Gigabyte GA-X48-DQ6 vs GA-EP45-DQ6

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

-n7-

May 12, 2006
Edmonton, AB
All those boards are higher end OCing ones...basically for me :p

Not for you based on what you mentioned you are looking for.

Go with one of the cheaper P45 Gigabytes (DS3s) or the Asus P5Q series (which i'd prefer).

No need to be paying for a high end board when you are utilizing absolutely nothing those boards are meant for.

Last edited:

_Lynx

Strategic Military Services
Staff member
Dec 5, 2003
Moscow, Russia
beyondunreal.com
Note that X48 is the top mobo by Gigabyte currently and will be more costly. Actaully any "DQ6" mobos are the ones with most stuff onboard. The biggest plus of X48 to me is that I was able to install the Zalman CNPS9700 cooler without any problems. You will most likely have problems because of the radiators around the socket, in case with that cooler or any other coolers that are fastend with a clip to a mounted bracket around socket.

EP45-EXTREME is not as good as P45-DQ6 or X48-DQ6 because it has just 4 USB ports on the back and has stuff to connect water cooling, which may be a waste of money for you. Not sure about P45-DQ6, but X48-DQ6 has 8 USB ports on the back. Incredibly convenient.

So, I'd say EP45-EXTREME is a no go for sure, the two others - check how much various connectors (SATA/USB) these mobos have, how well they are placed etc. and decide accordingly.

Last edited:

Derdak2rot

DVD2r
Jan 8, 2005
France
-It's likely that I will be using an nVidia graphics card (GTX 280).

-I will NOT be using SLI or Crossfire.

-I will be using RAID - Only two disks in RAID 0 though, and perhaps one non RAID disk for storage.

-I want DDR2 (DDR3 is still a rip-off).

-I'm not concerned with overclocking features (BIOS or otherwise), as I don't really intend to do any overclocking.

Which of the above motherboards will be best for me and why? :)

well , with all you mention ,you dont need any of these three motherboards , would be waste of money imo ;)

a P45-DS3R will fit perfectly , raid ( hence the "R" in the name ), DDR2 and sufficient USB slots ( 6 if i remember ) ;) and you could still do some overclocking with it later as i did with mine ( E6750@3.4ghz )

Last edited:

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
I think I was having the same questions when I was scouting hardware for the next upgrade cycle, which is going to be incremental for me since the interfaces haven't changed in the last 3 years :)

Looks like someone else got inspired by the Ars Technica system builder article?