UT3 User Interface vs the rest

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Non functional to me sounds like "unusable and broken" not "doesn't save my settings for an instant action game" ;)

Unknown Target

Jan 22, 2008
The UI works, and works well. UT players just bitch because they expected more. COD4 never got any complaints and it's just as bad, because people weren't' expecting the same level of customizability.

Sys-X

Commercialized Killer !!!
Mar 22, 2006
Netherlands
lol man, they ripped out 80% of the stuff in the ui, it's like going back in time instead of improving and building on what we had.
No wonder people will whine, many do used the options and configurations that are gone now, that is also a reason why expectations where high in the first place.

Last edited:

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
I asked for Screenshots and explanations. (Are people really played HL2:DM?)

How thick headed are you? :p No offense but you shouldn't even need an explanation, just check it out for yourself. :lol:

The UI works, and works well. UT players just bitch because they expected more. COD4 never got any complaints and it's just as bad, because people weren't' expecting the same level of customizability.

Haha, that's cause CoD4's UI is about 100 times better. I could care less about customization, UT3's is just clunky and slow, even decent console UIs are better.

Last edited:

WHIPperSNAPper

Mar 22, 2003
Visit site
People are still complaining about the UT3 interface and how bad it is. Well, time to hand over the proof. Provide screenshots of user interfaces of "recent" (say... any game released in the last 5 years) games and explain why it is better than the UT3 UI.

Oh, but we're not comparing UT3's UI to other games...we're comparing it to the game that came right before it--UT 2004.

Consequently, if you owned a nice 2004 Lexus and then a Chinese company purchased Lexus in 2007 and began releasing real ****ty cars with Yugo-like build quality and you then purchased a 2008 Lexus, you'd probably complain a whole lot too.

I think that if UT3's user interface were the only thing wrong with the game at it's release then far, far more people would be playing it today. Unfortunately it had a great many other problems. One of the reasons why people focus on the User Interface is because it is, more or less, a good symbol of UT3's problems (consolization, being half-assed, unpolished, not living up to UT 2004 standards).

For a non-UT game with a good User Interface (that feels like a...wow...PC game) check out Sins of a Solar Empire--very well polished.

Last edited:

WHIPperSNAPper

Mar 22, 2003
Visit site
Those of you saying the UT2004 menu is better than the UT3 menu make me laugh. When UT2004 first came out almost everyone was complaining about how bad it was, because it is only very slightly better than UT3 in terms of how many clicks it takes to get places.

That may be, but after having patched it up as Epic did, why the hell couldn't Epic just port it over to UT3 or at least produce something just as comparable?

Can you imagine what would happen to an automobile company if, when they released a new model, instead of providing a product with features as good as what previous models had had they reverted back to the Model T? Epic knew what to do! They had already made an excellent User Interface. It's not an issue of chemistry nor a mystery! Then they f'd it up in UT3.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Also it might be worth noting again, I bumped this thread from awhile back AND you might wanna read the whole thread before snappin out a reply. Theres no need for single liners in this thread really, theres plenty of good points in here I think.

Acouple of the biggest points I think are the ones I made about UT2k4's, UT2k3's and Uwindows vs other interfaces and not only UT3's. So please be objective if you can, if you cant, well opinions do matter but try to keep it to a minimum guys.

And btw WHIPerSNAPer, ford did a replica remake of the GT40 recently :rolleyes:

Last edited:

TheIronKnuckle

What the hell is this "ballin" thing?
NON-functional.

The lag is absolutely horrendus. I cannot select the options i want to because my mouse moves at half a frame per second. selecting anything becomes like a game of worms. I have to guess where my cursor will land and move the mouse accordingly. Often i overshoot the option.

This is walking a fine line-between functional and non-functional. The menu does allow me to play the game. But it makes getting anywhere a complete challenge.

Add to this the general lack of polish present in the menu anyway. The result is a pile of ****.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
NON-functional.

The lag is absolutely horrendus. I cannot select the options i want to because my mouse moves at half a frame per second. selecting anything becomes like a game of worms. I have to guess where my cursor will land and move the mouse accordingly. Often i overshoot the option.

This is walking a fine line-between functional and non-functional. The menu does allow me to play the game. But it makes getting anywhere a complete challenge.

Add to this the general lack of polish present in the menu anyway. The result is a pile of ****.
This sounds kind of like complaining that UT3 won't run at all on your Grandma's Hewlett Packard computer purchased in 2001.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Yeah SolidSnake is right, as he mentioned in the other thread there is alot of swish or something to the like about the menu. Its also been mentioned the map in the background which loads regardless of post processing settings it would seem.

I do see where TheIronKnuckle is coming from in regards to the menu being non-functional because speed is a prime factor in UI usability especially when things are getting so slow its almost useless. Like the server browser for instance, that whole window clogs up to all hell on my PC and no its not a HP (my grandma doesnt own a PC).

Also to note, I think changing the minFPS to 60 from 30 helped the UI run quicker for me :p

Last edited:

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
No.

But maybe more important, why on earth should we (customers) admit anything related to something not so great/bad in a product we bought? (unless you're a fan boy, but then you would be ignorant).

sneh

-
Apr 11, 2008
www.grozmo.com
I won't try to assume how much extra work it would have taken and I'm not defending it. I'm just saying, the UI works just fine, whether it is missing features you want it to have or not isn't the issue.

Ok so I can accept you think its "fine", only because the few things that are objectively "unpolished" or "clunky" are in reality fairly minor. (eg. Favourites browser lack of "Back" or ESC) - its annoying but I can live with it

I can also see why people think it's been "consolized" and why this is a negative thing - the menu funcionality was not designed for a mouse.
Maybe that wouldn't be a problem, but unfortunately there is evidence for this being a bad thing in how some menu's act. (eg Voting menu, fighting sometimes to pick what you actually clicked)

I am upset because they over-simplified some basic options out of this installment of the game. I do wish UT3 replaced any need to still play UT2004 offline (beyond the sake of playing it as another game that I like) - I still play offline UT2004 because of just a few basic bot options which keeps it interesting enough.

Basically - they should approach it a bit differently next time. Making a menu system for the PC and console separately would probably do the trick.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I'm not saying the UI should not be better or improved. I just can't understand people saying it's non functional. I don't have an amazing computer, but other than "loading lag" (the lag you get on certain menus from it loading data into it) only lasts for a few seconds and I don't get any of the so-called "mouse lag" anywhere but the mid-game menu.

So, yes, it should be better, but it works. And it's not the only game with a map behind the menu.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
I believe the term functional can have a very different meanin in UI's because its not just function or form but there is functional form and function of form. For eg from the wiki on a different subject but what I think applies to alot of design fields:

Functionalism, in architecture, is the principle that architects should design a building based on the purpose of that building.

Now perhaps the correct term is "not functioning correctly" when the mouse freezes or you click in the middle of two buttons and it goes to the incorrect one. We really dont need to argue semantics all the time do we? Im pretty sure you got what they were hinting at.

To me the first sign of a program not functioning is audio repeating or the mouse not moving, both of which the UT3 menu does at certain times. Now ofcoarse it doesnt go completely unresponsive and freeze entirely but its enough to warrant the label of being non-functional since its the job of a User Interface to take User Input. If it needs time the think then the user should be made fully aware of whats going on, thats something all UI's should do.

Either way you look at it semantically the menu is unresponsive, poorly laid out and could use work to bring it up to scratch. Its obvious Epic put form over function which is not what UI design should be about, its certainly an important aspect but you have to draw a line in the sand.