Win7 x64 SP1 - How Much O/S Expansion?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

How Many GB to Reserve?

• 5GB

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10GB

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 20GB

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • 30+

Votes: 6 46.2%

• Total voters

Vaskadar

It's time I look back from outer space
Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
I'd keep the OS on a separate SATA 2.0 drive, with the backups located on that separate drive. Put all the programs on the SSD.

Cr4zyB4st4rd

I make awesome ©
Aug 8, 2008
P'Boro, UK
My Windows folder on my C is sitting at 21GB + Appdata/Temp of about 8GB that's with W7 64 SP1 and most likley a ton of crap in temp that could be cleaned. No pagefile, system restore+hibernation enabled

That's with god knows how much useless **** tho :)

If only I could get my games on my SSD aswell as my OS. But steam folder of 189GB doesn't fit ;(

rejecht

Attention Micronians
Jun 15, 2009
.no
sites.google.com
30+

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit with SP1 English (no additional language packs) + updates

~30 GiB - C:\Windows
~0,6 GiB - C:\Program Files
~1,2 GiB - C:\Program Files (x86)

- Windows Update will store backup files on the system partition.
- Applications use Application Data on the system partition (C:\Users\Username\AppData). Check redirection of folders.
- Indexing Options
- Volume Shadow Copy services (should be enabled; built-in Complete PC Backup)

One may probably still be able to delete or move Windows Update backup files. The service pack uninstall files were possible to move in previous Windows versions, at least (involving path edits in the registry as per some Microsoft KB article).

~ I manually excluded non-typical applications for this estimate (but not Common Files). However, I have various MS SDKs installed which might have installed various system files in C:\Windows.

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
Once I've installed Windows 7 Ultimate x64, it's Service Pack, updates and all my drivers, how much space would you recommend leaving for further expansion of the O/S (due to updates, temp files etc.)?

AFTER you've installed all that stuff? I would personally just save 5, cause really how hard is it to uninstall a program from the SSD and reinstall it somewhere else if you need extra space. You probably won't run into that problem anyways.

If appdata is gonna be a part of that, then make it 15 or 20. My appdata is currently 8gb and my OS is a mess. :p

Last edited: