Weird graphics quality change

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

ZeaLitY

Modernaire
Feb 28, 2008
I'm using the latest OpenGL driver from http://www.cwdohnal.com/utglr/ in both screenshots. A couple weeks ago, UT crashed and when I restarted it, the textures changed to some kind of pixelated dithering, and the brightness was lower than before.

(please right-click > view image to see full resolution and notice the effect)

Before:

Shot0013.png

After:

Shot0020.png

I've screwed around with the settings but I have no idea what caused this, and can't seem to fix it... Playing on D3D9 shows the textures as they're supposed to be (like in the before pic) but this laptop's always been a bit iffy with UT on D3D, so I've preferred OpenGL.

Edit: Wow, wtf...playing on D3D9 also makes my mouse sensitivity lower, even though the value isn't changed...

Last edited:

dr.flay

Dr.Flay™
Sep 19, 2011
Kernow, UK
yourunreal.wordpress.com
This is common with the OpenGL renderer (I have the same issue) just turn the brightness slider up a notch or two.

Have you changed any of the advanced settings (hit the TAB key and type "preferences")? If not then you are just using the defaults which are not ideal.

BTW, can you please scale your screenshots to a sensible 640x480 or 800x600 before uploading please.
Actually on a side note, are you honestly running UT at such a high res? You either have a super computer or don't play many big maps or use many mutators.
I am in awe! but then I only have a 2.5GHz CPU, 1GB ram and a 512MB gfx card.

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
BTW, can you please scale your screenshots to a sensible 640x480 or 800x600 before uploading please.
Actually on a side note, are you honestly running UT at such a high res? You either have a super computer or don't play many big maps or use many mutators.
I am in awe! but then I only have a 2.5GHz CPU, 1GB ram and a 512MB gfx card.
1280x800 is a high res nowadays? Any computer in the past eight years should be able to max out UT without a single hiccup. I'm not sure why you think 1280x800 is high res because with your computer specs your have more than enough for UT at 1280x960. I can run the game at 2046x1536 all settings maxed, AA 16xQ CSAA and Aniso at 16x with 16 bots in one room and still get over 100 FPS.

Anyway ZeaLitY, it looks like you're running UT in safe mode instead of OpenGL which is why it's using the software render engine, but it usually asks if you want to run it in safe mode after a crash, so that's kind of strange. But if D3d9 works fine then I don't know why it wouldn't work for OpenGl. Try moving your unrealtournemant.ini and/or opengl files somewhere safe and then start up the game. If that fixes it, then some parts of your unreatournament.ini file/opengl files became corrupted somehow during the first crash.

Last edited:

ZeaLitY

Modernaire
Feb 28, 2008
I've concluded it must be my laptop at this point. I haven't played UT for a while, and I can remember getting a driver update a couple months back for this card (GF 9600M GS).

What seals it is that I keep two installs of UT; one for multiplayer, and one for singleplayer/BT with all those beautiful S3TC textures from the project installed. I haven't touched that singleplayer install in months, and now it's suffering from the same problem (in fact, it crashes when you load a map, but it freezes in a way that I can see it's using software renderer too).

Sigh...looks like it'll have to be D3D9. At least D3D9 works now...when I got this laptop, it was pathetically slow and horrible (probably some dual core issue or something).

Edit: Okay, maybe not D3D9...my mouse moves sooo slow in D3D9 for some reason. I changed sensitivity to 14 and it's still horrible. Sigh..

Last edited:

medor

Mar 15, 2009
Edit: Okay, maybe not D3D9...my mouse moves sooo slow in D3D9 for some reason. I changed sensitivity to 14 and it's still horrible. Sigh..

Takes this configuration. http://unrealtournament.99.free.fr/utfiles/index.php?dir=UT_Demo/&file=WarConfig.rar The problem is solved on it.

It contains 3 levels of quality; for you to choose (available in the 3 OpenLS or D3D9) The settings are optimized in the 3.

1/ StartConfig is the most beautiful but also the most delicious (using Antialiasing and Anisotropic Filtering )
before http://unrealtournament.99.free.fr/images/Ameliorer son visuel1.jpg
after http://unrealtournament.99.free.fr/images/Ameliorer son visuel2.jpg
**No ned s3tc textures for that.

2/ MediumConfig

3/ WarConfig for warriors hard and fast
trace.gif