Swaping fire modes

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Defeat

GET EM WITH THE BACKSMACK WOOOOO
Apr 2, 2005
Illinois
www.google.com
In UT2k4 it's possible to change the fire modes. Is it still possible for UT3 and specifically single weapons? I want to make the link beam primary fire.

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
It was possible in all previous Unreal games afaik. I don't know if you can do it in UT3, probably not because the game is so fail.

pine

Official Photography Thread Appreciator
Apr 29, 2001
IRL
Visit site
I played 2k4 today. It wasn't that fun but at least people were playing it.

Also TAM isn't nearly as bad as people say it is. I think I should probably turn myself into the Newb Police right now and save some time.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
You can spin this argument any way you like!

Anyone who thinks playing an unfinished, buggy piece of crap with the worst netcode of any game in the last ten years is fun needs psychiatric evaluation.

:)

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
But it is. In multiple ways. You just like how the game's messed up now, whereas before you didn't. It's unbalanced and f**ked up in a convenient way for you, so it's great!

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
But it is. In multiple ways. You just like how the game's messed up now, whereas before you didn't. It's unbalanced and f**ked up in a convenient way for you, so it's great!
Says the guy who supposedly doesn't play anymore. :p

The weapons aren't imbalanced towards rockets, hitscan is just as powerful as useful as in 2k4. Just because there's not a lot of lock down doesn't mean that shock taping doesn't' exist. Same rate of fire, I think it's the same damage, it's just as easy to kill with as in 2k3/4.

Try actually playing the game on a server that's not a pos like the FragBU server and you'll change your mind. The first weapon I pull out when I have the amp is the Sniper or shock if I don't have the Sniper. Pew pew pew.

pine

Official Photography Thread Appreciator
Apr 29, 2001
IRL
Visit site
I have to corroborate the evidence presented by Mr. Doe. On a good connection or with the ping compensation mod the weapons balance out almost perfectly. It also depends on the map -> enclosed areas = rox and flak, open areas = sniper/shock/minigun.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Says the guy who supposedly doesn't play anymore. :p

The weapons aren't imbalanced towards rockets, hitscan is just as powerful as useful as in 2k4. Just because there's not a lot of lock down doesn't mean that shock taping doesn't' exist. Same rate of fire, I think it's the same damage, it's just as easy to kill with as in 2k3/4.

Try actually playing the game on a server that's not a pos like the FragBU server and you'll change your mind. The first weapon I pull out when I have the amp is the Sniper or shock if I don't have the Sniper. Pew pew pew.
Well, I don't play anymore; that's just my experience from when I did play. I uninstalled months ago and I don't regret doing so. I also don't play UT2004 anymore because CoD4 is much, much more fun. I mean, I have played a couple games of TAM (the only favorites I had that didn't disappear) intermittently, but that wasn't fun and I never stuck to it, so I don't think that really qualifies as playing it.

I actually played less on the FragBU server than I did elsewhere. The few times I played FragBU things always ended up on some terrible WAR/VCTF map, which is, like, zero on the fun factor. Most of the time people ended up f**king around the entire time too. It was a complete waste of time.

Maybe in some theoretical ideal situation things might seem balanced, but between the higher pings to every server, the terrible netcode, the inaccurate tracers, the effed mouse input, etc., the hitscan feels like it's less powerful than it needs to be. The one thing that stands out vividly in my memory is how it seemed almost every time I shot the sniper it was totally random whether or not I got a hit. Shots that looked dead-on apparently missed while things that I felt I missed headshot the guy instead. I hated that. A lot.

Part of my issue also stemmed from the 1v1s I tried to play. Take the stuff above and add onto it too much emphasis and power stuck onto the belt, the goo being a silent killer with no self-risk, and that one map people played nonstop for 1v1s but is actually kind of bad due to there being one way to approach the belt, and the end result was basically, "Why am I playing this?" :eek:

For me the game never felt balanced, good, or fun, so... Yeah. D:

Now I'm just waiting for the expansion. I feel that there's about a 0.5% chance that it makes UT3 worth playing, but I suppose you never know...

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
Well, I don't play anymore; that's just my experience from when I did play. I uninstalled months ago and I don't regret doing so. I also don't play UT2004 anymore because CoD4 is much, much more fun. I mean, I have played a couple games of TAM (the only favorites I had that didn't disappear) intermittently, but that wasn't fun and I never stuck to it, so I don't think that really qualifies as playing it.

I actually played less on the FragBU server than I did elsewhere. The few times I played FragBU things always ended up on some terrible WAR/VCTF map, which is, like, zero on the fun factor. Most of the time people ended up f**king around the entire time too. It was a complete waste of time.

Maybe in some theoretical ideal situation things might seem balanced, but between the higher pings to every server, the terrible netcode, the inaccurate tracers, the effed mouse input, etc., the hitscan feels like it's less powerful than it needs to be. The one thing that stands out vividly in my memory is how it seemed almost every time I shot the sniper it was totally random whether or not I got a hit. Shots that looked dead-on apparently missed while things that I felt I missed headshot the guy instead. I hated that. A lot.

Part of my issue also stemmed from the 1v1s I tried to play. Take the stuff above and add onto it too much emphasis and power stuck onto the belt, the goo being a silent killer with no self-risk, and that one map people played nonstop for 1v1s but is actually kind of bad due to there being one way to approach the belt, and the end result was basically, "Why am I playing this?" :eek:

For me the game never felt balanced, good, or fun, so... Yeah. D:

Now I'm just waiting for the expansion. I feel that there's about a 0.5% chance that it makes UT3 worth playing, but I suppose you never know...
The game's changed, the way it is being played has changed. UTcomp and UT3's new net changed that. We had a pug last night and I was able to hit someone with shock prim six times due to him being stacked. It plays like 2k4 but hitscan is evened out by projectiles this time around. You can get a kill with any weapon, even the enforcers if you're not a bad player. :tup:

Though I must say, on pubs where skill is generally lacking most people just spam rockets and flak praying for a kill, and this is why I got two massacres in one night a few days ago. :c

unbecoming

The Money U Could Be Saving W/out Barry
Jan 21, 2008
St.Louis,MO
In UT2k4 it's possible to change the fire modes. Is it still possible for UT3 and specifically single weapons? I want to make the link beam primary fire.

Last time I checked-NO!This is another one of those deals where Epic deemed it a hack because you do not want to play it like everyone else does-similar to the custom X-hairs problem.

They expect you to change from your current setup even though you played that way for years.Yeah,the game is that good.So good all will bow to default controls and share the same ini's world wide.

Just another step back imho.I mean come on.How hard is it to have swap fire modes a year later?

If this expansion is not a 2k3-2k4 style upgrade it's pretty much done for good.