UT3 for XBox 360 Will Have Mod Support

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
Looks like the Million Dollar Question has finally been answered: According to the guys at OXM, Yes, the XBox 360 version of UT3 will have mods. So sayeth Mark Rein himself:

Rein confirmed that Epic is talking with Microsoft about getting round the company's reluctance to share user-generated content, and is "cautiously optimistic" that a solution is coming.

He did say that it was unlikely that "user exchanged mods" would be included in the game because it's so close to release, but Epic hope to have a solution at a later date.

Harmatia

Feb 8, 2008
Grain of salt, guys.

Remember when split-screen for ps3 had the potential to come "down the line"?

Lee3dee

I make stuff go BOOM!
Dec 8, 2004
Austin, TX
if MS cannot make money on user-created content then its not going to happen. giving game add-ons for free isn't something you usually see on xblive.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Well I think part of the whole idea behind mods is that users can exchange them, to me it just sounds like the 360 version will have retail bonus packs. What seperates a bonus pack or an expansion from a mod you ask? Perhaps its the price bracket and who's involved with the release.

Kinda defeats the purpose, I guess theres just more money to be had on consoles otherwise we would see more retail mods on PC... Oh wait, there is a few of those as well :confused:

I dont get it! Oh well, no biggy anyways I guess. I bet PC is sure looking like an attractive option, yeah it'll cost you more upfront but atleast you get your bonus packs and mods for free :p

Enfluence

I kinda like UT3.
Jan 25, 2008
I'm not going to buy it untill i actually hear about some user content that is actually "free" on xbox live..

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
I dont get it! Oh well, no biggy anyways I guess. I bet PC is sure looking like an attractive option, yeah it'll cost you more upfront but atleast you get your bonus packs and mods for free :p
As well as some mods PS3 and 360 would never be able to run without being reduced in some form.

Problem is, then you need a PC that can run the game. :p

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Yeah thats a good point hey, totally forgot about the whole limited resources dealy. Must be all the marketing drilling holes in my brain again :lol:

zynthetic

robot!
Aug 12, 2001
zynthetic.com
Problem is, then you need a PC that can run the game. :p

My 8800gt cost a little more than half a 360. The rest of the hardware is a jumble of modern midgrade, recenly discontinued (end-of-lifed), and 2001 era components. 360s are fun, my roommate has one. It (ut3-360) may make new fans of the series who've never been exposed to Unreal but it shouldn't be a solution to someone w/ a subpar computer who only wants to play UT3.

Phopojijo

A Loose Screw
Nov 13, 2005
Canada
Cost *less* than a console. *Less*.

1) You're going to have a PC anyway... the cost to upgrade a typical home machine to a (fairly high-end) gaming machine (especially given the 9600/8800GTs) is ~200-300$. Most common home PCs being sold have AMD X2's and Core2Duos and 2GB of Ram... even those being sold in Walmart. (Whether you can mount a videocard to them is the question though...)

2) Games don't have licensing fees.

3) If everyone jumps onto PC you don't have to worry about stupid "exclusives" and such. A *lot* of people who have a console, have more than one. Negates the purpose, eh?

I don't see why people don't just start pushing the market of mediacenter PCs with gaming videocards... and start manufacturing PC games with Play'n'Tray and splitscreen for gamepads.

Platform owners won't need to worry about losing money... gamers won't need to worry about segregated markets... developers won't need to worry about multiplatform releases.

Last edited:

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
3) If everyone jumps onto PC you don't have to worry about stupid "exclusives" and such. A *lot* of people who have a console, have more than one. Negates the purpose, eh?

I don't see why people don't just start pushing the market of mediacenter PCs with gaming videocards... and start manufacturing PC games with Play'n'Tray and splitscreen for gamepads.

Platform owners won't need to worry about losing money... gamers won't need to worry about segregated markets... developers won't need to worry about multiplatform releases.

Ahh if only, my perfect world summed up! Well done :D

Mar 19, 2002
Denver Co. USA
Visit site
where are these 2-3 hundred dollar PCs that run UT3 you guys are finding?

I still use my P41.7 with 512mb RAM.
The mother board won't handle more than a 2.0 gig proccy, and those were only in production for a month so they are practically non existant.

2-3 hundred dollars would get me a case + motherboard, power supply, and that's about it.
________
VOLCANO CLASSIC

Last edited:

Phopojijo

A Loose Screw
Nov 13, 2005
Canada

The mother board won't handle more than a 2.0 gig proccy, and those were only in production for a month so they are practically non existant.

2-3 hundred dollars would get me a case + motherboard, power supply, and that's about it.
200-300$ EXTRA to buy a high-end gaming machine. IE: You already have the other 400-500$ purchase. It just costs 200-300$ to be gaming at, or above, 720p with everthing up for a couple of years.

Mar 19, 2002
Denver Co. USA
Visit site
let me put it this way:

In order to have a better proccy, I need a better motherboard, which means a case to fit... then I need new RAM, an new graphics card, and new power supply... if my sound card and optical drives are still operational, I could save a swift 100 dollars there!!

I need a new PC!!
2-300 dollars would get me the graphics card.
________
LIVE SEX

Last edited:

Harmatia

Feb 8, 2008

I just built my dad a $250 computer.

AMD 5000+ processor, cheap case w/ power supply, cheap RAM, cheap HD...

Pop in a $150 9600 GT, and it could run Ut3 well.

Iron Archer

Holy ****ing King of Trolls
Mar 23, 2000
Obamaland
let me put it this way:

In order to have a better proccy, I need a better motherboard, which means a case to fit... then I need new RAM, an new graphics card, and new power supply... if my sound card and optical drives are still operational, I could save a swift 100 dollars there!!

I need a new PC!!
2-300 dollars would get me the graphics card.

I ran into this predicament about a year ago. Solution: I bought a $600 HDTV instead for my pc/gaming console monitor. The PC upgrade will have to wait.