WikiLeaks

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
Assange is a weiner.

The founder continually overstates the influences of their actions. Each time he claims ground breaking revelations, and each time the general public says "meh". These leaks have failed to bring to light anything of any significance.

This is why I'm highly skeptical about his claim that their next leak will "bring down a bank or two". Banking industry communication is the most carefully watched in the world. Every email, every phone call, and every WTF typed into a keyboard can send a flag to your manager and or compliance. Deal information is so sensitive that companies are always given codenames just in case the information falls into the wrong hands. Not only is this all required by law, but banks are paranoid schizophrenic about this kind of info. Anybody stupid enough to put their illegal dealings in electronic format where wikileaks could find it would have already been caught.

It is doubtful that any of this will "bring down a bank" or even bring criminal prosecution. The government has already been given access to the records of several banks. Remember that senate hearing where the senators were trying to grill Goldman Sachs employees? Where do you think senator Levin got all of those emails from? The government already tried to use this information to prosecute, and they failed miserably.

With each release wikileaks will continue to lose more and more support. Why? People are going to be all for transparency until it affects them negatively. We can already see the public turning against them as they see the harm it's done to our diplomatic abilities. Even wikileaks insiders are turning against Julian. There are some secrets hiding dark dealings that need to be exposed, but wikileaks doesn't know the difference. The free and open utopia that wikileaks wants where everything you do or say can be made public sounds more like a 1984 style nightmare to me.

Last edited:

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
Each time he claims ground breaking revelations, and each time the general public says "meh". These leaks have failed to bring to light anything of any significance.

One of these things is not like the others ...

I don't now about ground-breaking, but the general public doesn't care. Lots of people are just jaded, some just can't be bothered to care about that kind of thing to begin with.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Most of the time the things he "reveals" are things people already knew were (unfortunately) happening, and his sensationalizing of them doesn't actually do anything but annoy people and fire up the media.

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
I don't think people knew the specifics, rather we assume the government is doing bad things because That's What Governments Do. It's just to the point in our society that we do not give a damn about the government's actions towards other nations, or even to ourselves unless it inconveniences our comfortable lives.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I think people would care if the things being released were anything other than what they expected. For example, the video they released earlier this year was tragic but not unexpected. Despite his best efforts, nobody thought what the video actually showed was as evil as Julian himself thought. Nobody really thought that innocent lives were not being lost in the two middle eastern fronts, so a video showing that they were didn't really strike a nerve with anyone outside of the media.

The same thing is happening with these documents. None of them are striking a nerve with anyone, and it's clearly frustrating to Assange who keeps saying he has more stuff to leak in vain hope that people will remain interested in his life's "work" (although now that INTERPOL has him on their wanted list, I don't know how much talking he'll be doing... that's the funny thing about criminals :p).

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
I think people would care if the things being released were anything other than what they expected. For example, the video they released earlier this year was tragic but not unexpected. Despite his best efforts, nobody thought what the video actually showed was as evil as Julian himself thought. Nobody really thought that innocent lives were not being lost in the two middle eastern fronts, so a video showing that they were didn't really strike a nerve with anyone outside of the media.

Nobody???? Nobody??? You forgot about me! I saw the full size video, it showed the soldiers from the copter being merciless joking arrogant pricks who shoot people for fun...

KHAAAAANNNN!!!!!!
KHAN.gif

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Nobody???? Nobody??? You forgot about me! I saw the full size video, it showed the soldiers from the copter being merciless joking arrogant pricks who shoot people for fun...

KHAAAAANNNN!!!!!!
Paranoid schizophrenics don't count.

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
No more Martin Luther Kings then?

Each time he claims ground breaking revelations, and each time the general public says "meh".

That's the one and only part that worries me about this whole situation. The fact that the public, especially the American public, seem to not care about some of the content of these leaks.

It points to a pretty stunning victory for "bread and circuses" politics in the West.

When the American people see (for example) authenticated footage of American troops killing journalists and then just not care about it, something's badly wrong about society.

It's evidence that people have utterly given up on the concept of changing their society or government. Which is more frightening that anything the leaked files might contain.

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
Its not that people are apathetic. Think back to when we found out about the bad stuff happening in Iraq war prisons. Julian simply hasn't released any actionable information. It would be one thing if it proved crimes, but Julian is releasing this information just to make people look bad.

Several wikileaks insiders have left the organon for this very reason. To the point that julian is practically the only one left running the place. They claim that the man is obsessed with his hatred of the US.

There is perhaps no greater argument against wikileaks than its own secrecy, and how it has attempted to keep information about its own dirty laundry out of the public view.

Last edited:

ZenPirate

Living Legend (and moderator)
Nov 21, 2000
New York

I've been thinking about the consequences of that video being released a lot lately. It may bring some good in the long run, but the immediate effect was to raise the risk of attacks on American troops on the ground. Soldiers who *don't* act like the idiots in the chopper did. It also helped "the terrorists" recruit more people. I'm sure everyone agrees the soldiers are directly to blame for this, the leaked footage did far more harm than good, IMHO

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
Shoot people for fun? Sure, the commentary after the incident was disturbing, but independent investigators found the aircrew operated within defined parameters of the rules of engagement.

I've been thinking about the consequences of that video being released a lot lately. It may bring some good in the long run, but the immediate effect was to raise the risk of attacks on American troops on the ground. Soldiers who *don't* act like the idiots in the chopper did. It also helped "the terrorists" recruit more people. I'm sure everyone agrees the soldiers are directly to blame for this, the leaked footage did far more harm than good, IMHO
How are the soldiers to blame? Because they made off color statements after the fact? The fact that Wikileaks displayed a hacked up video that pushed their anti-US agenda should be reason enough to see this group, and particularly its leader, a threat to not only the US, but every other nation on the planet.

On the issue of Wikileaks and other "press" publishing these documents, there should exist a discipline within the press that regulates itself from publishing sensitive documents that are known to have been obtained through illegal channels. Even though federal law exists that would allow American press to be brought up on charges of espionage and/or treason, no administration dares to enforce it for fear of backlash from the press.

As for that smug POS Assange, the fact that he is now threatening to release operations documents that will have direct affects on out troops and civilians living in the combat areas clearly shows his intentions are less than honorable.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
Those soldiers were ****ing pricks, even if they operated within the area, I remember they asked for permission through radio, but they lied about the situation, they were making stuff up to shoot those people and even insulted them. Seriously. And also the blowing up of the building in the end was weird as well, although that was more justified since those had some weapons, but still wrong.

GRAF1K

****** Kamikaze
Oct 16, 2003
At the risk of being labeled a "paranoid schizophrenic", I find WikiLeaks' work supremely interesting. I don't agree with the popular notion that the people with the most guns decide how information flows, and regardless of their motives I'm glad they're putting a spotlight on whatever they like, regardless of law. I think it's a precedent that ought to be set.

"National security" as a magic pass-phrase to withhold information doesn't impress me.

Firefly

United Kingdom is not a country.
Its not that people are apathetic. Think back to when we found out about the bad stuff happening in Iraq war prisons. Julian simply hasn't released any actionable information. It would be one thing if it proved crimes, but Julian is releasing this information just to make people look bad.

no 5hit sherlock.
that's the idea.

Several wikileaks insiders have left the organon for this very reason. To the point that julian is practically the only one left running the place. They claim that the man is obsessed with his hatred of the US.

There is perhaps no greater argument against wikileaks than its own secrecy, and how it has attempted to keep information about its own dirty laundry out of the public view.

evidence of this please

Firefly

United Kingdom is not a country.
At the risk of being labeled a "paranoid schizophrenic", I find WikiLeaks' work supremely interesting. I don't agree with the popular notion that the people with the most guns decide how information flows, and regardless of their motives I'm glad they're putting a spotlight on whatever they like, regardless of law. I think it's a precedent that ought to be set.

"National security" as a magic pass-phrase to withhold information doesn't impress me.

qft