UT3 VCTF-HangingGardens[Pics][PC][PS3]

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

ACZ

pureLIGHT Guru
May 17, 2009
Canada
www.purelighttech.com
That a good observation; we do have some lights for the non-pureLIGHT objects (foliage, cliffs, characters, vehicles, etc) - I could have spent more time with these lights (currently they are tuned basically for outside sunlight), but you can imagine that time was in short supply as the contest deadline approached ;)

There is no way currently to "sample" lighting from the lightmaps, but placing lights for dynamic objects is relatively straightforward. Unreal's own fake-indirect-light via the composite dynamic and light environment system is already a really powerful solution for lighting dynamic objects, especially in a fast paced game such as UT3.

Also, while the Bar area has some interesting lighting, I didn't push as hard as I could have in those spaces as they see an extremely small fraction of actual gameplay.

Hope that answers your question,

A

Phopojijo

A Loose Screw
Nov 13, 2005
Canada
I seem to have a bit of a problem getting SMeshes to accept dynamic lights from dynamic objects (flag, translocator (aka xLoc), etc), but not accept dynamic lights intended for dynamic objects.

Then again I haven't really done much hardcore lighting yet so it's probably something silly I'm doing.

ACZ

pureLIGHT Guru
May 17, 2009
Canada
www.purelighttech.com
In the context of this map, the dynamic objects are lit by their light environment, which uses Unreal's composite dynamic lighting system. I have a couple of skylight and sunlight light sources that affect this system, and thus light the colors and affect their shadows.

I would do some research into lighting channels and light environments. Google is your friend, but http://waylon-art.com/LearningUnreal/UE3-09-Lighting.htm is probally a good place to start.

If you have any questions regarding pureLIGHT I'd be happy to answer them though ;)

Cobra

Dec 15, 2005
Montreal, Canada
I don't know if it whas posted before. Your map shoud have being a CTF-. Great visual map, really great map. But the bots are simply terrible whit the vheic: always stuck here and there

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
My opinion remains on the VCTF concept of this map, it needs non-wheeled vehicles IMO. IE scavenger, mantas, raptors, vipers, ETC.

I'm disappointed that some level designers drop the necris vehicle just because they don't see it fit. Yet another reason for me to say that the whole Necris thing is silly and shouldn't have been made in the first place.

Phopojijo

A Loose Screw
Nov 13, 2005
Canada
Yeah I saw that when I was playing through it... but I'm not really an expert on that stuff.

One last thing I should mention -- your map REALLY works well at high resolutions (due to the lack of clutter and how well the detail you do have looks). On your website you have high resolution screenshots, but you really should have some in the first post of this thread too...

[screenshot]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v342/Phopojijo/hanging_gardens.jpg[/screenshot]
[screenshot]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v342/Phopojijo/hanging_gardens2.jpg[/screenshot]

It used to be necessary to drop the resolution of your images to compensate for the lack of detail... but this looks good even at high resolutions. Kind-of like Team Fortress 2 in the sense that the attention is all in the lighting and shading.

M.A.D.X.W

Aug 24, 2008
Okay so M.A.D.X.W. steered me wrong... so I decided to just simply open up the editor and look for myself.

Seems like you're multiplying in the pre-calculated lighting to the shaders themselves. It seems like from the shader you're taking care of the specularity by a cubemap too.

... if that's right... hah... that's cool. Probably a pain in the arse to get it running, but lets face it, your results are great.
Thats what i meant.... :p

_N_

addicted to mapping
May 23, 2008
Canada
I don't know if it whas posted before. Your map shoud have being a CTF-. Great visual map, really great map. But the bots are simply terrible whit the vheic: always stuck here and there

Hey, I can hopefully clear up some stuff on these topics ;). I should start by pointing out that the map was designed as a VCTF map from the very beginning, and is a pure-blooded VCTF map through-and-through. It was not built or designed for any other gametype. We gave the map design a lot of thought and planning, and there are several reasons why we chose VCTF:

Firstly, VCTF is the most popular gametype online that is still open to custom maps (Warfare gamers, for example, seem to prefer their stock stuff... such a shame, really) and we definitely wanted our map to be enjoyed as large a number of people as possible.

Secondly, neither Andrew nor I play DM or CTF online, and Andrew doesn't play Warfare either (he's a very busy guy afterall ;)). As a general rule of thumb, I don't design maps for gametypes I don't play. That's just ludicrous when you think about it really. I mean, can you image a novel written by an author that doesn't read novels? :lol: Even writing for a genre you've never read doesn't make sense as you're basically just taking a shot in the dark or "best guess" about what readers of that genre like ;).

Similarly, I have no idea what CTF players like or dislike (I dislike all of CTF myself, actually... way too close to DM for me, mostly reliant on your aiming skills, not much strategy involved IMO (heh, watch me get berated by CTF players for that)). But when you look at it, tons of stuff will break with Hanging Gardens in CTF. Breaking glass to thow off pursuers is now no big deal because enemy players will just translocate back up. Energy bridges will have no real purpose because players can just translocate over them. Strong powerups will be very accessible now because players will translocate up there no problem. Flag carriers will find it nearly impossible to get away because enemies will translocate to catch up (i.e. getting from a spawn point to the enemy flag room will take all of 8 seconds by translocating, whereas flag carriers have to walk the whole way, and can't even use a hoverboard to speed them up when they're in cover).

Now, VCTF, on the other hand, is a gametype I play all the time (pretty much every night for the past 8 months or so since I switched over from Warfare ;) ). The smaller size for Hanging Gardens (as I said, it's only slightly larger than VCTF-Kargo) besides working with pureLIGHT better, is due to the clear shift in popularity of VCTF online to smaller, more compact maps. If you look at the most popular custom VCTF maps online, the maps you see are VCTF-AnarchyHalls, VCTF-FeelGoodInc, VCTF-Shoebox, etc. All are small compact maps. Even my old VCTF-TrainCrossing (which is about the same size as VCTF-Suspense) is losing out to these smaller compact maps :crysmile:. HangingGardens is still larger than all the maps I just listed. By the new shift in VCTF map size standards, it's probably soon going to be called an "average" sized VCTF map (what an unreal world we live in :rolleyes:). There's plenty of reasons for the shift I'm sure. Smaller maps are quicker to learn, faster to download, generally perform better, and work well with servers that have few players (play better with Greed too). "More approachable" might be part of the reason too. The people know what they want... :rolleyes:

I've been fortunate to play it online quite a few times now, and the feedback in-game has been very positive. Players comment on the good action, performance, and visuals, and how it's something different that breaks away from the norm, the unwritten "rules" (breaking away from the norm was one of our primary goals ;)). There were a few comments about the need for more Avrils, though, something else to look at for version 1.2). I'd love to play all you guys online sometime and give you the grand tour! I'm usually on dFb and Hedsteem in the evenings! See you guys there!

Regarding the bots, yeah, I've seen them sometimes get caught on geometry with scorpions, but that's hardly surprising behavior coming from them :lol:. I think you'll find the bots are much the same way in Kargo (they don't really use the jump-ramps either) but with the map being about 50% foot/hoverboard based anyways, it's not exactly a show-stopping issue ;). Attempting to improve vehicle handling is another goal for version 1.2, but there's not much more we can do other than manually block the path nodes for vehicles in these high-trouble areas (in which case, they might start abandoning them in the middle of the roads instead... a slight improvement I guess :rolleyes:).

Oh yes, high-resolution screenshots are a good idea too :D. We didn't have any in our initial post in accordance with server rules prohibiting forcing massive downloads on people with slower internet connections (or possibly using mobile devices), but it should be fine if we post the images on a separate site and just link to them. Perhaps they'll be hi resolution shots on the pureLIGHT site soon. Keep an eye out for 'em! ;)

Last edited:

Cobra

Dec 15, 2005
Montreal, Canada
It is your map your the boss. But the way it is, when playing whit bots. It is verry easy to score almost at will, if your on the blue side. Just take they upper route to your right, and you score at will. But if you play mostly online I understand.

And yes I saw SO many maps in UT3(mostly of epic) that are so badly pathed, that it is even not funny, WAR-VCT-DM-CTF- it is a pity to whacht.

That is simply due to the fact that, they don't really care.

I took War-Torlan, and I made it a VCTF- of corse the bots pathing, players starts and all that had to be redone. But the map is perfect bots wise.

It is only a matter of doing your home work.

But like I said it is your map. But you did a masterpiece whit it. When I will have some time, I will make it a CTF- whit it. Great job again

Last edited:

Darkdrium

20% Cooler
Jun 6, 2008
Montreal
What I meant was there is the problem of N/ACZ agreeing or not. It's their work, I doubt they will appreciate someone modifying it without their consent. ;)

NATO_chrisjm

Jan 31, 2004
Aberystwyth
tac.tauniverse.com
Managed to play it last night, it is rather awesome =D

The only critical remark I can make is that due to the art style I did got lost a few times, but I managed to find my way very quickly afterwards.

The glass is a great tactical advantage when flag running “Oh! I see! Your chasseing me? BOOM!!! NOT ANYMORE HAHAHAHAH!!!”

Kanthem: Copy paste it into a new file ... ?

ACZ

pureLIGHT Guru
May 17, 2009
Canada
www.purelighttech.com
You are more than welcome to manipulate the map on your own PC, but if there is going to be a public CTF version of the map (or any other variant for that matter), I would prefer to author said version with _N_.

I do wonder how well CTF would play (at the least, a lot of the strategy starts to fall short), but I can see the possibility of releasing a few variants of this map later over the summer. (I am especially interested in a night version; I just have to find the time to build that).

The glass is a great tactical advantage when flag running “Oh! I see! Your chasseing me? BOOM!!! NOT ANYMORE HAHAHAHAH!!!”

One of those great moments - really glad we stuck with it and got the glass working (they should have such systems out of the box with UT3)

As for high res screen shots, check out the Desktop tab at the pureLIGHT site.

A

Phopojijo

A Loose Screw
Nov 13, 2005
Canada
As for high res screen shots, check out the Desktop tab at the pureLIGHT site.

A
Yeah I mentioned you had high res shots on your website... but it'd be great to have on the map intro page itself.

Even if it's low res shots on the page linked to high res shots.

Your map is capable of sustaining full eyecandy at high res... might as well do it.

ACZ

pureLIGHT Guru
May 17, 2009
Canada
www.purelighttech.com
Fair point; (I'm all for more eye-candy) - I'll talk to _N_ about modifying the front page.

In the meantime, if you have any cool action shots (particularly with people or vehicles falling through the glass / bridges) feel free to post them here! (we could even add them to the user-desktop page on the pureLIGHT site).

A