Crytek ending support for Crysis,

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
Crysis singleplayer should be experienced by every gamer out there regardless of your taste.

Crysis multiplayer, if your computer can handle it, is a hell of a lot of fun. That's also if you find the good servers where people actually know how to play. Of course it's also fun sometimes to just jump in a game and start running around like a sandbox. Huge maps, lots of vehicles, new weapons (like the Tac Nuke launcher).

8-4-7-2

Mar 6, 2000
Germany
Crysis is some good fun for a while and looks excellent. The gameplay is pretty repetitive, but the game isn't that long anyways.
What sucks is the storytelling, as the characters and the dialogue are very clichéd and stereotyped. That part becomes annoying very quickly and especially at the end.

All in all, it's not the super-duper-mega-game it was hyped as, but not bad as a short diversion.

I can understand the decision to go multiplatform, but unfortunately it will just hurt the games, as consoles are severely limited; mostly with graphics, but also the controls.

Last edited:

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
So I skimmed over this and looked for posts from people who look like mods and the like (I don't actually know the who is who of that forum) and people get told that support is not dropped and is very important to them and to "keep an open mind" about that news. Then there's this link floating around:
http://www.incrysis.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=657
That's what's there till page 22.

Even if there would be something like a free expansion pack with a 1.4 version number on the horizon that's not a good way to handle marketing. Thanks to the experience with gaming support in the last years people tend to be touchy with news like that.

Jonathan

Mar 19, 2006
"Crysis Warzone" sounds like a simplified/shrunk down Crysis, like the Battlefield series on consoles.

Nemephosis

Earning my Infrequent Flier miles
Aug 10, 2000
Isn't Crysis a relatively new(ish) game? And they're not supporting it?

+1 console gaming.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I beg to differ. You're just not very creative :p
That's your opinion, but I agree with 84. By the end of the game, the gameplay gets quite boring. It's upsetting partially because the end 1/4th of the game is the most interesting but also the most boring.
It's not often you a company cease support on such a popular game this early though.
Maybe it wasn't as popular as they made it out to be :p

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
That's your opinion, but I agree with 84. By the end of the game, the gameplay gets quite boring. It's upsetting partially because the end 1/4th of the game is the most interesting but also the most boring.

I'm not talking about the last quarter of the game because I also agree that it blows. But the tropical jungle levels provide the opportunity for very diverse action allowing you to use numerous styles of play to assault each encounter.

If he thinks the gameplay during the early half of the game is repetitive then he clearly wasn't aware of the variety of ways there are to go about accomplishing each objective.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
It's not about how many ways you can do something. It's that you can only do the exact same things in different ways by doing the same actions from different angles and things.

The first 3/4th of the game is the same boring level design with somewhat interesting gameplay. The last 1/4th of the game is the more interesting level design with the same gameplay from the beginning of the game but more boring because you've been doing it for 3/4th of the game and now you're in tighter spots.

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
It's not about how many ways you can do something. It's that you can only do the exact same things in different ways by doing the same actions from different angles and things.

Even that sort of description can't be held against the game and its gameplay. Compared to most other action FPS' it is still providing much greater versatility. Nearly all other games in its class give you a few ways to take action (lets say 10 weapons) with only 1 or 2 ways to go along the course. And the very first time you replay the game you're seeing action from the exact same angles every time with enemies in the same spots.

The first 3/4th of the game is the same boring level design with somewhat interesting gameplay.

You're bored with the design? Do you mean the way the levels look? I mean it's all the same island, it can't be designed too differently from one level to the next.
Otherwise I'd like to know how it bores you. I thought it was a pretty good selection of terrain that gave you the ability to play in a number of ways.
You start with the quiet tropical coast and small huts and fortifications, move to a similar area but with a large compound you must infiltrate, then you get to the jungles interior. There's a large base on an 'island' in a gorge you fight through during the evening and night, then take on that big NK port in the bay before fighting your way to the relic in the bottom of a massive valley. Before entering the alien area (where the game basically stops being worth playing) you're fighting your way through a small base, a train depot and down the bottom of the huge excavation site.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
I did explore different ways to approach the levels, FFS. It's honestly not as cool and nonlinear as you claim. But I'm used to it having argued with Fullbleed; fanboys always exaggerate. D:

It wasn't enough to convince me the gameplay was super awesome and nonlinear. Ultimately, whenever I got in a tight spot with TEN ASSHOLES chasing me down, the sneaky silenced weapon approach was all that worked. I played the game on "hard" and even when not on Delta mode there's only so many bullets you can take before getting raped. And that number was certainly far less than the amount that would have been shot into my face had I not been sneaky most of the time. Being in the open in such situations usually means you're dead. Hell, simply using a gun without a silencer could mean death, especially when there's a boat following your every move and shooting at you from 900 yards away.

I jumped up onto things at random to shoot from there. I sped up to some guy at 60 MPH only to grab him and hold him hostage. I ran over lots of guys in humvees and even kamikazed the one I was driving to take out another most of the time. I shot exploding barrels to get everyone's attention before assaulting them from a different direction. I used speed mode to plant C4 on a patrolling tank and then run away, all in the span of three seconds, so I could get through without going around the base. I even got through a forest and across a river with zero ammo using the sleeper-dart thing.

Time and time again, the most effective way to approach any situation was to be sneaky. Since everything you do takes away your suit's energy, and since your suit's energy is the only thing that keeps you from dying from every third bullet shot at you, you're definitely limited in how much Superman bullsh*t you can pull off at any given time. Sure, when there's one or two guys around you can do whatever the f**k you want, but there were times (and it seemed too often) that the entire Korean army was hunting me down.

But, all that said, I got through the game without any real problems. "Hard" difficulty was barely hard at all. There were annoying points -- the choppers, the boats, the fact that the vehakals usually blew up before I could do anything useful in them -- but overall it was much, much easier than Far Cry. And I played Far Cry on the third of five difficulty levels rather than the third of four. D:

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
That's the way I read things in the quote.

"We have a reason why we won't support this game anymore but we won't tell you until our engineers have given us some answers, That's it for our update! please come back again in a month or so where you can read some more useless ****s like this."

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
Hell, simply using a gun without a silencer could mean death, especially when there's a boat following your every move and shooting at you from 900 yards away.

I agree with T2A on this one. That and the tank and aircraft portions were my least fav in what could otherwise be a very good experience. God I hated that ****ing tank, thank god you could just ditch it and go solo.

Oh yeah and does anyone else think its odd that Koreans seem to lack swimming capabilities in the future. I toss them in the ocean all the time because I know they wont be coming back up :eek:

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
^ Wow, I thought the tank portion of the game was one of the most fun. If you took it slow and stayed back you could dominate. If you drove right out into the open, say goodbye. I brought my tank to places where you weren't even supposed to, and took out a sniper nest up in a tower that was meant to be infiltrated on foot. Good times.

Crysis [the first 3/4] is really what you make of it. Since it is indeed non-linear, it can either be really boring or really fun. It depends on the imagination of the player. If you have none, it will be boring. It you have some, if will be fun. Simple as that. Myself, I had a blast with it. It's literally Rambo the game until you reach that god damn mothership.