Well, I think im joining the army.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

LIGHTFIGHTER

11B3H AFA MEMBER
Jul 9, 2002
MOTORCITY
Visit site
MP_Duke said:
>>Now that ive had a few months to think it over I am still not too sure. Something in me yearns so bad to join. The adventure, the discipline and doing things by the numbers all excites me. But theres that inner anxiety of facing combat and having to kill another man that eats me alive. If I truely believed in what I was fighting for I would kill without much quelm. I guess in the end it would probobly be better I didnt join because of that. I simply dont think I could become a number and like it. Im way too passionate.

You forgot the part about of you just might get killed and never have the change to inflict and damage on the enemy......Most people have the Idea that they will be some sort of John Wanye character where they are cool under pressure with bullets flying all around.....ducking RPG's like on TV. bottome line Never under estimate the enemy.........in the current state of the situtation in Iraq he has a better oppurtunity to kill you than you have of killing him. since you will engaging him on his terms..........when and where he decides to ambush you!!

I'M JUST KEEPING IT REAL IN THE FIELD!

Last edited:

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
-Snakebite- said:
(I miss the quote button)
Aww, come on, give the
reply_small.gif
button a chance. :D :)

LIGHTFIGHTER

11B3H AFA MEMBER
Jul 9, 2002
MOTORCITY
Visit site
{GD}NTKB said:
Hey Lightfighter just cause your a soldier and im not doesnt mean you can call me a "punk ass" im far from it, in fact I only listen really to hip hop and classical. Punk is so not my taste.

I cant believe this thread was ressurected but very well, since so many ppl care ill update you all. My brother and mother now want me to join the army or something. My mom suggested I become a medic since im going to college to be a Nurse. Yeah mom thanks alot, ill be patching up soldiers while mortors are exploding around me.

Now that ive had a few months to think it over I am still not too sure. Something in me yearns so bad to join. The adventure, the discipline and doing things by the numbers all excites me. But theres that inner anxiety of facing combat and having to kill another man that eats me alive. If I truely believed in what I was fighting for I would kill without much quelm. I guess in the end it would probobly be better I didnt join because of that. I simply dont think I could become a number and like it. Im way too passionate. :(

WELL NTKB it bothers me that you would join the ARMY(which is a Killing Machine)but not face the fact that you could die and try to choose some job that aviods combat......Remember I'm a Grunt I already have had my ass in the path of danger several times.......knowing that my life expectancey on the battlefield is about 11 seconds I would do it again and again not because If I belive in the cause or not......Phuck the cause. It's about the Men that I'm responsible for or the ones that depend on me to "do my Phuckin Job" If you want to be a Medic then do it but remember your Job is to Patch up soldiers underfire and help keep them alive. Yes many of a medic have been killed in combat doing there Job but alot of people are here alive in the world because of them too....Its the killing business.....I'm not going to lie to you and tell you that you are going to be a better person from a combat experiance....it might very well phuck you up in the head......not to mention that you be killed or mamed. Some days I wonder siting here at my civilian job that I have cheated death and if there is a place for me in the real world!! Am I lucky to surrvive or am I being punished to carry these burrdends around for the rest of my life???

UDTSNAKE

heart breaker and life taker
Nov 16, 2001
Good Old USA
Visit site
Bottom line is that it really doesnt matter. If you screw up on a combat action or in training and get yourself killed or others, the Army will shrug you off like an irritating tick and if you do good and become an Audie Murphy type hero, the Army will shrug you off like an irritating tick. Its a thankless job.

ninjin

The Franco-Japanese Carrot
Feb 24, 2001
Dalhousie Univ., NS, Canada
its called a Self Defense Force rather than an 'army' because under the japanese constitution (Constitution 9) after the defeat of 1945, it is illegal for Japan to own an offensive military (like other armies around the world) and cannot deploy troops overseas (unless it fully admits its crimes in WWII, which they wont admit for quite a few reasons) (which is gradually changing to suit the current situation of events) and as such, the term Guntai (army) is a taboo word for the JSDF (Japanese Self Defence Force).

In other words, Japan has no army, but a self-defense force.

NTKB

Banned
Aug 25, 2001
New Jersey, U.S.A.
Henry the V said:
Bottom line is that it really doesnt matter. If you screw up on a combat action or in training and get yourself killed or others, the Army will shrug you off like an irritating tick and if you do good and become an Audie Murphy type hero, the Army will shrug you off like an irritating tick. Its a thankless job.

I can understand that part. I mean they basically own you when you join, your just a number, another piece of equipment in many ways. But comeon, they do recognize SOME good efforts as the different stars and medals prove? I mean I know its not worth any real monetary value per se but the medals do show that you are recognized above your fellow peers.

UDTSNAKE

Nov 16, 2001
Good Old USA
Visit site
{GD}NTKB said:
I can understand that part. I mean they basically own you when you join, your just a number, another piece of equipment in many ways. But comeon, they do recognize SOME good efforts as the different stars and medals prove? I mean I know its not worth any real monetary value per se but the medals do show that you are recognized above your fellow peers.

Sure, your correct, Im not saying that your completely anonymous, I meant it in a larger sense. The way some large galaxy will shrug off a super nova explosion, it goes on and new worlds are built. People and places get remembered but no matter what it goes on. The only real thing you gotta ask yourself is can you except that. Live or die, hero or not.

Edit: Im speaking generally since I was in the Marine Corps.

Last edited:

chuckus

Can't stop the bum rush.
Sep 23, 2001
Visit site
"Phuck the cause. It's about the Men that I'm responsible for or the ones that depend on me to "do my Phuckin Job""

When I speak to all the soldiers who've been in combat at my reginent and all the korean war vets that come by on mess dinners and such, THAT is the first thing they'll tell you. On a battlefield, it's not your political beliefs, your moral convictions or even your family that motivate you to hop out of that trench and charge, it's the guy next to you who's already jumped out and is half way down the batlefield. I don't care what the risks are, if my brother has got the guts to do that, I damn will too. That's why i don't think about combat now. I just go for the training. I'll enjoy the army and learn from it and if I have to fight, I'll deal with it then. for now just enjoy the ride.

MetalMickey

Banned
Jul 30, 2000
Dublin
it's the guy next to you who's already jumped out and is half way down the batlefield.

If he stuck his hand in the fire would you do it too?

:rolleyes: @ people who will happily go kill a bunch of people without thinking about why, just because some other moron is already doing it. Yay for the army.

UDTSNAKE

Nov 16, 2001
Good Old USA
Visit site
MetalMickey said:
If he stuck his hand in the fire would you do it too?

:rolleyes: @ people who will happily go kill a bunch of people without thinking about why, just because some other moron is already doing it. Yay for the army.

I agree with you. If some unthinking unprofessional dumbass forgot all his training and ran out into a situation that just put himself and his whole company or others in severe jeapardy, I would not follow. Thinking is the key. Tactics and logistics win wars not mindless bravado. The mission is the key, thats the dycotemy that one needs to overcome. Even the most well thought of plans will put you into harms way, you have to remember your training and think through those situations. I dont thinks its a matter of wanting to live or die or being aware of that. i think its a matter of knowing that if everyone dies than nothing is accomplished, so how can the objective be accomplished effectively with minimal loss of life. Gone at that point is the notion of why or how the soldier or marine is there and replaced with the notion that, this is is going to happen, so how to best do it effectively and safely.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
Sure just wait until you get sent to a place in the middle of nowhere to protect a few 'innocents', without backup and few supplies.

Or are american politicians not that dumb ?
Ours have done so twice ... (Sbrenica & currently Iraq ... )
Boy am I glad I didn't join the army ...

Last edited by a moderator:

cleve-ntt

random in the head.
Oct 21, 2003
Lost.
Visit site
How about join the air force as an engineer.

Or you can specifically go in as an armourer.

Now, remember that wonderfull game we call "infiltration"

Remember all those time you got killed by bots because you messed up, then (in my case) threw a tantrum because you thought it was unfair.

Well in real life you cant quit the game.

Last edited:

chuckus

Can't stop the bum rush.
Sep 23, 2001
Visit site
YOu people take things too litterally.

You guys know what a fire fight is right? Throwing as many rounds down range as possible so you put your head down. That's called winning the firefight and gaining the initiative. At this point your ****ed if you put your head down. THe only way to get back the initiative is to styand up and put more rounds down range so that the enemy gets freaked and puts HIS head down. Then you move on the attack flank etc. on the advance to contact, you just move forward till your shot at. At that point your ****ting your pants. Either you hide behind a rock and perhaps live, or fight on. And the only thing that's gonna keep you from diving behind that rock is the guy next to you. Not some joe schmoe. Im talking people you trained with, joked with, drank with. Who let you cry on their shoulder when your mother died, or helped you cope with your overloads in school work. Your regiment isn't a bunch of people you don't know. They're family.

UDTSNAKE

Nov 16, 2001
Good Old USA
Visit site
Well, I didnt know half the guys in my regiment. Knew all the guys in my Battalion (Edit: most of them anyway) though and that was like 300 but thats neither here nor there.

Last edited: