Viruses.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

WaitForTheRain

Feb 26, 2008
UK
To get straight to the point - My PC has a virus. I think that it came from a USB flash drive which I have just formatted to prevent the virus from spreading further. The virus is a worm that appears to be either quite rare or new as a large ammount of virus scanners don't pick it up. My PC is infected with two versions of the worm: W32.Gammima.AG and W32.Gammima - This worm supposedly attempts to steal passwords for various online games, such as:

ZhengTu
Wanmi Shijie or Perfect World
Dekaron Siwan Mojie
HuangYi Online
Rexue Jianghu
ROHAN
Seal Online
Maple Story
R2 (Reign of Revolution)
Talesweaver

I have enough of a life not to go on any of the above sites, but would still like to get rid of the virus, obviously.

I'm using Norton Internet Security 2006 which easily detected it, but aparently can't delete, quarantine or do anything to the file. On a few occasions norton has managed to delete the files through autoprotect, but this only happens a small amount of the time.

I think that the virus has also edited the registry in some way as I can no longer view hidden files, which is generaly a typical sign of a virus. whenever I select the option the show hidden files, and select OK or Apply, the setting change doesn't take hold and when I re-open the folder options the setting has reverted to "Do not show hidden files"

Any help towards either of these problems is would be greatly appreciated so thanks in advance.

WaitForTheRain

Feb 26, 2008
UK

No it doesn't stop me using google. - I think I may have managed to ged rid of it but something is still ****ing with the registry.

Something keeps on changing the values for viewing hidden files and folders. Virus scans aren't comming up with anything though.

Derdak2rot

DVD2r
Jan 8, 2005
France
I'm using Norton Internet Security 2006 which easily detected it, but aparently can't delete, quarantine or do anything to the file. On a few occasions norton has managed to delete the files through autoprotect, but this only happens a small amount of the time.

I think that the virus has also edited the registry in some way as I can no longer view hidden files, which is generaly a typical sign of a virus. whenever I select the option the show hidden files, and select OK or Apply, the setting change doesn't take hold and when I re-open the folder options the setting has reverted to "Do not show hidden files"

Any help towards either of these problems is would be greatly appreciated so thanks in advance.

:rolleyes:

if you dont want viruses , dont use that norton crap, and even more if its outdated ;)
buy a real anti-virus like kapersky or Bit Defender .. even Avast ( which is free ) is way better than norton ..any of these 3 will works flawlessly and are not that ressources hanging like norton is ..

and to complete this , use some programs liek Ad-aware and spybot in addition to completely remove it ..

Last edited:

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
I wouldn't put flawless and anti-virus in the same sentence.

There's exactly one single way to make sure you got rid of the thing and everything it might have dragged on board. Fresh install. That possibility might vanish in the future or get a lot harder so enjoy it while it lasts.

WaitForTheRain

Feb 26, 2008
UK
buy a real anti-virus like kapersky or Bit Defender .. even Avast ( which is free ) is way better than norton ..any of these 3 will works flawlessly and are not that ressources hanging like norton is ..

and to complete this , use some programs liek Ad-aware and spybot in addition to completely remove it ..

I agree, norton is pretty ****, but I've been using Avast and Spybot on the side, and neither of them have found anything

WaitForTheRain

Feb 26, 2008
UK
Ok, i've managed to get rid of the virus but something is still ****ing with the registry, so i've still got the hidden files and folders issue. Got loads of different antivirus stuff. None of it finds anything though. I've used BitDefender, Norton, Avast, Spybot and A-Squared. none of it comes up with anything so i'm not sure what's going on with my PC.

Any advice?

WaitForTheRain

Feb 26, 2008
UK
Ok, resorted to formatting the drives and putting on a fresh installation of windows, so its sorted. Anyhow, what antiviruses would you recommend using in general? Because I want something that will hopefully reduce the chance of a big ****up in future.

- Thanks for your help by the way.

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
I can't really help with that. I use AntiVir but don't expect it to be any better or worse than other products. Except for games I'm moving away from Windows anyway and my next gaming PC might be without AV software.