FreeFall Returns

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

takwu

cXp coder Tak®
Feb 5, 2004
www.mif.vu.lt
FreeFall... The only stock map that is "love it or hate it". But even if you're in the "hate it" crowd, you can't deny that FreeFall is special, and it's a part of XMP that cannot be taken out.

So as part of the XMP resurrection - FreeFall Returns! :lol:

This time, I try to make it play more like a normal map, yet retain as much of the original map as I can. First up: no more low grav! I changed the gravity back to normal level. Also the mutator is removed, so you do get fall damage.

Now you need a way to get around, so I installed a network of walkways. On these walkways you can literally walk from DP to Arti to Gen and back and again... No more falling, unless you try something stupid, and fail...

Now you can play the map like a normal map, with a FreeFall taste. It's still very much a Ranger map, with lots of sniping opportunities. Gunners can really take shortcuts with the conc jump, but watch where you land... Techs are most effective on blocking all those narrow paths, so brush up on your Pac-man strategies.

Batman Returns. Superman Returns. Just as you thought it was all over - FreeFall Returns!

http://members.shaw.ca/takwu/XMP/XMP-FreeFallReturns.zip

Attachments

• Shot00002.JPG
    Shot00002.JPG
    381.2 KB · Views: 37
  • Shot00003.JPG
    Shot00003.JPG
    391.5 KB · Views: 24
  • Shot00004.JPG
    Shot00004.JPG
    381.7 KB · Views: 21
  • Shot00005.JPG
    Shot00005.JPG
    388.1 KB · Views: 20
  • Shot00006.JPG
    Shot00006.JPG
    424.3 KB · Views: 19

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
Could you add there somewhere the Sanctuary generator pit with the heavyskaarj? Because it was meant to be in that asteroid actually, the alpha had it, although in samller version and it was not generator at all, but there was that with the lift. It could be cool if you could add the grappling hooks (tractor beams) to the game as it was meant before to ply this map.

takwu

cXp coder Tak®
Feb 5, 2004
www.mif.vu.lt
Leo,
I actually think the generator pit would be kinda nice in an XMP map, for wall dodging and stuff. Not sure how it fits in FreeFall, but as it is, that area, including the outdoor part, would work with XMP characters and vehicles as well.

Jackal,
You have no idea... I spent an entire day (10+ hours) putting jumppads on almost every asteroid. The problem is, jumppad directions are fixed. So each jumppad needs to be optimized for a certain destination - i.e. another asteroid.

The problem with that is 1) you might want a few jumppads on each asteroid, for a few different destinations. Especially considering the changing priorities during XMP gameplay (RGB is not XMP...). 2) it's hard to optimize. The jumppad has a 3D vector (XYZ) for the velocity, and you basically put in random numbers until you get it right. UT2004 jumppads use destination point instead, for that very reason. 3) your freedom is restricted due to the jumppad's limitation. You can't really say "I want to go there" because you are on an asteroid in the middle of space with jumppads that let you go "here, and here".

So after dinner, I started from scratch. :rolleyes: The walkways are comparably less restrictive (still somewhat). At least you can pick which way to go, at any time. I built the network of walkways till the next morning. I re-considered using jumppads while building the walkways, to get to high places. But in the end there was no need.

For example I used two ramps to get to the giant turret control, where I could've used jumppads. That was more because of my fatigue than anything: at that point I was so efficient building the walkways I didn't want to bother with that dinky little jumppad actor. But it turns out the ramps are more fun in that room than the jumppads would be.

Having said that, a few thoughtfully placed jumppads could certainly improve the map. It's just a bit too much work for me to do it properly :( The only stock maps that use jumppads are NaKoja and Alcazar, in both cases they are used to get to higher places.

Hopefully, the walkways alone are fun enough for everyone to enjoy this map. And we can all say "GG" in FreeFall Returns :D

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2004
We need a map that has sandy white beaches, crystal clear water, and a palm tree forest that leads upwards to maybe a volcano. Maybe have 1 base ontop of the volcano, another at the other end of the island. The island size? hmmm, maybe alittle big but not too big.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Hint how to do the destination of jumppad quickier, place an actor where you wanna have the final destination, copy the xyz location (in movement menu), then delete the actor and place the locations on the jumppad destination.

About the pit: It was a part of the base inside the asteroid, it was smaller than in sanctuary, but it had same pillar lift inside and the pit wasn't open from top (it was open from side a bit I think), only at the lift or something.
the asteroid t3d might have it or something.

Last edited:

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
...and it's a part of XMP that cannot be taken out.
False. Look at UTXMP! :D Would love to see Freefall there though.
We need a map that has sandy white beaches, crystal clear water, and a palm tree forest that leads upwards to maybe a volcano. Maybe have 1 base ontop of the volcano, another at the other end of the island. The island size? hmmm, maybe alittle big but not too big.
You are talking about XMP-IslandHop, aren't you? :D

takwu

cXp coder Tak®
Feb 5, 2004
www.mif.vu.lt
Leo,
like I said in UT2K4 you can do that with jumppads - just set the destination. But in U2XMP, jumppads don't have destination, just a velocity vector, so it's hard to optimize :(

GreatEmerald,
UTXMP is missing a lot of stuff that defines XMP. FreeFall is only one example. Therefore, UTXMP is not complete! :D

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Ah now I looked at it at editor, yeah well it's just set by velocity.