Windows98 or Windows ME

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Mixed Bizness

Aug 12, 2000
Scotland
Visit site
ME just for its boot speed

Not to forget that when you type the cursor disapears, this one little feature has made such a differance to my 'puter use :p

I have experiance of both platforms and will reply a bit more in depth when I get home, if I get home

Q. Whats the differance between pariffin and petrol?

AmigaOne|BuF

Masterful
Sep 14, 2000
Lansing, Michigan
Amiga Stuff

My intention is to keep this from getting off topic which is why I say check out http://www.Amiga.com. Amiga Inc. is NOT themselves building a new machine but someone else is. As for the mention of network devices that's exactly what Amiga IS working on. Their new OS is supposed to run on everything. It won't care what processor is underneath. It will just run. As for the hardware it is hard to say but they are talking at least 700MHz but details are not forthcoming at this time.

Phydeaux{RoA}

Phydolike
Jan 11, 2000
Wisconsin, USA
www.bfgn.com
Why ME works for me...

Things still crash, but now apps crash without taking down the OS, hence, reboots become a daily thing instead of an hourly thing. And like they said, I use it as much for the faster startups and shutdowns as anything. Plus, I run the Internet Connection Sharing on it to give the kids internet access through my cable modem connection (and hence, through my firewall).

ME is (currently) the best UT OS imo.

Squeaky

Sep 4, 2000
Visit site
I got a question.

So I have Win98se on my computer already. Can I do the full install of ME without having to format my harddrive?

Prophetus

Old Fart
Dec 4, 1999
...standing behind you...
I recently received Win ME and hated it with a passion. But I left it installed because I knew that current drivers are either not made for Win Me or have not been optimized for this new OS. Well, I'm glad I did keep it. I recently installed some new drivers and wow, it works great. Well, the drivers weren't much help, but when I installed the newest version of GLSetup...the whole thing went racing. Yes, I know it's for OpenGl, but I swear my UT in D3D is better.

I used to experience stuttering before GLSetup but now, no stutters and an increase in frame rates (5 to 10). This also helped my netcode. The only reason I installed GLSetup was to try it out UT in OpenGl. That didn't work so well, but my D3D problems disappeared...strange.

Since then, I don't have any problems with Win Me. And when Direct X8 and Win Me specific (optimized) drivers come out, Win Me will be more stable.

Now, about the Amiga. I was and still am a great fan of that awsome computer. One thing people forget (PC users) is that the Amiga was and is able to use it's operating system and IBM compatible OS's. One thing I like about the Amiga was the OS was on a chip and not a buggy software. You could customize and upgrade the OS if you wanted. I agree that support is important. But if Amiga can use two or more OS's, then it will survive.

Oh, one more thing. The Amiga would have never died out as soon as it did if it wasn't for that idiot Mark Trammel ( hope I spelled it right). Thanks to his superb hindsight, the Amiga died. I will always think of him with disdain.

Squeaky

Sep 4, 2000
Visit site
Ok I tried to install ME... I just ran the setup from the cd in 98se... But it said that it couldn't update it b/c it was the full install and not the win98se upgrade... how do I get it to do a full install??

Swedix

Retired from UT2004
Apr 19, 2000
In position
Thans for all your answers. I'm running Win ME now. It's takes time to get used with it.
What I noticed so far is that my d/l is faster and my ping is a bit lower. Must have something to do with how ME handles IP I think.

Squeaky

Sep 4, 2000
Visit site
Originally posted by Squeaky
Ok I tried to install ME... I just ran the setup from the cd in 98se... But it said that it couldn't update it b/c it was the full install and not the win98se upgrade... how do I get it to do a full install??

Plz help :confused:

Prophetus

Old Fart
Dec 4, 1999
...standing behind you...
Doh, just reread you post and made sense of what you were saying:). Hmmm, strange. Try installing it from DOS instead of through windows. You'll get a dual boot system. Don't install it into the same directory. Call it C:\Millenium (or something, just make sure it's not a name WinMe would use already). Then you can back up your critical windows stuff, like passwords into WinMe. Make a copy of your registry files. A longer process.

Personally, back up all your important stuff on cd. Re format and enjoy.