Left 4 Dead

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
I've been having a idea for a new infected.

Think a 4 legged infected who's main purpose is to get a survivor out of a corner/closet/bathroom with a small area of Effect. Here's how he would work:

Mouse 1: Charge (Can't move while doing this)
Mouse 2: Suicide (Area of effect smoke)

The special can not attack, only charge, and he must be at a minimum range to attack a target, the charge would take around 1.5 second to "cast", and the suicide 2 seconds. The survivor who get directly hit by a charge is completely stunned and can not move/attack for 3 seconds, once the survivor hit, the infected will manually suicide resulting a small smoke area dealing important damage if you stay in. The smoke would last around 5-6 seconds and be distinctive from the smoker's smoke.

The infected would be invulnerable to melee, you have to shot him, his carapace would make anything non-shotgun more useful. And his charge cast could be canceled by a melee, pretty much the only thing melee would have on him.

==========

So far we have 2 infected who pin down Survivors, and one who's got a unique purpose, all these 3 infected can't really deal more than one infected in a corner/closet/small room simply spamming the melee key. I seriously consider a new infected like above would make gameplay even more interesting.

Think about it, the Boomer is very effective in a open hallway with zombies coming from everywhere, the new 4-legged infected would be almost useless in a place like this, unless he use a charge properly. While the boomer is nearly useless against survivors camping a decent spot. Vise-Versa.

In other words, the 4-legged infected + Boomer combo would be deadly if used the way it should be used.

Last edited:

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Staff about patch coming this week.

"The problem on the PC side was a few large bugs affected other systems that we were going to rewrite on the PC so we ended up waiting to fix a whole class of bugs instead of just individual bugs," said Faliszek to a Steam forum member, before confirming that "the patch should be out this week."

Last edited:

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
And no more hunter infinite respawn exploit in Versus.
Hopefully they unlock the "Versus" difficulty so we can set Versus to advanced difficulty. Expert is just overkill in versus. But normal is a joke. Might as well just sit down Act 1 of no mercy - apartments.

Last edited:

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
The door is a little lame, though I do it sometimes in singleplayer or in versus if the other team does it. That crescendo is such a great spot for the infected to do damage, that it really does change the map a great deal by skipping it.

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
Picking this game up this weekend off Steam. How competent is the AI in single-player?

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
It's O.K. for starters, but once you've played the co-op online with decent players/friends you know the way it's meant to be played. Permanently.

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
That's what I figured, although I'm going to need a new headset before I go online.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Headsets are not an issue. There's mostly always one guy who doesn't have a headset in the game. It doesn't really matter for one guy. You can still play online without being called a "faggot" because you don't use voice chat. See.

DeaJae

taking a month's break
May 7, 2001
England
www.littleportitservices.co.uk
And the majority who do have working headsets and mics are either non english speakers, under 18 years old (usaully under 14 too.. was playing zombie panic and had to vote kick someone off because they sounded 6), has their volume so low that you can't hear them anyway or failing all that has a dmaged mic so its all scratchy.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Using a headset is much better than just sit still, typing on the keyboard. Especially with your friends on expert. Voice chat is sort of important and required. For at least a few members of your team on a difficult setup.

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway
I haven't tried the game with a headset yet. My brother usually uses his. The game is straightforward enough where everyone knows what's going on and what they need to do. The only really necessity for them would be when something hysterical happens.

It's more for infected that you really need planning. With survivors you can do well by just playing by the rules. Stick together, melee pinned dudes, profit.
As infected you really have to set up ambushes fast and be able to pull off simple plans, which is only possible over voice. Just super basic stuff like who goes first, and when the boomer is planning on striking.