This Thing Is On?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
The realization that a major hardware catastrophe had possibly destroyed not only BeyondUnreal but our backup as well, meant possibly starting over from scratch. It was not a good way to start last week. Our first concern was for our hosted sites and then for the data created by the thousands of users that inhabit our forums and our two wikis. As our crack team of forensic experts began to sift through the digital debris regurgitated by our database, the picture went from funereal to merely somber and gloomy thanks to the salvage of sufficient chunks of data. Still, a year and a half's worth of forum posts and a few other casualties is a tough pill to swallow.

Fortunately, work is already underway to set things back to normal, but there is much work to be done. Brizz, has already addressed hosted sites and how they can move forward. I'd like to mention a few things to those of you who use our forums. First of all, if you registered in the last eighteen months or so, you'll unfortunately have to re-register - unless you were banned, in which case you'll want to forego that step. Second, if you've had your name changed in that time period, you'll need to resubmit your request in our once-massive Name Change thread. It may take a while, but I promise we'll get to them. Finally, if you have a hosted forum that has either vanished altogether or needs moderator/private access updates, please send me a PM in the forums and I'll get those done too.

I thought about writing an essay on What I did on my Winter Vacation during the downtime, but I'm pretty sure it was about the same as many others that weren't involved in surgically piecing together a suicidal database. Basically, it involved playing lots of games I hadn't had time to catch up on. Mostly first-person, but also a couple of RTS games as well. Strange what you find yourself doing when you have time on your hands. Anyhow, welcome back. Thanks for being patient. I'll shut up now.

DannyMeister

UT3 Jailbreak Coder
Dec 11, 2002
Bolivar, Missouri
No need to shut up. What games were you playing? I had fun with Mass Effect, Call of Duty 4, a few DotA games (Warcraft 3 custom map), and of course UT3 this winter break.

Thanks for all the effort to get this place back to normal!

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
on the unreal wiki, im a bit dissapointed no one has seemed interested in doc'ing UE3 stuff (maybe its becaues of the UDN). That said it is chock full of useful info for UE1-2.

Flak

I am Gamer, hear me Pwn. RAWR
May 26, 2004
You don't know what you've got until it's gone.

Thanks guys <3

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
I think, hal, that no one can stick to one game and refuse to play other games. Like one would refuse to have sex in his entire life. You have to look around, even if it makes you absent for 5 days.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
silly question: can't we rebuild the lost forum posts using google cache? Attachments will be lost, but the text should be there?
You can get right on that. Won't take long!

A novel idea but totally impractical. Here's a few of my gems if you want to get started. :)

http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cach...om"&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us&client=firefox-a
http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cach...ew"&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us&client=firefox-a
http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cach...nt"&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us&client=firefox-a

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
I am just glad to see hal's monkeyman with the gun avitar is back.

I miss the avatar he used when I first joined. That S-shaped dragon holding a UT1 shock rifle. What's the name? I can't remember. He used it for years.

You can get right on that. Won't take long!

A novel idea but totally impractical. Here's a few of my gems if you want to get started. :)

http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cach...om"&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us&client=firefox-a

Haha. I'm actually surprised google can do that (Never heard of google's cache system before). Now I can rebuild my sig the way it was before, and remember that I had 12,891 posts.

Last edited:

isp_of_doom

Jan 22, 2008
one expression applicable to every situation comes to mind: Sh!t Happens.

Don't worry about the crash, so what - I lost my ~20 posts, I had to sign up again? Big deal. Keep up the good work and I'll be more than happy to return as a regular reader.