What are you reading?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Hunter

BeyondUnreal Newsie
Aug 20, 2001
...Behind You...
www.unrealfans.com
I'm trying to get back in to reading a lot of books. Since I've stopped using public transport so much I don't read at all any more, except the odd comic or graphic novel.

Currently I'm trying to get in to The Abyss Beyond Dreams by Peter Hamilton and would welcome suggestions on where to go next, a BuF Bookclub if you will.

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
I'm almost finished this:

51%2BbYLeLbpL.jpg

I'm a big fan of Fight Club (both the movie and the book) and this work of his is seriously bizarre, twisted and disturbing (just in case you thought Fight Club was disturbing).

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
^Awesome! Finished Rant in two days. Love Palahniuk.
Fight Club feels tame in comparison to Haunted. Chuck's crassest book IMO.

If I had leisure time I'd either try to finish Salman Rushdies' Satanic Verses or Thomas Pynchons' V.

What I am really reading is a bunch of statistics books, an introduction to R and other textbooks dealing with various aspects of psychology. I think I never mentioned it here but I started studying psychology at one of Berlins' elite universities last summer :)

meowcat

take a chance
Jun 7, 2001
I've read through most of Cormac McCarthy's books.... they are generally kind of dark (The Road, No Country for Old Men for example), though "Suttree" was a bit less so. I'd cautiously recommend "Blood Meridian or the Evening Redness in the West". It is probably the most violent book I've ever read, but still strangely interesting. As I'm getting older, violence in movies/TV and other media is less appealing and more appalling, but I would still go see this one in theaters just to see how they portrayed the Judge Holden character, ...if they could ever figure out how to turn this book into a movie.

I also recommend the books "The Box:..." by Marc Levinson and "Ninety Percent of Everything:..." by Rose George. They cover the history and development of the shipping container and a narrative overview and history of the shipping industry respectively. I thought the authors did a good job of making what could be a very dry subject, pretty interesting (they also do a great job of filling out part of the picture of "economic globalization" and how as transport costs dropped precipitously, trade increased, and jobs (labor costs) were shifted to wherever was cheapest). Another book, The Empire of Cotton, was pretty good at looking at the history of cotton growing, spinning, weaving and how it played a major role in world trade and industrialization, but this one was way too long to hold my interest so I never got around to finishing it.

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
^Loved the book too. There is supposed to be a sequel in the works and a movie was discussed at some point too.

My top three Palahniuk books:
1Invisible Monsters
2Rant
3Haunted

The only book that was totally unreadable for me of his works is Pygmy. It's written in pidgin english, didn't like it at all, felt as if the book was starting to erase my English speaking capabilities. Funny cos I love reading Irvine Welshs' scottish books.

tomcat ha

Feb 2, 2002
Visit site
I just finished Samarkand by Amin Maalouf. Good novel and made me a bit sad that it reminded me for how long the middle east has been messed with to its extreme detriment.

Manticore

Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
0275bcbc78f18e7cc6c98d4ec41c7288.jpg

I consider this guy to be much like George R.R. Martin; hugely successful and writes ripping yarns but will never be considered a giant of literature.

Brown is always good for a page-turner and, as I haven't seen the movie yet and got this book from a thrift shop, thought I might give it a go. A good story but, like his other books, it's easy to see how derivative his plots are.

Manticore

Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Just finished this:
eWEIl7s.jpg

A fascinating read dealing with gangs and gang warfare in NYC during the 19th and into the early 20th century. It's a brutally violent history; very barbaric.

Just started reading this:

571121.jpg

A history of martial arts in certain traditions.

Peavey

Rattus Norvegicus
Jul 17, 2001
I've got a collected works of Percy Bysshe Shelley that I've been reading a piece or two at a time. Favorite book I've read in the last few years would be Tom Robbins' Jitterbug Perfume though. Graham Greene is probably my favorite author; it's his novels I've read the most of. I keep going back for his level of detail.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
A book on H R Giger where the man himself tells about his life and lets you explore the wicked corners of his amazing imagination.
It's called H R Giger Arh+ by Taschen.

Always been one of my favourite artists.

Reactions: Manticore

tomcat ha

Feb 2, 2002
Visit site
finished the last book in the three body problem trilogy by liu cixin. What an excellent series that was.
Read Terry Pratchets Reaper man in 1 day
today started reading Past Master by R.A. Lafferty