Left 4 Dead

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
That's what I figured, although I'm going to need a new headset before I go online.

Absolutely get a headset. I've started using mine for the first time ever, thanks to L4D. There are just too many times where not having one will cost your (or your team's) life. The characters are pretty good at calling out enemies or items, but pretty good isn't enough, and they don't call out hordes or help guide team mates that have been disoriented.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Headset is required. Actually, you really only need one intelligent person talking on your team, but everyone having headsets makes it easier.

Also, on Expert, you will be screwed if you don't have headsets.

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
And having a headset and chatting with BuFers on TS while playing is a blast.

Unless you're me and completely forgot how to properly work a headset after a year of disuse. On top of that asking "You guys playing UT3 tonight?" within the first 30 seconds of getting in TS.

PeterVenkman

May 12, 2008
Southern California
Headset is required. Actually, you really only need one intelligent person talking on your team, but everyone having headsets makes it easier.

Also, on Expert, you will be screwed if you don't have headsets.

I disagree. I play this game on expert every single day and I don't seem to have any problems without a headset. I can be smart about typing and do it fast enough that it isn't a problem.

In fact, the only problem I face without a headset is that I occassionally get kicked from a lobby by some jerks demanding a headset. Last night I lied about having one so that they wouldn't kick me, and it didn't become an issue once.

I just don't like wearing them. I don't like the sound quality, I don't like feeling wired to the computer, and I don't like adjusting it while I play.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I disagree. I play this game on expert every single day and I don't seem to have any problems without a headset. I can be smart about typing and do it fast enough that it isn't a problem.

In fact, the only problem I face without a headset is that I occassionally get kicked from a lobby by some jerks demanding a headset. Last night I lied about having one so that they wouldn't kick me, and it didn't become an issue once.

I just don't like wearing them. I don't like the sound quality, I don't like feeling wired to the computer, and I don't like adjusting it while I play.
I guess I didn't literally mean a headset. I just meant "speakers and a microphone".

If you don't have that, oh well. Most people I play with don't mind if you don't have a headset, but I've noticed a huge difference in the amount of damage I take in Expert when I have a mic versus when I don't.

Al

Reaper
Jun 21, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I guess I didn't literally mean a headset. I just meant "speakers and a microphone".

If you don't have that, oh well. Most people I play with don't mind if you don't have a headset, but I've noticed a huge difference in the amount of damage I take in Expert when I have a mic versus when I don't.

And having a mic and headphones makes it more fun.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com

It's not necessarily that you'd "have problems" as it is that you'd do better using one. Finding the Y button and then typing "Smoker on me - 6 o' clock" or the like takes what amounts to eons longer than just saying it. You can certainly play without one, but it's no substitute for having a mic.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
The patch is out. Looks like things have changed a good bit:

General
  • Fixed Survivors being able to climb surfaces marked for versus infected only
  • Fixed a class of SurvivorBot bugs dealing with rescuing downed players
  • Players can no longer grab ladders while flying through the air after a Tank punch
  • Shooting near a car with an alarm that has already fired the alarm will no longer make chirping noises
  • Improved loading time
  • Fixed mini-gun physics exploit
  • Fixed propane tanks (and other physics objects) causing players to fall through elevators
  • Fixed rare achievement bug issues
  • Fixed several map exploits
  • Fixed various match making issues
  • Fixed NAT traversal issues
Versus Changes
  • Added HUD elements to show status of other infected players
  • Changed color of infected player name in chat to red
  • Fixed exploit where players could spawn infected bots
  • Fixed instance where a Survivor changing to the infected team would be attacked by infected bots
  • Normalized special infected melee damage
  • Made the following client commands cheat protected: "Kill" and "explode"
  • Fixed exploit where infected players could run away and teleport back to gain health
  • Players can only change teams once per map
  • Players can't change teams while other players are still loading
  • Tank spawns at the same % through the map for both teams in versus mode
  • Made the Tank and Witch spawn directly on the escape route
  • Increased chance of getting the Tank or Witch
  • Fixed team swap issue
Hunter
  • Easier to pounce a Survivor who is meleeing
  • Increased Minimum damage a Hunter pounce does
Smoker
  • Fixed Smoker tongue tolerance
  • Smoker now has to be killed or the tongue destroyed for the tongue to break
  • Survivor's cannot bash someone off the tongue until the Survivor being pulled is paralyzed or hanging
  • Tongue attacks that fail to paralyze or hang a Survivor will use the shorter ability delay timer
  • Fixed cases where the ability timer was not using the correct time
  • Fixed case where you could point at a Survivor but not register a tongue hit
  • Fixed Smoker tongue not targeting and landing properly through PZ ghosts
  • Smoker tongue does damage every second while dragging paralyzed Survivors
Tank
  • Bashable objects now appear with a red glow
  • Tanks hitting a car with an alarm disables the alarm permanently
  • Tank frustration timer is only reset by hitting Survivors with rocks or fists
  • Reduced autoshotgun damage against Tanks
Witch
  • Witch spawns at the same % through the map for both teams
  • Avoids spawning within a certain % of the tank
  • Fixed an exploit where the Witch could be woken up and tricked into attacking Survivors

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Reduced autoshotgun damage against Tanks

Nice.
Too bad they are keeping Versus difficulty locked.

Smoker tongue does damage every second while dragging paralyzed Survivors

That sounds a bit silly. I'd rather see more damage while dragged & stopped.

Last edited:

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
That sounds a bit silly. I'd rather see more damage while dragged & stopped.

Well, I think it gives the Smoker a much-needed buff. As it is now, when you get attacked by him, it goes something like this:

"Whu-oh, I got Smokered! Drag.... drag... drag... drag... drag.... drag... drag... OW +1 point damage. Smoker is dead"

The Smoker was REALLY effective in certain situations and useless in others. In combination with the new anti-melee strength given the Smoker's tongue, it should help break up closet campers.

We'll have to see how it plays out in-game though...

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Well, I think it gives the Smoker a much-needed buff. As it is now, when you get attacked by him, it goes something like this:

"Whu-oh, I got Smokered! Drag.... drag... drag... drag... drag.... drag... drag... OW +1 point damage. Smoker is dead"

:lol::lol:

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
Smoker tongue does damage every second while dragging paralyzed Survivors

Here I was hoping they would do something along these lines. Honestly I am quite surprised. Glad to see they implemented it.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
It certainly makes it a lot tougher for the survivors.... which is probably a good thing. If you ask me, they could stand to reduce the respawn timer a bit, as well.

Another thing they have got to do is either get rid of the idiotic Tank control countdown, or get rid of stupid m14 slowing you down. The Tank is much better against a slaughterhouse of Autoshotguns, but now every game I've played everyone uses the machine gun since it slows the Tank down considerably.