Emulators for nes

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

K

i bite
Jul 29, 2004
Magrathea
Hey guys,
I know someone has messed with this.

I want to play Tetris on my PC with a gamepad.
All of the Flash versions i have found on the web don't support gamepads.

So i thought i should just find a good NES emulator.
But last time i tried this i ended up with a nasty trojan and had to reinstall my OS. It fried my HD.:eek:

Does any one know of a good emulator?
How do i install this kind of thing? Is it hard?
What do i need to look for?
Does it come with roms? I really just want tetris.

Any one with experience please post some recommendations.:D

K

i bite
Jul 29, 2004
Magrathea
Ahh the Nesticle was a good one. I remember that one.
Downloading now.
Do you remember if it is self installing?

My roomates dug out the old NES last week and we have all been battling on the Tetris. But i freeking suck. I need to practice.
This is perfect.

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
I use Nesticle. I have no idea where it came from since a friend got it for me, but I've been using it for years with no problems.
Holy **** dude. Do you know how horribly inaccurate NESTicle is compared to modern day emulators? :lol:

For me, there's really only two options, and it mostly depends on if you want cheating capabilities or not.

1. NESTopia. This thing is damn accurate, but you'll need slightly decent specs to run it (i.e; probably a system capable of playing UT2004 should have no real problems.) because it's Cycle-Accurate; however, this means emulation is probably about as realistically accurate as you can get. Run on Win, Mac OSX, and Linux. Cheatcode support (Game Genie/Pro Action Replay) is a bit flaky, however.
  2. FCEUX. This is based on an emulator called FCE Ultra, which is no longer under active development, however a new team is working on it with the old source code and merging together some of the stuff other forks of FCE Ultra's code had. It looks promising and has generally better cheat support, but it's not Cycle-Accurate. Unless your game is fussy as hell, though, it should still run in this emulator. Win32 and SDL versions available.
There's really no other emulators in the game that can compare to these two.

leilei

ANIME ELF'S !!
Jan 20, 2008
Kawaks is fine.
NES and Famicom I recommend NESTopia
Nesticle is old, outdated broken DOS software

Dark Pulse

Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA

1. That isn't NES, that's Genesis/Megadrive, Sega CD, and 32x if memory serves.
  2. It's woefully inferior compared to Kega Fusion. I mean, a guy who programmed retail Genesis games wrote it. :p
whats the latest with ng and cp1/2 emuy's?
Kawaks still good?
Kawaks is pretty good, yeah. If those are the only games you'll be playing, it's probably "better" than full-on MAMEUI.
Java Emulators. Yuck. While it's damn good for portability, the compatability is something to be desired.

For the NES, the compatability Acid Tests would be the Japanese version of Castlevania 3 (Akumajou Densetsu) or Lagrange Point.

Last edited:

SirYawnalot

Slapping myself in the face
Jan 17, 2004
England
www.facebook.com
  1. That isn't NES, that's Genesis/Megadrive, Sega CD, and 32x if memory serves.
  2. It's woefully inferior compared to Kega Fusion. I mean, a guy who programmed retail Genesis games wrote it. :p

1. My point was that Megadrive is better than NES ;P. And all other consoles, for that matter. I just love trolling.
  2. I haven't tried Kega since I was first scouting for emulators around five years ago, but my impression of it back then was that it wasn't as good as Gens, regardless of who designed it.

K

i bite
Jul 29, 2004
Magrathea
OMFG!!! I GOT ROLLING THUNDER!!!! THE BEST GAME EVER MADE!!!!!
This is a glorious occasion. To bad i'm out of "trees" right now.
I would stay up and play this mother all night long!
my thumbs are already sweaty and i've only made it to mission 2.:lol::D

Thanks for all the help guys.
I ended up using nestopia. It is really user friendly and works great.
I need to tweak it a little maybe. sometimes i get a little mess up graphics on the side of the screen as i scroll to the right. not a big deal though.

Man this is the ****. I forgot how much fun this system is.

Dark Pulse

Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
  1. My point was that Megadrive is better than NES ;P. And all other consoles, for that matter. I just love trolling.
  2. I haven't tried Kega since I was first scouting for emulators around five years ago, but my impression of it back then was that it wasn't as good as Gens, regardless of who designed it.
Yeah, back then, Kega was pretty meh. It's improved quite drastically. He stopped work on Kega, and then began a rewrite called Kega Lazarus. I believe he lost Lazarus due to a HD crash, and so he rewrote his stuff from scratch again, and that became Kega Fusion. There hasn't been an update on it in awhile, but it's probably the most accurate Genesis/MD emulator there is, both in terms of games it runs and Sound (Gens had some pretty notorious problems with certain games that used the GEMS Music Engine, like Comix Zone and Shaq Fu.)

I used to use GENS, but once Kega Fusion came out, it simply blew it out of the water. Give it a spin.
tut tut dark pulse, encouraging people into intellectual property theft...
Now now, Emulators themselves aren't illegal. It's downloading ROMs you don't have that are illegal. Emulators themselves aren't. :p

Last edited:

SirYawnalot

Slapping myself in the face
Jan 17, 2004
England
www.facebook.com
Yeah, back then, Kega was pretty meh. It's improved quite drastically. He stopped work on Kega, and then began a rewrite called Kega Lazarus. I believe he lost Lazarus due to a HD crash, and so he rewrote his stuff from scratch again, and that became Kega Fusion. There hasn't been an update on it in awhile, but it's probably the most accurate Genesis/MD emulator there is, both in terms of games it runs and Sound (Gens had some pretty notorious problems with certain games that used the GEMS Music Engine, like Comix Zone and Shaq Fu.)

I used to use GENS, but once Kega Fusion came out, it simply blew it out of the water. Give it a spin.

I'll definitely give it a go then, cheers for the info.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
For me, there's really only two options, and it mostly depends on if you want cheating capabilities or not.

That comes accross as somewhat ironic with the current news on games and consoles.