Where did most of the old BuF crew go?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
I switched to UT with the UT99 demo :)

IIRC, I remember the conversion over at PlanetQuake (my haunt at the time) about how "crap" the new PU boards were cropping up in late summer or early autumn 1999.

But I do remember the PlanetQuake boards before they went brown, which I'm sure get's me some points ;)

Lruce Bee

Transcending to another level
May 3, 2001
Sherwood Forest
My first released map was http://nalicity.beyondunreal.com/map_hub.php?mid=3555 added in June 2000.
Man that seems like a lifetime ago and I have some great memories of the community back then.
I'm pretty sure I was lurking around Nali City back in 99 though and if I remember correctly Hacker86 was a moderator when I hooked up.

Edit: LMAO - 1.08MB file size for that map.

That says it all really

Lruce

Last edited:

Swedix

Retired from UT2004
Apr 19, 2000
In position
I haven't got any screenshots, I'm afraid, so I thought I'd try The Wayback Machine. Green boards were definitely pre December of 1998:

PuF circa 1998

Swedix, Boom, and creatoR are all logged in. Funny stuff.

That is from 2000. If you look at the upper left is says:You last visited: 08-15-2000 01:53 AM
I didn't join PuF until April 2000 and that was under the blue era.

Hehe, I remember LK and some others was running the "Lama Farm" and first time I heard of it I thought it was just a Lama Farm :lol:

Hey Alien, btw. Seeing all these 'oldtimers' here is like being plunged back several years.
Now, where is Prophetus, Yellow5 and Rooster?

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
The Golden Age: 1999-2001

Hehe, I remember LK and some others was running the "Lama Farm" and first time I heard of it I thought it was just a Lama Farm :lol:

My brother didn't have anything to do with that :)

I started it as a "name and shame" thing for cheaters on my website (The Soundoff), which had BloW_Smoke and Skumboy as staff members (who spent a lot of time fixing the wreckage which was my web design).

Later, TSO merged with The Lair (run by RaptoR et al), to create Fusion. Fusion carried on the fine tradition of journalistic randomness (including a very public and violent disagreement with DrSiN and the CSHP team) and game-based lunacy (the Vandalism Tours).

It was a fun time :)

Last edited:

missPoopShoot

voodoo rage
Jul 13, 2003
Cambridge, UK
Visit site
Man, it's been a while since I posted here, I know that much.

I do kinda miss the days of UT2k3 on FragBU (being in that FragBU movie recorded the fact that I used to play **** loads) playing on my 56k modem and trying to get a decent ping to America - not a chance. Irony is, I'm living in the US now! ;) Glad to see a lot of familiar faces though. :tup:

UY

Preacher
Nov 24, 1999
Austin, Tx.
Visit site
I stop by every now and then these days, but not very much in OT.:) Ah, the glory days..........I still remember my original UT install date (June 4, 2000). I discovered UT forums, UT web sites and custom maps shortly thereafter and it's been downhill ever since.;)

I remember when this kind of forum software wasn't around and this place was more like a BBS...when Unreal first came out and all the hoopla about which was better...Unreal or Quake and our visits to Planet Quake to stir the pot. THere was a unique FPStime window there..in 98 and 99 that will never happen again...all the early Unreal clans..the flames and clan matches.

I'm trying to remember the first moderator we had here..at the BBS.

Unfortunately, the chat logs could not be converted or were lost. Some of the most classic of threads go back into 98 and whores posted in them. ;)

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
Most of the people that I consider oldskool (as in were really big names I looked up to when I joined in 2000) appear to just lurk now days. Whenever we mention them by name they seem to pop back up again. I think when you get THAT involved in a forum it's kinda hard to forget. You're going to check back in every once in a while no matter what.

Still I do kinda miss them. I feel that there was a feeling around some of the first generation members that never really got passed on to subsequent generations. Hal is the only regular I really feel the vibe from anymore.

Morety

The Farterator
Feb 23, 2000
Toronto
www.legionoflions.com
The green boards were gone just before I joined in early 2000, so it was in 1999 that the green boards went to the wayside.

It's always good to see UY here, how you doing bud?

Gir

Offensive mode!
Apr 23, 2000
Peking Eend.
Visit site
Heh, I remember you. :)

You can thank my scaley old laptop for my return. I had trouble installing Unreal 2 on it, so I eventually thought of the tech forums here. I figured out the problem myself before I got the account back though. Still, I thought it would be nice to drop by and say hi. :)

tomcat ha

Feb 2, 2002
Visit site
7 years?
eh
really?

buf does seem to slowly become less... active.
This is mostly apparent in the number of people idiling in the chat it seems.
but a lot of the old talkative people are still in there.

Bah_Mee

No one escapes us!

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Heh, I remember you. :)

You can thank my scaley old laptop for my return. I had trouble installing Unreal 2 on it, so I eventually thought of the tech forums here. I figured out the problem myself before I got the account back though. Still, I thought it would be nice to drop by and say hi. :)

I have trouble installing Unreal 2 as well. I can't say that I actually tried doing it though.

Nemephosis

Earning my Infrequent Flier miles
Aug 10, 2000
I've been lurking the last little while, toying with the idea of coming back. But I don't know, I look around and I still see insults flying, people abusing others with thread tags, etc. It's still too similar to the situation I left in 2008, and at my age (almost 31 now) I just don't need that in my life. The tag thing should have been removed due to abuse a LONG time ago.

Zxanphorian

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 1, 2002
PA USA
Visit site
Yeah, you probably don't want to come back. You don't want to be dragged into all these political threads and general drama. Tags wouldn't be too bad if you knew who wrote them. I doubt tag abuse would be a problem then.