What Epic should take from BF2

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Wowbagger

Curing the infection...
May 20, 2000
Sweden
Visit site
I think atleast as a headsup to how people in your team are intending to play its good.

Lets say that when you join a CTF game you get to choose Attack, Midfield or Defense.
It wouldnt hurt if your choices was reflected on your skin somehow either.

This way when playing on publics you would see that youre 10 men on attack and 2 on defense giving you the "subtle" hint that helping out in Defense is a GOOD idea atm ;)

This idea is WITHOUT the Squadleader and Spawning on them since that would tear the gametype apart.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
Wowbagger said:

This idea is WITHOUT the Squadleader and Spawning on them since that would tear the gametype apart.
I'd agree that 'spawning on squadleader' might cause problems in CTF given the map-size and such, but OTOH you'd be spawning with just your default weapon & armor.

I also think that 'squads' should have a leader, since there's no point in having a squad if you can't have one guy tell it where to go.

And finally I doubt that having fixed names for squads is going to help as I doubt that the 'defense'-squad will stay as defense (except in clan-games).

I just thought of something : UT2kx already has a voice-command ('I'm on defense/offense' IIRC). Using that command could automagically assign you to the squad for that task.
At the very least the task of forming and disbanding/leaving squads should be as intuitive and 'in yer face'(tm) as possible. One of the reasons that in BF2 people might not join squads initially is because that part of the interface is a bit hidden.

Wowbagger

Curing the infection...
May 20, 2000
Sweden
Visit site
Well if you deliberatly join the squad named Defense it should to some degree make you play a bit defensly.
Atleast compared to how it is now with everyone "in the same squad" and 99% play freelancer.(on pubs)

And regarding it "hidden" in BF2, thats why i wanted it to popup om serverjoin.
It should have a "remember my choice" checkbox for those that are allergic to it (there always is) so that if you hate the idea just click "midfield" (or whatever) and "remember my choice".

Edit: hmm maybe thats a bad idea that could ruin the concept.
Maybe its better to hide it in the inis or something.

Last edited:

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
But the problem with that is that casual players won't understand the concept of 'midfield'.

And it is those players you'd want to teach a bit about teamplay before they turn into yet another glory-hound ...

I'd even argue that most clans have different ideas about what 'midfield'-players should be doing.

Last edited:

rhirud

Fast learning novice
Feb 20, 2004
Spawning on squadleaders would also wreck ONS. The big difference between UT and BF2 is the pace. It can take ages to get somewhere interesting in BF2 -and there is spawn delay.

So if you are in a firefight in ut2004 against a squad and as soon as you shoot one of them, they resapwn again; that would be awful. Adding a spawn delay to fix this would also be awful.

But knowing where your squadmates are on a map, and acting in concert with them would be great.