Xfire Sued by Yahoo

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Nemephosis

Earning my Infrequent Flier miles
Aug 10, 2000
The Jackal-XMP said:
but i like teh poop jokes......

Thinking about this...what will become of Firefox? Will M$ try to sue Firefox because it's a far far better product, but does the same basic things?
what's M$? I don't know any company named that.

.altan

Tomorrow
Dec 22, 2001
The Jackal-XMP said:
but i like teh poop jokes......

Thinking about this...what will become of Firefox? Will M$ try to sue Firefox because it's a far far better product, but does the same basic things?

Nothing will happen to

From the 5 minutes I spent looking around, they don't appear to own very many browser-related patents, except one related to using the tab key to switch through links :con: - this I find particularly strange since many web browsers have used that feature well before 1997, like Lynx. Why did they even waste time and money patenting something so trivial?

To my knowledge Microsoft hasn't really gone after anyone for patent infringement yet, though they have done so for trademark infringement (correct me on this if I'm wrong). They have their own cases pf petty patent infringement to look after.

And don't forget that Firefox is open-source, and any effort to shut it down based on patent can easily be shot down due to the widespread distribution and the ability to alter the source. It'd be a big stink anyway.

So yeah, nothing to worry about there.

Of course, people might have said the same thing about Yahoo with XFire. But maybe they wouldn't even bother going after it if it wasn't adware. From their Advertise page:

We offer the only way to reach these passionate gamers while they're actually playing games. Game publishers, movie studios and consumer brands have used Xfire's IAB-standard ad impressions and fully immersive sponsorships to reach their best buyers in an effective, hip, and truly unique way.

Maybe an open source alternative would be better.

Last edited:

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Let's all boycott Yahoo and it's webmail ;) .

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
http://add.yahoo.com/fast/help/us/security/cgi_feedback

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am contacting you to inform you that I will no longer be using Yahoo webmail.

This is following news that Yahoo has decided to sue Xfire on the grounds that some obscure software patent has been infringed.

As a programmer I am heavily against software patents of any kind as they can clearly be abused as leverage by companies with big capital whilst potentially suffocating any innovation as well as bringing harm to the OpenSource initiative.

Also, since you don't offer an alternative to XFire that even approaches the feature set it has, it is clear that your attitude is pretty much selfish and you have no interest in Internet users.

Regards,

dub

Feb 12, 2002
Say, a bit OT but anyone know what happened to that guy who was trying to sue everyone using 3D graphics a little while back?
Did he succeed?

Nemephosis said:
what's M$? I don't know any company named that.
It's because he's implying that microsoft is a money grabbing corporation. You never saw/did'nt know that people used that !? :eek:
And I thought I was an internet n00b... turns out I'm l33t.
Oh btw. n00b = noob = newbie, and l33t = leet = elite.

Course you knew... but you did ask :B

I love to antagonise... \o/

Last edited:

j4a7kk

Feb 7, 2005
did anyone read anything about this??

(Besides Birelli)
how nice of course that there was NO article linked.. Just give a headline and let everyone jump to conclusions, eh?

so:
Yahoo! sues Xfire for patent infringement - News at GameSpot
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/02/04/news_6117964.html

United States Patent- 6,699,125
http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...,699,125.WKU.&OS=PN/6,699,125&RS=PN/6,699,125

As much as I hate ePatents and I'd like back the little guy..

Basically Xfire's VP of Engineering, Krimse, co-invented/filed this patent WHILE he worked FOR Yahoo (filed 2001, issued March 2004). Then he left and joined XFire and made almost the exact same thing as GameProwler. If you read the patent file, it IS about the exact same thing.

The FACTs are: he worked for yahoo, invented this thing, left and joined an upstart to create a similar/competing product (although this is the first i ever heard of Yahoo's GameProwler). And of course, whatever you "invent" while working for a company, usually the company retains the rights, not you; AND you sign something acknowledging you know this.
Sure ePatents suck, but I think Yahoo has a pretty good leg to stand on on this one, IMHO.