Welcome to the 21st century America

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
if we do nothing, this will soon be 25% and climb every year.
can we at least give progressives credit for trying to do SOMETHING, however flawed?
They aren't the only ones with ideas, regardless of how much they'd like you to think so.

That's making the assumption that, without the regulations, nobody would build a safe building, which is obviously problematic. Some buildings that were built before all the codes and regulations were instituted are still standing and were simply updated to comply.

That was when people weren't AS greedy and assholish as they are today. Nowadays, contractors don't care how the house is built, as long as it's done cheap, quick, and gets paid (of course this includes the inspections nowadays too though)

I've been working in this type of business for 10 years now, I know what goes on with contractors and how it works. :(

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
That was when people weren't AS greedy and assholish as they are today. Nowadays, contractors don't care how the house is built, as long as it's done cheap, quick, and gets paid (of course this includes the inspections nowadays too though)

I've been working in this type of business for 10 years now, I know what goes on with contractors and how it works. :(
I'm not saying regulations are bad, I'm saying that the regulations are not the sole reason buildings are built safely. In fact, there are still lots of shortcuts you can take and get away with it inside those regulations that reduce the quality of the build so I wouldn't attribute ANY of it to the fact that the regulations exist.

Instead, it is the privately employed contractors who are hired to inspect buildings to make sure that they not only follow the safety regulations but are also built well who are securing your safety inside these buildings. :p

Larkin

Gone
Apr 4, 2006
You realize you're making his point for him, right? Doctor's offices and hospitals would still be private businesses; only they would be paid through government funds. A system you just defended.

:tinfoil3:

~Jason

Lol, I remember the last time you made this entire "government contracts = hospitals being controlled by the government" and frankly I let you have the last word on it because the pure hilarity of what you were saying was so absurd, but this time why don't you just pounder a simple thought.

A government contract loosely controls the decisions of the business in only the job on the bounds of an actual agreed on contract under the most current FAR of the time of signing of the contract. To the most part, they're still allowed to make their own decisions as long as they are by the rules of the contract and FAR. The government does NOT reach into the working of the business by this action.

Now think about the comparison your making. Its pretty weak, don't you think? The government by your way would tell the business what they can and can't do in all aspects of the business. It is CONTROL of the business. Yes, its still private by definition, but they are not surely free and being free is what really matters here when using the term privately run. Think about it, without control of the decisions you aren't in control of the success or failure of the business. Without that a huge reason that being a private business means a great freedom is lost. With it the very instinctive for people to care to start their own businesses. If you really think that being private by definition is good enough then I think you should really reconsider why people start a business.

Just noticed some might not know of FAR, so here is a link to the current version and past versions. Linky .

Anyway, I don't wish to debate this with you, so I won't be responding to whatever you say.

Last edited:

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
blah blah blah
Anyway, I don't wish to debate this with you, so I won't be responding to whatever you say.

Wait, what? How does me saying that Brizz inadvertently made the point for the people he was arguing with somehow turn into me stating that "government contracts = hospitals being controlled by the government?"

I was mostly just amused by how superior you are that you won't respond after you have blessed us with your wall of text.

~Jason

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I didn't respond because I didn't feel like there was any need to. I thought the distinction between contractors and employees was pretty well implicitly defined.

Larkin

Gone
Apr 4, 2006
Wait, what? How does me saying that Brizz inadvertently made the point for the people he was arguing with somehow turn into me stating that "government contracts = hospitals being controlled by the government?"

Like you didn't make that point before. :lol: If that wasn't what that little sly remark was about then fine, but don't pretend you didn't make that point before.

I was mostly just amused by how superior you are that you won't respond after you have blessed us with your wall of text.

Because I don't want to deal with your sly remarks and supremacy/government control beliefs I have some sort of superiority complex now? Please.

Last edited: