Where are they now (Unreal and UT Oldschools)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Null_zero

Jul 11, 2011
Flexoutlaw who I went to college with and is one of my best friends was talking to me about the old days tonight. Played with {RM} in the unreal days moved to DD then 101 proof and finally landed in NBK.

We both decided that nothing could ever beat the pw protected FYM Team server for competition or class. The only people that talked smack there were the BMF loudmouths and we all knew what their schtick was :lol:

Tooly

Jun 26, 2009
I remember you both from Unreal 1. Good times

{ISV-K}Tool-Opiate

Centaurus C1

Last edited:

overtoad

Sep 1, 2011
Dude, Andreas, I couldn't resist man. :) You've coaxed me out from the lurking shadows and the history, hehe.

It seems as though once every couple of years I get the urge to dig up old threads....to help me remember how amazingly great the entire Unreal gaming world treated me, and how much damned fun it was!

It's beyond cool to see all of you posting here. It really is. :) Hell, you even brought up names I'd forgotten....Embodier. Ha! I haven't even thought of that word in a decade, let alone thought about the player. He was the guy who actually invited me to come play in the clan scene.

My God...it seems so long ago, hehe.

I remember playing you and Ulath on the original Deck16 and Ariza maps. At that time, I knew absolutely nothing about the online gaming culture. You guys just played the game for the fun of it, so with that being my first introduction, I just kinda went that way with everything.

Embodier and Trakusure had me playing these dudes in order to get into the clan......Hellraiser and his Canadian buddies. Doodah and .....Quake.....er.....SomethingQuake hahaha...can't remember the rest of his name! Spent a ton of time playing with TOG and DTA as things progressed.

Sheeet....this could turn into something that would make War and Peace look like a short story!

This silly little game....a game I never intended to do anything more than play for the sheer sake of the eye candy......gave me several years of great fun, stress release, and pleasure. I was given a free trip to North Carolina to film that TV show with Infinity and TheOtherGuy and Mass. Destrukt was supposed to go but couldn't get there. He SOOOOO badly wanted to prove just how good he was. That was a great trip.

Tooly you old war-horse, hehe. You were always around helping people as much as you were playing. :)

A couple of years ago I spent a few talking with Stryfe. That reminded me of Void, the only other clanner of mine that used a PantherXL. Why oh WHY did I have to learn on that stupid thing!?!? :lol: I just figured a controller designed for the "new thing of FPS" was a smart move. Boy, did I miss the boat on that one!

Devl you old horndog! It was cool seeing your name on here, but you were always one to keep the boards alive. Hope you're well man.:)

Svennlito, I remember you man. :) You Euro guys were always so friendly. It made Unreal a true pleasure to play and experience. Not just the game, but the online friendships and social interactions.

Sicko, what's up you HPB? (can't recall the last time I typed "HPB" :D ). Best high pinger I ever played. Talk about someone who got the most out of what he had to work with. You'd have made a good marine dude.

Null, it's been years man. If you see Flex, let him know I stopped in and said hi. :) Was there ever a better place to play than the ever-reliable FYM Server? Sure, we had the GB server, but the FYM seemed to just be the "sweet spot" where most of the players could ping-in and have a steady match.

Iceman, I'm glad you named all those names. BPH and his girl Nina. I wonder what happened to them, and if they are still together. They had a little girl if I remember correctly.

So many names remembered, and not nearly enough time to mention them all. All the dudes in NBK, FYM, Goddamned FSU-Wally that bowling fugger! Pox's crazy antics with the rocket launcher. Magic8Ball was Hellraisers cousin. I wonder if Supababe kept her marriage together?

Who else....Dman was running an....ummm....."website"......for discriminating adults years ago. Wonder if that's still happening lol! SATAN and his good-natured chit-talking buds. I miss alot of that.

As I was fading out of the game, it was interesting watching the team aspect of the play begin to evolve. The C1 guys were better collectively than they were individually. I was never a great team player, haha. They truly had the team concept of it all down.

The worst part about this is I am ashamed that I cannot remember AT LEAST half the names I should. My first real bud's name was Brian, yet I can't remember his nickname. I suppose that's a compliment in some way. :)

It's too bad I didn't learn on a mouse. When I got to New York and couldn't compete, that was pretty much the end for me. I had a great time competing in Arizona though. Destrukt was probably the best player I'd been around. I felt a sense of pride in, maybe, helping him along his way.

I do wonder what's happened to many of these guys. You out there TheOtherGuy? Hehe.

There was a guy I used to play in uber-private 1-1 matches. He was on his way up, I was on my way down...fading out of the scene as if in a slow bleed, if you will. Can't remember his name to save my life!

All of you made playing the game pure pleasure. I felt as though there was a brief time when I was very good, and it was an amazing feeling when the hands, body, and mind all moved in unison. When those gaming moments happen, you don't think about movements and actions...they just happen. I was a big fish in a small, emerging pond. It didn't take long for me to get passed by, and I was ok with it. It was a younger man's game. I never played an FPS game until Unreal, and I didn't buy the game until I was 28, an age when hand/eye skilled people are passed their prime :lol:

I have wondered once in a while......I wonder how things would have played out if, when I was standing in the CompUSA store staring at the two games, I had reached for the copy of Quake instead...

Who knows.....maybe this thread will bring out the names of people I'm shamed to admit I've forgotten, but were part of the energy that made Unreal so much a great time in my life. I certainly owe some more kudos to people, so I hope they show up and say hello. :)

War and Peace? Maybe. ;)

gopostal

Jan 19, 2006
Before there were forums we met up on newsgroups and one of the best was alt.games.unreal.tournament

I ran a home coop play U1 server when I could keep the phone line free but I distinctly remember the buzz that was UT, and how we couldn't wait to play it.

Shouts to Sixdarts, Mr K, Meltdown, Flash, Chum, Tut, Deadman, and so many more. We were at the vanguard of online gaming's birth and we had no idea. We all just wanted to have fun, and dammit we sure did :tup:

Sunday Fragfests were the highlight of my week, thank you for all the fun.

{AGUT}gopostal

Tooly

Jun 26, 2009
Toad!! Great to see you post again! You mentioned you had a good friend named Brian. Wasn't he your clan leader in DD and when you broke up he formed AoD right? I think that was his name but I also can't remember his nick.

There is a thread on Prounreal where everyone talks about old times. If you are interested in reading it here is the link: http://www.prounreal.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=76664&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Just looked up another thread on Prounreal to see if he posted there. Was his nickname Asylum? http://www.prounreal.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=59921

Good to see you around man! How do the 40's feel? hahaha

Last edited:

Tooly

Jun 26, 2009
Toad,

Death Demon, the Nvidia guy from the old clan Goodfellas, sends his regards. Said he didn't want to make an account here just to make one post. Lazy bum. He hangs out over at Prounreal with the rest of us old farts. Not many of us around anymore but they DO lurk and post from time to time. Stop by and say hello when you can 8)

Mr.PayDay

Unreal and UT 4 ever =D
Nov 16, 2010
Germany
I think Dayx had a different name earlier on. I'm not quite sure tho.
Yes, his first names were "TerrorOnCurse" (as Curse was his fav map) and FB-BlitZz later before he changed to DayX. We were fakin tho in some Clans like TJBZ as "von Richthofen" (him) and "NoFear" (me) to slay other german Clans in TDM as they thought we were just nonames. After the matches we revealed our nicks and the flames and hilarity began. srs business lol xD

Last edited:

Mr.PayDay

Unreal and UT 4 ever =D
Nov 16, 2010
Germany
$%&^ You For Not Having Anyone From 187 On That List.
hey, no offense :-D
tbh I didn't play them often. And it was just a "personal toplist", not based on stats or whatsoever. Every player back then remembers 187 as an active and damn strong Clan- of course!

Mr.PayDay

Unreal and UT 4 ever =D
Nov 16, 2010
Germany
Wow. I remember so many of these people. Even the German/Euro players. I used to alias my ass off on Euro servers with my 350 ping :)

Man I loved this game back in the day.

omfg its THE High Ping Bastad Sicko:tup:! I only can imagine how horrible it would have been for us if you had a good connection. :D:minigun:

Nice to meet so many of you again, hail to the internet and the possibility to share that memories. When I talk to the young gamers, Apple Nerds and MMORPG Geeks in my company, they react like o_O and :eek:when I tell them that german Internet 1998 meant 33.6K Modems with 250-450 Ping on the servers and made me spent about 300 Deutsche Mark(150 Euros/190 US $ ) every month, just for playing Unreal and this lol:

Zefsq.jpg

Last edited:

Mr.PayDay

Unreal and UT 4 ever =D
Nov 16, 2010
Germany
And even Asylum and Toad found there way into this thread, great to see you here!
When I had a LAN (Planet Insomnia, ~ 400 players) in Germany back in 1999, I remember ColdCut buying a Panther XL...why..."because Overtoad uses one". lol :D Many names I listed were well known in our german scene. I remember Infinity faking sometimes under "IamNew" on the Euro Server, as well as Embodier, Trakkasure, DeathToAll oder SATAN.

I even remember your "good bye" post, Toad, as you mentioned that you will focus more on private issues like a ...hotel(?) and stuff? Sth like that?

I really miss our great community.

What are you all playing nowadays? I really never did stop gaming somehow. Like FYM The Doc told me in ICQ ywars agosaid: "Every man needs a woman in is life..even if they cut down your gaming time".

If anyone of you guys likes to add me, here is my steam id:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/payday-ger/

I am always up for some games of Left 4 Dead 2, Team Fortress 2, Dead Island, Red Faction Armageddon Coop, Dungeon Defenders Coop and soon Battlefield 3 (My Origin ID is: "MrPayDay")

btw i STILL habe my 1998 ICQ Number active and about 200 inactive/old friends from the Unreal /UT days... You guys dont use ICQ anymore, do you?
If you do add: #35782617 :)

Last edited:

Skillz

ut-files.com
Nov 29, 2003
www.planetmonsterhunt.com
Haven't played L4D2 yet, but I do have it. Still busy playing L4D, my Steam ID is lblanchardiii add me up, I usually play late in the evening/middle of the night CST (Usually around Midnight for me)

FleshHarvester

Nov 29, 2011
Randomly came across this

This is FleshHarvester, I founded the KEG clan with Penetrator and AttilaTheHun. Once upon a time I was 15th for DM on NGWorldStats. My brother is HOB who created the CorpseMania mod for UT.

I was talking with a coworker the other day about the old days when I used to play UT and thought to see if there were any traces of my old clan around or my existence and came across this thread! Man I miss the old days going to lan parties, being kicked off servers cause they thought I had an aim bot, playing with all the regulars like Kravnos and C1 clan etc.... well on second thought, could have done without the being kicked off servers bit.

I stopped playing UT hardcore when I went to DigiPen in 2000 but still played up through UT2K4, I am now a game developer myself and work at Kixeye currently. My fps reflexes suck now that I'm in my 30s hah. It was a great time guys, thanks for being part of the community.

Here's some old ss's I found:

CEG2S.png

Playing CorpseMania
GK298.png

Cheers,
- FH

Last edited:

FYM_Sicko

May 13, 2011
Wow so overtoad even showed up.. Payday that old screen shot of Unreal on radikus? was the map? Something like that.

So anyways, these guys i work with say they used to play UT99 back in the day, so of course i had to load it up .. Anyone else load up UT recently? The server list is loonnng but not many servers running NORMAL maps.