Midway Files For Chapter 11 Bankruptcy

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

dub

Feb 12, 2002
Seeing as EA have been cutting back hard recently too, I'd wager my bets on MS.
Who else is really left..? :/

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
If studios like Bit Blot, Introversion and other indie developers can do fine on Steam, certainly Epic can do the same. Time to strike out on your own again guys :)

They do not rely on Steam for sales. They simply also sell on steam.

True, but retail is becomming increasingly irrelevant and the major retailers know the digital distribution train has already left the station. It's starting to happen with music and movies. Once GPD gets their heads out of their asses and starts to include online distribution of titles the numbers are going to look a lot differently for PC games.

Music isn't like movies and it's not like games.
For music, albums and singles don't well because singles are very overpriced. albums don't sell well because they are overprices and contain a lot of unwanted crap.
Movies on DVDs still sell very well. Retail games also still sell very very well.

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
Seeing as EA have been cutting back hard recently too, I'd wager my bets on MS.
Who else is really left..? :/

Ugh.. that would probably make it a GFWL title then, i'm not really sure that even UT is worth installing that useless bloatware.

LG1X

Aug 16, 2008
I disagree with retail increasingly becoming irrelevant, and it never will be irrelevant. Also, I still prefer a hard copy of a pc game over a digital download. Another thing I would like to add is that there is no price advantage to digitally downloading games. I have bought a couple games from steam, but the only benefits I got from doing so was avoiding shipping time (since I order a lot of my games off of amazon) and the convenience of having my games patched automatically. If someone is a DRM whiner, then digitally downloading games is probably another factor that counts,but sometimes even digital downloads come with DRM.

If a store holds a pc game he or she wants, their better off making a quick trip to the store and purchasing the game then digitally downloading it. If anything, digital downloads cost more than retail games simply because they charge full price for the download without the nice case or instruction booklet that comes with a retail bought game. Some people consider the case a waste of space, in which a digital download would suit them better.

Steam is a good digital download provider. EA is not. Avoid downloading games from EA at all costs simply because they only give you One install per game download. If you digitally download a game from EA and uninstall it, you have to purchase it again unless you pay a small amount of money for a second install when initially purchasing the game for the first time.

Glad to see midway's going down the drain, where they seemed to love sending game franchises. I know it's people losing jobs, and that does suck but meh,.. they don't put food on my table so don't make my general opinion of a bad company a personal thing ok guys.

Here's hoping Epic will go with a Publisher who won't try to force the next UT out the door before it's done.

Slightly off topic but relevant, Who handled the Marketing for Left 4 Dead? 'Cause I swear every where I went I had that green hand in my face for a while there.

MuLuNGuS

Apr 14, 2005
why the fear of UT with DRM?

UT3 is already here without DRM and i don't think there will be a UT4 in the future, sad but true.(IMHO)

-=WolverinE=-

Apr 16, 2006
Seriously, click the link and read:

The filing does not affect its non-U.S. operations, which will continue "as normal."
That news only affects the US department so Midway is NOT dead. I am sure that a company like that won't go down easily. Despite the bad marketing decisions they made for UT3, I don't think that people should hate them. After all, Epic Games are the big players and if they wanted something done right, they had to do it themselves.

And no, hard copies are nowhere near dead.

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
Slightly off topic but relevant, Who handled the Marketing for Left 4 Dead? 'Cause I swear every where I went I had that green hand in my face for a while there.

I believe EA did. They hit Boston/Cambridge fairly hard much like they did with Spore.

There's also Atari... But I don't like them for what they did to Legend... Even though they're not too bad as publishers. Just they shouldn't stop developers' work...

Atari was Epic's publisher before Midway. I don't think they would go back to them.

Square-Enix is hot for Western developers right now and are trying to bring more Western IPs to Japan. Given Gears relative success in Japan it might be possible although I think that franchise is tied up with MS.

Last edited:

LG1X

Aug 16, 2008
L4D is another one of those horribly overrated game fads like COD4 and TF2.

{Ogre}Spin

Apr 24, 2002
Visit site
I wouldn't call TF2 a fad, frankly...it's still packing servers over a year after release and is a natural evolution of a game stretching back to '99, now if only other titles could achieve that (get where I'm going there?).

Does epic REALLY need a 6 game deal to continue working as a game developer these days? I'd be pretty certain they coin more on engine licensing than would be needed to fund the developement of several titles at once, and then seek a publisher per title. Hell, if I had my way I'd say screw shelf space altogether and go fully digital (both steam and through direct sale content delivery) but I know there is still resistance to that thinking.

I can honestly say I wouldn't expect to see epic go to ms for anything more than contractual obligations on gow3, seeing how the hoops you have to jump through for microsoft are pretty counter the way epic seem to prefer to have things (look at mods for x360, as an example of how ms and epic just will never see eye to eye), but I really think that with the clout they carry and the right titles they should be able to write their own ticket and not get suckered into promises that dictate their direction for anything more than the next game out the door.

LG1X

Aug 16, 2008
now if only other titles could achieve that

In all honesty, I can't believe the bloated critic scores TF2 received. TF2 is like a mega demo. I consider Battlefield 2142 to be superior to TF2 in every aspect and the player base isn't to lacking for it being released for over a year either.

2-3.jpg

{Ogre}Spin

Apr 24, 2002
Visit site
I guess therefore it is a matter of taste there, since TF2 has approximately 3 times the server and player base of BF2142 (source serverspy live reporting showing 2100 TF2 servers, compared to around 750 for BF2142).

I don't really see that either of the 2 could be considered the 'better' game, as they are for completely different markets, personally I can't stand the BF series for both the gameplay and lousy performance, whereas a fast paced shooter like TF2 is right up my street. Not saying your game sucks, just saying I don't like it.

TF2 has a solid community of packed servers night in night out, with more players joining daily, compared to UT3, which was released at much the same time, which currently has around 250 servers which are mostly empty.