Video card upgrade for a Dell Inspiron 530

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Unreal4Eva

BioHazard!
May 19, 2009
Over the weekend I picked up a Dell Inspiron 530 at a yard sale for only 20 bucks. Not a bad deal huh? Anyway I took it home and turned it on and the computer works great but the onboard graphics suck big time. What's best video card upgrade for a Dell Inspiron 530 desktop?

System Specs:
Dell Inspiron 530
Intel Pentium 4 processor 2.0 GB
280 GB HDD
Ram: 2GB DDR2
PSU: 300 Watts

[GU]elmur_fud

I have balls of Depleted Uranium
Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
Over the weekend I picked up a Dell Inspiron 530 at a yard sale for only 20 bucks. Not a bad deal huh? Anyway I took it home and turned it on and the computer works great but the onboard graphics suck big time. What's best video card upgrade for a Dell Inspiron 530 desktop?

System Specs:
Dell Inspiron 530
Intel Pentium 4 processor 2.0 GB
280 GB HDD
Ram: 2GB DDR2
PSU: 300 Watts

gonna guess you mean 2.0ghz... but that would make it a 530s the 530 has a 1.8ghz proc(unless you are just rounding up or it was overclocked), both systems have a dual core.

Your onboard video should be a Nvidia GeForce 8300GS on either if I recall but with an anemic 128MB of GDDR2.

If you are wanting to turn it into a gaming rig or media pc... It has 2 PCIe ports. The primary being PCIex1 ... no x16... :/

Newer cards will run yeah, but at the x1 bandwidth so you may want to weigh cost vs perf advantage on that basis as well.

Ebay may be your best friend here if you are wanting a perf card.

Last edited:

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
Any nVidia 500 series chipset would probably do me on those specs.

Waste of money, would be completely bottlenecked by the rest of the system. Something like a 9800GT is probably about as far as you can go with a machine like that (and it may still bottleneck). On the plus side, you can run almost all current games on a 9800GT with the settings down a bit, and it costs about $40.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
In all honesty, I suspect upgrading the GPU is a waste of time. The machine is fine for non-gaming stuff, but for games it's never going to be up to much unless you want to run games that are a decade or more old.

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
Waste of money, would be completely bottlenecked by the rest of the system. Something like a 9800GT is probably about as far as you can go with a machine like that (and it may still bottleneck). On the plus side, you can run almost all current games on a 9800GT with the settings down a bit, and it costs about $40.

It would surprise me if a 9xxx series card would be worthwhile spending money on.

Also Windows Vista drivers.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
One of my machines is still running on a 9800GT - it still hasn't encountered a game it can't run on fairly high settings :)

Obviously this is going to change in the coming 12 months.

Benfica

European Redneck
Feb 6, 2006
A video card isn't going to do much good until you get a better power supply.
Hope that the 6670 is fine for such a weak PSU. It's rated 75W and requires 18A on the 12V rail

From what I've read, the Dell doesn't have a Pentium 4, but a low end version of the Core2Duo. If so, it isn't a power hog

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2002
Denver Co. USA
Visit site
Last edited:

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005