Watt woes?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

GoldenMouse

Mad Hatter
Nov 14, 2001
Backwoods Ohio
Visit site
It's almost that time again, time to upgrade the ole video card, but this time around, I'm running into some difficulties. The newest generation of video cards consume huge amounts of power, and I was recently seduced by shuttle's sexy line of XPC's, which unfortuantely have small power supplies. So does anybody here know of how I can figure my system's total consumption, the consumption of my current card, and that of a new one, to make sure it all comes in under 200 watts?

GoldenMouse

Mad Hatter
Nov 14, 2001
Backwoods Ohio
Visit site
Unfortunately, all that means is that I can have an extremely ghetto setup in which my case is open all the time and the power supply sits beside it. Not going to go for that option.

Rukee

Coffee overclocks the overclocker!!
May 15, 2001
Over here!!!
Visit site
I wish I had one of those watts up devices....wonder what the VapoMAXX draws! :p

Looks like you should be good to go with the power supply you have. :)

GoldenMouse

Mad Hatter
Nov 14, 2001
Backwoods Ohio
Visit site
I'll still get that 250 you pointed out when I do upgrade. Gotta get some money and wait for prices on the new gen of cards to drop first. After all, what good is a spankin' new card if you can't afford the games that'd push it?

GoldenMouse

Mad Hatter
Nov 14, 2001
Backwoods Ohio
Visit site
Question. I just took an old power supply I had lying around, shorted the "on" lead to a ground lead as per the volt mod, and attached a cathode to it (via inverter, of course). Do you foresee any long-term complications? (There is a high-pitched whine. I have yet to determine whether it's a fan or electrical noise.)

Edit: This was the inspiration. Mine isn't nearly as involved, though.

Last edited: