder are they stored in so I can change them myself (and how does one go about changing them, too?)

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
I'm getting absolutely sick of seeing the same old ugly loading screens every time I load up a new match!

If there's not many of them, what folder are they stored in so I can change them myself (and how does one go about changing them, too?)
Well, technically, the loading screens are Bink movie files, so in theory, you could change them by encoding some video to bink video... although I have no idea how you'd do that, or how happy the game would be with your changes.

Growler

Jul 26, 2004
Well, technically, the loading screens are Bink movie files, so in theory, you could change them by encoding some video to bink video... although I have no idea how you'd do that, or how happy the game would be with your changes.

You mean these loading screens aren't actually background images?!

[SCREENSHOT]http://videlais.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/loading.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

Boy, they sure know how to make things complicated to change :mad:

Unless you're referring to something else here?

ne_skaju

lost and found
Jan 21, 2008
Izvarino
I dont even see them; instead, black screen and PRECACHING. I dont know what caused it, but I'm happy with this.

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
UT2003/4 used textures for the loading screens. You had to import the images into the editor and DXT compress them to create a texture file. I only assume a similar method can be used for UT3. I'll check on it this weekend if I have time.

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
You mean these loading screens aren't actually background images?!

[screenshot]http://videlais.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/loading.jpg[/screenshot]

Boy, they sure know how to make things complicated to change :mad:

Unless you're referring to something else here?
Correct. UT3 Install Directory/UTGame/Movies, UT_loadmovie*.bik where * is 1-8.
I dont even see them; instead, black screen and PRECACHING. I dont know what caused it, but I'm happy with this.
You probably disabled or deleted all the movie files. :p

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway
I believe there is a free bink encoder. Can't be bothered checking though.

Anyone have any theories as to *why* they'd do it this way? Sounds horribly clunky. At least ut2k3's way of textures made a little sense.

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
Oh yeah, Epic did it that way so that they have that cute little rotating U Shield.

Edit:/Here is a link to download the Bink encoder from RADTools. I'm not sure if it provides all the options needed to make the Bink video files that can be used in UT3.

Last edited: